Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
With the low cattle numbers and soon-to-be high replacement prices, I have been kicking around the idea of buying well built yearling heifers to turn into breds then sell. Or buy young pairs what're open.

Would this be a good play potentially? What's a good alternative move.

Breeding cattle are still pretty cheap here.

I've got lots of extra grass this year assuming precipitation is halfway decent.

Last edited:
With the low cattle numbers and soon-to-be high replacement prices, I have been kicking around the idea of buying well built yearling heifers to turn into breds then sell. Or buy young pairs what're open.

A decent 700lb heifer cost 1500 to 1800. Im not sure where the profit is in it. But look how much prices have changed since December.

Not sure buying high priced heifers , breeding them and then selling as breds will make you any money . Young poor cows with 2nd or 3rd calves looks to be the best way to me . Worm , add weight , maybe sell one calf from them and then sell as breds or with calf at side . I think prices will be strong for the next 3-4 years .

I did the bred heifer deal in '13, '14, '15, & '16. Worked well in '13. Paid very well in '14. Worked good in '15 but I contracted them early. I debated with myself about doing it in '16. I did it but ended up giving back the money I made in '13.

I vaccinated, bred AI, PI tested, and did everything I could think of to increase the value. Raised enough to make a truck load. In '13, '14, & '15 they shipped out of state. Selling locally I don't think I would have broke even. In 14 I profited $1,000 a head. in '16 I lost $300 a head. Timing is everything.

If you could find any a year old to buy! I was watching a KY sale today. Black heifers averaging 485 brought $3.58. White, yellow, smoky, etc heifers the same size were $2.38- $2.53. Another bunch like them, but that averaqed 755 brought $2.54. More sets of heifers than steers today at this one, but dang! And the KY sales usually are the lowest priced of them all every day. Most commercial cattle producers, if they are gonna buy heifers, would prefer them open. You buy commercial bred heifers at a sale, you dunno what they are bred to. Only time I see bred heifers do well, is at production sales, where you know what they are bred to, have the pedigree, EPD and other info there on the sire, etc.
But, you do have a hell of a bull, with all the credentials you could ask for, so you might could sell them bred. How much you think yearling heifers will cost you up there? I just sold 6 mos old, 1/2 Corriente heifers for $850 each. And today in KY, I watched 750 lb black polled heifers sell for $1905.

I have 11 black heifers , 4 of which are baldies . 1 with some brangus and 1 Brahma cross . All out of registered angus bulls . They are 12 -15 months old and I'd guess them 750 on average . I'm planning on putting a bull in the first of June . As nice a group as we have ever raised . image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    544.4 KB · Views: 7
I have been debating holding the heifers out if that little group of calves we have on feed. There was still a decent spread on heifers vs steers as of the last report. Just making up that spread and the auction barn commission can add up if you sell them private treaty for replacements.

B asked me what fancy 700 pound heifers were bringing at the sale. They were right about $1,735. How many dollars to put everything into them and sell in October? My thumbnail guess is you would need to get $2,200/2,300 to break even.
That is right in line with what those 7weight black polled heifers brought in KY yesterday at $2.54/lb. They averaged 755lbs, actually, so that was $1900 each. I got a feeling those weren't bought to be replacement heifers, though. I think they went to slaughter. Or to a feedlot, then to slaughter. So, @ClinchValley86 could very well get $2300 or more for his breds. Would people pay $2800-$3k for a bred heifer? If you can raise her calf to 700 lbs and sell it for $1900...even more for steers... I think they would pay that. 2024 is going to be a wild ride.

Bred heifers here, have been bringing $2-3,000 right along... with not alot of information and such. Most will say they were bred to an easy calving bull.... There is a cow sale next week... bred cows, cow/calf pairs, bred heifers. Will be interesting to see what they bring....

If you could find any a year old to buy! I was watching a KY sale today. Black heifers averaging 485 brought $3.58. White, yellow, smoky, etc heifers the same size were $2.38- $2.53. Another bunch like them, but that averaqed 755 brought $2.54. More sets of heifers than steers today at this one, but dang! And the KY sales usually are the lowest priced of them all every day. Most commercial cattle producers, if they are gonna buy heifers, would prefer them open. You buy commercial bred heifers at a sale, you dunno what they are bred to. Only time I see bred heifers do well, is at production sales, where you know what they are bred to, have the pedigree, EPD and other info there on the sire, etc.
But, you do have a hell of a bull, with all the credentials you could ask for, so you might could sell them bred. How much you think yearling heifers will cost you up there? I just sold 6 mos old, 1/2 Corriente heifers for $850 each. And today in KY, I watched 750 lb black polled heifers sell for $1905.
They seem to be much cheaper at the two sales I've been attending. Colored heifers around 800 pounds around $2 if I'm remembering correctly. If not cheaper. But like you said, there haven't been many of them.

On the other hand, young thin breds have been 1300 to 1800. Takes a real good one to bring over 2000.

I remember my papaw getting $3500+ per pair in 2014 or 2015, whichever was my first year here.

