What A.I. Red Angus Bull for 06

Help Support CattleToday:

BA

Reaction score
Which Red Angus bulls are you using this year?

I haven't decided on a calving ease bull for sure. Planning on Buf Crk Romeo L081 again, and possibly NSF Special Delivery, HXC Conquest, HXC Magnum or possibly a Beckton bred calving ease bull.

We have a cow by Deep Canyon and a grand daughter from a Forster bull. They seem to be the ticket to me. Real good udder quality on the ones we have. The UBAR bull must be working well for people too!

I am using PIE Accelorator(121R son), PIE Maximum (Atlantic son), OHRR Rambler (Dakota Copper son) Tassel Executive, Heavens Door, LMG Big Spread(Wide Spread son)and Rattler 908. These will be used on our cows. All of these bulls have more performance, middle, length, and bone than most other bulls in the breed. Notice known of them have any Cherokee Canyon in them at all.

These are also the bulls that I will be cleaning up with, along with a couple others.

BA":14axq2c2 said:
We have a cow by Deep Canyon and a grand daughter from a Forster bull. They seem to be the ticket to me. Real good udder quality on the ones we have. The UBAR bull must be working well for people too!

We have one Deep Canyon daughter and we are so happy with her we decided to use him. We have one Sequoia heifer that is really nice too. She's just a year old so still doing some growing but I think she'll be a nice big thick cow when she is done.

What is the average ME on your bulls BRG?

We try to keep below 2.

mtnman

To be honest, I don't know. I am not a big EPD fan, don't even know what their performance #'s are. I use them as a tool and that is it.

When I use a bull, he has to have good individual performance, but even better than that, his mother better be a dam good cow that is easy keeping, and has a good udder, with good feet and legs under him. The bull himself must have good muscle, length, feet, and bone. To many tooth picked legs and poor footed bulls out in the country. If the bulls mother is not what I want my cows to look like, I won't even look at him again. I am not a huge pedigree man either, but their are bloodlines that I want nothing to due with.

We have used Deep Canyon and Sequoia. The Deep Canyon cattle are good functional cattle and the bulls are easy to sell, but the udders on most of his daughters around here are not real great. Not terrible, but he definately didn't improve udders.

We have our first Sequoia calves on the ground now. They are really flashy, smooth thick calves.

We are planning on using an Atlantic son called Atlantic City, our Jack Daniels bull who is a son of 40X Bailey, Paramount (Cinch x Red Knight), and Infrared (Advance 121R) and maybe one AI bull. Not sure what it will be yet.

A Red Angus bull that I like awful well is MONU would anyone that has seen his calves share their opinions on him.

We used him on some heifers for a couple years. His calves are ok. Nice and long. If you breed him wrong, he will really drop the frame and make you some smurfs. We did get a bull out of him that was our high seller one year, and has since raised some darn nice bulls. He is one of the better bulls in the major semen studs out there. But I wouldn't go back to him again, we have since used better bulls. His daughters milk alright. Nothing crazy either direction.

Do you mean Monu 4x-303?

He had way too much power for our neighbors.

They washed out right away.

Just too dang big.

He is a 59" mature bull, which translates to frame 6.5-7.0.

Under our conditions, anything over 5.5 suffers, and it's better to keep them right at 5 or between 4.5-5.

Man, I hate to see a bull of frame 6.5 - 7.0 , and with growth in the top 10% of the breed classified as producing "smurfs".

How tall do we need them to be? How much growth is enough?

BRG, a thought occured to me. The RA guys are looking for outcrosses now. Why don't you use some of that good Hoff blood to offer them a nice alternative?

mtnman

The Monu calves we raised were in that 5 to 5.5 frame area. I like the 6 area.

You are right, the breed does need some new lines, but crossing with the blacks to get some is way to slow for our ranch. Alot of breeders are doing just that, and I applaud them for doing so.

You had 5.5 frame calves from 303? All I've seen from him were big guys. Paul Haugen sure steered me away from him due to mature size. I prefer under six frame here, so I've never tried the bull.

Yes we did, but I guess by looking back, the dams were out of Hobo and Logan. 2 smaller bulls. But the frames the first year were pretty much all under a 6. Closer to a 5.

BRG,

You are in too much of a hurry, man!!!

If you AI to a couple Hoff bulls this year, the black/red's will hit the ground next year, they would be a year old in 08, and bred, then in 09, you could have 50% Hoff calves on the ground that were red.

Your Rattler's are an outcross of sorts, this could be more of an outcross.

So, in five years from right now, you could be set up and rolling with yearling bulls.

Are you rolling generations so fast that you don't use a bull for more than 5 years?

Will all the Rattler's be so out of fashion in 5 years that you won't use them?

What is so bad about the cows that we have to hurry that much to change them?

mtnman

Its not that I am in a hurry. But think about how many calf crops the average guy has in his career. If you start out of High school at around 20 years old, and retire at 60 or so, that is only 40 crops your entire career. It took us 30 years to get the good red customers we have and we are trying to expand the numbers of bulls we are selling. I don't have the time to start trying to get customers for a black base too, especially when it is this competitive. I will let other good breeders expand the gene pool.

What is wrong with this bull?
BJR Make My Day 981

ar887mak.jpg

http://cridata.crinet.com/beef/index.ph ... 87&lang=EN

He is a pretty good maternal/calving ease bull. Daughters could be easier keeping, but they are calf raisers.

BRG":2ktysrd5 said:
He is a pretty good maternal/calving ease bull. Daughters could be easier keeping, but they are calf raisers.
Any chance they are hard doing because they raise a heavy calf?
They might keep a little better on clover and silage. :D

Latest posts