Retaining heifers?

Help Support CattleToday:

Towards the end of last year I was really needing to buy some cows and wanted some sure enough Brangus cattle. The kind I was looking for that would calve when we needed them to were few and far between. I found a set of heifer pairs in Louisiana that were priced right but didn't have time to drive 7 hrs to look at them. Tried getting them hauled to me with no luck. We ended up buying a set of bred heifers out of Waco off of a few pics and a video. We agreed to buy the heaviest bred out of the group of about 100. When we got there he had them trapped and we took them. The last set of bred heifers I bought came from a group of 100 at the local salebarn. I spent about 15 minutes looking the set over and had a buyer get us 15 of them. I think it depends on what you are doing with the cattle on how you buy them. People buy cattle by the truck loads everyday without seeing them. Most sellers around here might let you gate cut 15 but don't want to be there all day while you sort through them trying to find 10 of the best.

Come to think of it, several years ago we bought 32 heifers out of a group of 350. The man told me I could pic them however I wanted and not to hurry. After looking for a little bit I ask if he could do pairs for the same money. I took the 28 pairs out of the group then picked out 4 more.

That's why I say I'm not a big gambler. The gamble there is that the cows last long enough to pay it off. Honestly my mortgage is about 10yrs left. Runs 17k/yr. Most years there's enough calves to make it plus some. Last couple there's extra but I've used the extra to replace old cows or replace equipment.
Not saying all my financial decisions are the best, but I'm a believer in trying to balance the spending and responsible stuff. I've seen enough guys save and pay things off just to die shortly after or while paying and never enjoy it. Also seen those that never save a dime and lose it all in a bad year.
I was in the exact same situation for allot of years. Payments were bigger but numbers are just numbers. Stick with it and it will all work out for you.

I was in the exact same situation for allot of years. Payments were bigger but numbers are just numbers. Stick with it and it will all work out for you.
It will work out. I'm not concerned about making payments just curious how everyone saw it.
Someone mentioned selling out and buying back in when it bottoms out. Again that's a gamble I'll not take. If I sold out, 3yrs all the herd money be gone and still have a mortgage to make. Market might be down or still up at that point. Easier to keep it rolling. But if it weren't for the mortgage. I'd be real tempted.
I see a lot of discussion on breds vs replacements here, taxes are another reason to buy off farm instead of keeping your own heifers. On the reverse side, you know what heifers come from your best cows, longevity etc.

It will work out. I'm not concerned about making payments just curious how everyone saw it.
Someone mentioned selling out and buying back in when it bottoms out. Again that's a gamble I'll not take. If I sold out, 3yrs all the herd money be gone and still have a mortgage to make. Market might be down or still up at that point. Easier to keep it rolling. But if it weren't for the mortgage. I'd be real tempted.
I see a lot of discussion on breds vs replacements here, taxes are another reason to buy off farm instead of keeping your own heifers. On the reverse side, you know what heifers come from your best cows, longevity etc.
Who said to sell out?

We've got a friend that is in his 80's and has several hundred acres. He's got some of the worst fences I've seen and he never talks about replacing or fixing any of it. I finally found out that his theory is if you always retain heifers and never buy any replacement cattle you don't have to worry about fencing near as much. I guess he figures all of his cattle know were home is and have no reason to leave.

We've got a friend that is in his 80's and has several hundred acres. He's got some of the worst fences I've seen and he never talks about replacing or fixing any of it. I finally found out that his theory is if you always retain heifers and never buy any replacement cattle you don't have to worry about fencing near as much. I guess he figures all of his cattle know were home is and have no reason to leave.
I leased a place like that. The owner who was in his 80's would not put any money into fixing the fences. I had to put those guard rales on his coral just so I could load my cows. When I brought the cows in had set up some stock panels for the cows to mother up in, and he tried to sell them to ditch rider. Had a fence charger stolen, and I'm pretty sure it was him. I ended pull out mid July because I was out of grass, he lied about how many cows it would support. Found out later that none of his neighbors liked him, and I can't say anything good about him either. Glad to be done with him.

I knew a man years ago (he is gone now) who ran about 700 cows. When times got real good he would sell off half the herd. When the market turned he would hold back a lot of heifers and build the herd back up. He ran about half deeded land and half leased. When he sold down he would give his deeded land a rest period. He did real well doing this. The secret is picking the right time to sell down. Too early you lose opportunity. Too late and you will be selling too cheap.

There are lots of fences like that around here. Cows go eat grass along the road. It is free feed.

There's a lot of truth in that.

Ken

I knew a man years ago (he is gone now) who ran about 700 cows. When times got real good he would sell off half the herd. When the market turned he would hold back a lot of heifers and build the herd back up. He ran about half deeded land and half leased. When he sold down he would give his deeded land a rest period. He did real well doing this. The secret is picking the right time to sell down. Too early you lose opportunity. Too late and you will be selling too cheap.
That's the trick is knowing when is the end

The decision is different for each breeder. We have bought replacements. Paid too prices for breds and also yearling heifers ready to breed. Have always had more culls on those we bought. Just fed and looked at our replacements. Feel they are the best we have raised as a group. Several are out of AI sires we used. Several small others the first daughters of new sires we have. Have been told we could probably get 2 thousand or more for them as replacements. Considered that. Then I look at the first heifers calving now. They are half sisters to most of those we saved this year. They have great udders, teats and feet. Deep, soggy, docile and good mothers. We have decided we have some 10 y/o cows we can sell. We plan too wean their calves then sell them. If the kill market stays above a dollar a pound we will get around $1,500.00 per cow. For at most $500.00 difference we can trade out a 10 y/o for a better heifer. If we tried to buy comparable heifer pairs they would cost at least $4,000.00. Have seen some bring $4,500.00. Have seen breds bring up to $3,200.00. We feel our best option is keeping our replacements. Plan to AI them. Many of the calves will be out of AI sired mothers and AI sired. We feel if we want to continue to move our program ahead we need retain what we raise after we spent the money to AI and buy new walking sires. Again each breeder has too make what decision is best cost for their program and fits their goals.

Latest posts