I also considered buying thin slaughter cows and making them fat, then selling. Roughing the figures and with the present slaughter market that'd make $750+ per head in however long it took. I figure it could happen in 90 or 120 days. Is that a realistic time frame is my question.

I bigtime appreciate all of yall weighing in.

I do think the heifers route will take more time than I want to commit to them, but it does offer a couple options. I could always keep them open and finish I suppose.

Bred heifers here, have been bringing $2-3,000 right along... with not alot of information and such. Most will say they were bred to an easy calving bull.... There is a cow sale next week... bred cows, cow/calf pairs, bred heifers. Will be interesting to see what they bring....
I'd be curious to hear what they bring at the sale if ya think to report back.

@Warren Allison - The bull is coming along nicely. That's a big part of wanting to get a class that needs breeding. I'm hesitant to put him on salebarn cows on account of STDs... is that a reasonable worry? I do have a decent black homeraised SimAngus I could use on salebarn cows if that's the route to go.

Yearling heifers I've seen for 1.50 to 2.25, depending on quality and color.

I have been debating holding the heifers out if that little group of calves we have on feed. There was still a decent spread on heifers vs steers as of the last report. Just making up that spread and the auction barn commission can add up if you sell them private treaty for replacements.
The spread is great enough that I'm considering doing the same.

I've seen little rhyme or reason for the price difference across heifers. Some do good and some don't. And they look the same to me. I figure they'd nitpick mine...

They seem to be much cheaper at the two sales I've been attending. Colored heifers around 800 pounds around $2 if I'm remembering correctly. If not cheaper. But like you said, there haven't been many of them.

On the other hand, young thin breds have been 1300 to 1800. Takes a real good one to bring over 2000.

I remember my papaw getting $3500+ per pair in 2014 or 2015, whichever was my first year here.

I also considered buying thin slaughter cows and making them fat, then selling. Roughing the figures and with the present slaughter market that'd make $750+ per head in however long it took. I figure it could happen in 90 or 120 days. Is that a realistic time frame is my question.

I bigtime appreciate all of yall weighing in.

I do think the heifers route will take more time than I want to commit to them, but it does offer a couple options. I could always keep them open and finish I suppose.
Been the feeder cow fought, unless you want to feed them hard and sell white fat cows there isn't much gain or profit in lb cows.
I like the pricing on thin, breds there. They look like best possibility for profit in your area..

Having said all that, we are putting together 200 grass yearlings and will be buying 40 more breeding heifers in a couple weeks. Buyer just messaged an hour ago and said he had some light calves in a private sale. Will know later today how many.

Wait until the spring grass fever is over.
Will be mid May when I make a move. Need to keep animals long enough to make 1 pass across the hay fields to delay timing of first cut to give me some flexibility.

Got the beefs going end of this month and will dump calves between now and then.

Figure I'd be best to bring the calves up your way when the time comes.

Last edited:
Been the feeder cow fought, unless you want to feed them hard and sell white fat cows there isn't much gain or profit in lb cows.
I like the pricing on thin, breds there. They look like best possibility for profit in your area..

Having said all that, we are putting together 200 grass yearlings and will be buying 40 more breeding heifers in a couple weeks. Buyer just messaged an hour ago and said he had some light calves in a private sale. Will know later today how many.
From what I've been seeing here thin pound cows are around 1.00 weighing 900 to 1100. Fat cows are 1.30 to 1.40 weighing 1300 to 1600. My luck though the slaughter market would drop as soon as I was ready to sell them.

I do like the thought of thin breds. I feel like it's almost a guarantee that class of animal will be in high demand later. And if not would have good options.

@Warren Allison - The bull is coming along nicely. That's a big part of wanting to get a class that needs breeding. I'm hesitant to put him on salebarn cows on account of STDs... is that a reasonable worry? I do have a decent black homeraised SimAngus I could use on salebarn cows if that's the route to go.

Yearling heifers I've seen for 1.50 to 2.25, depending on quality and color.
No, I wouldn't worry about STDs. An open heifer hasn't had a chance to get Trich from a bull, like a cow that has been bred.

You see all kinds at a sale. People will speak up, or the auctioneer will, and tell how long they have been weaned, what vaccs and when they have been given, etc. Then there are those run through by the pound, that nothing is said about them... they obviously are intended for slaughter or to go out to a feed lot.

At our local sale in Calhoun that I go to most every week, they test every animal that comes in for something...but I don't know what. And anything you buy, you can put them back in the vet pen, and get them vaccinates, de-horned, wormed, castrated...whatever you want done. Preg check if the seller hadn't already had that done,
etc. Yes, there are cattle you wouldn't want to take back to your farm sold at local auctions, but there will also be registered cattle.. as good or better than you will find at a special production- breed association sale, etc. Not every one that comes through a sale is junk someone has culled. There are lots of reasons people sell as fine a breeding stock as you will find from any reputable breeder on here.

The more auctions you go to, or watch online, the more confidence you will get that you can buy stock that will make you money. Itr just depends on hgow much time you have to do that.

How many heifers are you thinking about getting?

Last edited:

Latest posts