Well I hope all you other hobby

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard":1rcjscfd said:
Bright Raven":1rcjscfd said:
Whether it is hobby or the main livelihood; work is work. I only have 14 fall calves but halter breaking calves by yourself at age 67 is as rigorous as any work a professional farmer does. I was thinking this morning, the number of years I can continue this are probably no more than the number of fingers on one hand. Damm, it takes a toll on your body!
For the last couple years, especially after my heart surgery, been seriously considering selling out and moving back to West Texas and just buying a small place just big enough to have a garden and maybe raise a freezer calf and spending the rest of my life canoeing the Pecos and Devil's River fishing. Just hard to pull the trigger on that kind of change tho...

yep.....i cut back to two heifers five or six years ago....right now I am syncing five of my own for breeding and am about to synch about twenty to breed for the neighbor....

My late partner used to say....

Once you get that cow manure on your boots is is awful hard to ever get it all off.....

Being retired and presently not owning any cows at all I don't even qualify as a hobby rancher. But for something to do I have been helping a friend who ranches full time for a living. He runs about 400 cows on I don't know how many thousand acres (30-40 acres per pair). We have gathered, sorted, hauled, and vaccinated cows, built fence and corral. He is a full time cattleman. Being his assistant, does that make me a cowboy? The trouble is he doesn't pay me. Just buys my lunch. Dang, that means I am not a professional cowboy. Just a dang gum hobby cowboy.....
Can't wait to get my own place again so I can be promoted to hobby rancher.

Dave":2rm3sk11 said:
Being retired and presently not owning any cows at all I don't even qualify as a hobby rancher. But for something to do I have been helping a friend who ranches full time for a living. He runs about 400 cows on I don't know how many thousand acres (30-40 acres per pair). We have gathered, sorted, hauled, and vaccinated cows, built fence and corral. He is a full time cattleman. Being his assistant, does that make me a cowboy? The trouble is he doesn't pay me. Just buys my lunch. Dang, that means I am not a professional cowboy. Just a dang gum hobby cowboy.....

Your what they call a hangaround .... :D

Dave":1876l6fl said:

My neighbor wishes he had you for a neighbor rather than me....

he called me three times this week end looking for help when I was up to my arm pits in my own work...

Bright Raven":2cq9t5s8 said:
Whether it is hobby or the main livelihood; work is work. I only have 14 fall calves but halter breaking calves by yourself at age 67 is as rigorous as any work a professional farmer does. I was thinking this morning, the number of years I can continue this are probably no more than the number of fingers on one hand. Damm, it takes a toll on your body!
I find halter breaking the calves is by far one of the easiest chores I have... it's all the rest of it that's hard on the body.. haying, irrigation, field work, feeding, etc.
Do you have a "control" halter? the "cow" size works well on big weaned calves up to 18 months from my experience... makes a world of difference for cooperation.

Bright Raven":2ivbeqe3 said:

You will find a way Ron.

Ken

Nesikep":c0gwwvd1 said:
Bright Raven":c0gwwvd1 said:
I find halter breaking the calves is by far one of the easiest chores I have... it's all the rest of it that's hard on the body.. haying, irrigation, field work, feeding, etc.
Do you have a "control" halter? the "cow" size works well on big weaned calves up to 18 months from my experience... makes a world of difference for cooperation.

Tell me what you mean-Control halter.  What takes a beating is my hands.  The next day all my joints ache.  I actually enjoy the halter training.  I enjoy the young calves. Each one is different.  I got a good group.  Well behaved but those bigger ones can give you a good wrestling match.

callmefence":2qnuikla said:
Dave":2qnuikla said:

A hangaround!!!! That sounds worse than a hobby farmer/rancher/cowboy. I get lunch doesn't that promote me above a hangaround? Heck on Veterans Day I got paid double time for working on a National Holiday (a double burger with fries).

Dave":z1iro6mk said:
callmefence":z1iro6mk said:
Dave":z1iro6mk said:

A hangaround!!!! That sounds worse than a hobby farmer/rancher/cowboy. I get lunch doesn't that promote me above a hangaround? Heck on Veterans Day I got paid double time for working on a National Holiday (a double burger with fries).
Hangaround sounds better than a groupie.

True Grit Farms":xsuc9dk3 said:
Dave":xsuc9dk3 said:
callmefence":xsuc9dk3 said:

Hangaround sounds better than a groupie.

Well I darn sure ain't no groupie.

Bright Raven":2rxcxfxz said:
Nesikep":2rxcxfxz said:
Bright Raven":2rxcxfxz said:

Tell me what you mean-Control halter.  What takes a beating is my hands.  The next day all my joints ache.  I actually enjoy the halter training.  I enjoy the young calves. Each one is different.  I got a good group.  Well behaved but those bigger ones can give you a good wrestling match.
Halter with a chain under the chin rather than nylon web... when using one I rarely need to hold the rope with two hands.. I've posted links to them on Amazon before

I've used the control halters before. The chain gets 'their attention' a little better. Get 'em broke to it then transition to a regular rope halter. A thicker softer lead rope can help with the abuse your hands take..spreads the friction out over a wider area of your fingers and palm.

Dave":j7t2em0v said:

Dave,

It sounds to me like you're the Assistant Manager.

Rafter S":1tfkkgf4 said:
Dave":1tfkkgf4 said:

Dave,

It sounds to me like you're the Assistant Manager.

I do like that title. I might have to ask for a pay raise. Actually going from a full time job and running 60-70 head to retirement, no cows, and living in a new place with little to nothing to do I could go crazy in a hurry. So I am happy to help this guy. It gives me something to do. And it helps him. I work cheap, just not fast. He has enough cows to make a living but not enough to pay a hired hand.

Well Dave you can get a pay raise OR the new title of Assistant Manager. With the new title comes a lot more respect and you will always be able to say you were the assistant manager on a large ranch. With the pay raise you get what? A couple beers on Saturday night and then it's gone? Seems like an easy decision to me.

My Dad helps me out a lot with no pay. If he has something going on one day and can't help me, I tell him since he's employee of the week he gets the day off without having his pay docked.

Dave":1gdr68ju said:
I do like that title. I might have to ask for a pay raise. Actually going from a full time job and running 60-70 head to retirement, no cows, and living in a new place with little to nothing to do I could go crazy in a hurry. So I am happy to help this guy. It gives me something to do. And it helps him. I work cheap, just not fast.[/u] He has enough cows to make a living but not enough to pay a hired hand.

Not fast and not slow, does that make you just a cheap halfast rancher?
(im 1/4 assed myself)

callmefence":19rrcsf5 said:
Dave":19rrcsf5 said:

Or a wife. :cowboy:

Bright Raven":2cbajnx3 said:
Halter breaking calves is one of my favorite jobs. Always pays for them to have a good disposition for the future.

Latest posts