Sell or Hold'em

Help Support CattleToday:

I would agree with you based on the average consumer, many will switch to pork or poultry as less expensive alternatives. But let's not forget about the world's elite that have plenty of money, they will spend $250-300 per person or more on a steak dinner at a fancy restaurant. Certain markets can and do pay more for beef, we export to other countries because of our high quality. Investing for quality improvements should be our goal for the coming years rather than simply trying to maximize head count and flood the market which drives down prices. With all of the governmental and environmental pressures on beef production I envision that beef will become the luxury protein that is eaten by the wealthy. Those that can't afford it will eat fake meat like this.

That is true about high value cuts. The problem is they are a small part of the carcass. The low value cuts and the offal are one of the main things that determine the value of slaughter cattle.

I would agree with you based on the average consumer, many will switch to pork or poultry as less expensive alternatives. But let's not forget about the world's elite that have plenty of money, they will spend $250-300 per person or more on a steak dinner at a fancy restaurant. Certain markets can and do pay more for beef, we export to other countries because of our high quality. Investing for quality improvements should be our goal for the coming years rather than simply trying to maximize head count and flood the market which drives down prices. With all of the governmental and environmental pressures on beef production I envision that beef will become the luxury protein that is eaten by the wealthy. Those that can't afford it will eat fake meat like this.
Not if we get the word out as to what is in it. YUK!

Latest posts