Well I hope all you other hobby

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":1b8uz2ki said:
Dave":1b8uz2ki said:
dieselbeef":1b8uz2ki said:
friends are scarce when it comes to working cows

I generally don't want them to show up. How many of them really know what they are doing? Yelling and screaming doesn't work here.
Wife bought me a new Teeshirt the other day. Front of says :please ignore my language. We were working cows. :lol2:
Saw one similar on Facebook: "Sorry what I said when we were working cattle". Tempted to buy it - I morph into a sailor :oops:

kenny thomas":2ibs5yoi said:
Also Angus Journal but not a lot to brag about.
Don't always have to be a big time rancher, sometimes a hobby farmer does some things worth being noticed. December 2008 if anyone cares :pop:

Buying an ad doesn't count. FYI.

TennesseeTuxedo":3j7ycnna said:
midTN_Brangusman":3j7ycnna said:
dieselbeef":3j7ycnna said:
friends are scarce when it comes to working cows

and family.... at least that's been my experience :hide:

Call me anytime. I'm just up the road and I'd love to come help you. I'm serious.

TT

Thank you Larry I sure will!

jedstivers":17hzgfi0 said:
dieselbeef":17hzgfi0 said:
sorting and taggin..weaning em in the pouring rain yesterday....after it rained 7inches here in 2 days so far....the water was ankle deep at least...we got it done...and listened to em bawling in the rain allllll night long.

soo....I must be a pro right? I just think im not so smart
Only one pro on this board and you and I ain't it.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

I can get some help if I ask..but with only about 30 hd cows and calfs to do usually its me and my 10 yr old..yeah the one whos arm I broke I know....but as long as theyre in the pens at the start its easy...

Now let me see, if the chicken ranch in la grange was a hobby place for all the youngsters in the 60's ( oppps that's me ) and we all gathered in the lobby ........: does that make the chicken ranch the first "hobby lobby", but I thought hobby lobby was closed on Sunday... so was the chicken ranch, durn you Marvin Z. Eye witness news?????? Can still picture all the chartered buses in the parking lot . As Archie Bunker would say "those were the days"

So I have a question. I did a little cattle work here at home this afternoon, separating my yearling heifers from the 2-year olds so I can start feeding the yearlings extra. I was wearing jeans and a straw cowboy hat (straw because it was hot), but also Reeboks and a Magellan fishing shirt. I figure the shirt and shoes placed me in the hobby category, but if I'd put spurs on the Redbooks would that have tipped the scales in the other direction?

greybeard":3srm4m4v said:
It all depends..were you wearing prescription sunglasses or fashion sunglasses?

As a matter of fact, I was wearing prescription bifocals. No shades. What's the verdict on those? (I'm afraid I won't like the answer.)

f1tiger":zey90krc said:
Now let me see, if the chicken ranch in la grange was a hobby place for all the youngsters in the 60's ( oppps that's me ) and we all gathered in the lobby ........: does that make the chicken ranch the first "hobby lobby", but I thought hobby lobby was closed on Sunday... so was the chicken ranch, durn you Marvin Z. Eye witness news?????? Can still picture all the chartered buses in the parking lot . As Archie Bunker would say "those were the days"

That was 72 or 73 wasn't it when Z finally shut it down. Best description of a politician ever.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Emc1M5F9I-E

Cross-7":3bzwn8ix said:
I personally don't find the term hobby farmer as degrading. Maybe the farmer part but truth is I do most everything on foot now days and spend my days trying to manage and grow grass so yeah I'm a grass farmer.
I make my living working a job and cattle are a hobby for me, so the term fits.

I think some people like to brag about how big a place they have or how many cows. Some use it as a measuring stick to size you up.
I've known lots of people that were quite wealthy and kept a few cows as a hobby and could afford a big place and lots of cows if they chose.
The size of your place or the number of cows you have doesn't represent your success in life.

Right there with you Cross - 7

Rafter S":2lpzafrd said:
greybeard":2lpzafrd said:

As a matter of fact, I was wearing prescription bifocals. No shades. What's the verdict on those? (I'm afraid I won't like the answer.)
Clear prescript bifocals? You're good there..we all get old, some of us sooner than others..You know yourself, that the sale barns at Livingston and Navasota are an optometrist's wet dream..if they ain't wearing 'em, they're in their pocket.

greybeard":2cokwtsq said:
Rafter S":2cokwtsq said:
greybeard":2cokwtsq said:

Clear prescript bifocals? You're good there..we all get old, some of us sooner than others..You know yourself, that the sale barns at Livingston and Navasota are an optometrist's wet dream..if they ain't wearing 'em, they're in their pocket.

I have a pair of prescription bifocal auto tint glasses....but I have had the same pair for about ten years now...auto tint becasue of the cataracts.

when I got the sugar stabilized , well according to me not the doc, the cataracts sort of stopped progressing...I can see near 20-20 with the glasses.

pdfangus":3f632jw9 said:
Cross-7":3f632jw9 said:
I think some people like to brag about how big a place they have or how many cows. Some use it as a measuring stick to size you up.

Others use it only to size themselves up.
Ain't ya jealous? Don't you wish that you too, could develop that particular personality disorder? Been thinkin about going down to the crossroads tonight at midnight and meeting the red skinned rascal with the bifurcated tail to swap my soul for a big ol ego..heck "I ain't usin it right now anyhow"

Rafter S":29ygmc3y said:
So I have a question. I did a little cattle work here at home this afternoon, separating my yearling heifers from the 2-year olds so I can start feeding the yearlings extra. I was wearing jeans and a straw cowboy hat (straw because it was hot), but also Reeboks and a Magellan fishing shirt. I figure the shirt and shoes placed me in the hobby category, but if I'd put spurs on the Redbooks would that have tipped the scales in the other direction?

My straw hat got destroyed. I'll buy a new one next time somebody dies or gets married. Been wearing rubber boots for several days. I'm scared to death I'm gonna turn into a farmer. I'm wearing some justins today . Even if my feet get wet . I just can't risk it.

Whether it is hobby or the main livelihood; work is work. I only have 14 fall calves but halter breaking calves by yourself at age 67 is as rigorous as any work a professional farmer does. I was thinking this morning, the number of years I can continue this are probably no more than the number of fingers on one hand. Damm, it takes a toll on your body!

greybeard":1zh6jrk2 said:
pdfangus":1zh6jrk2 said:
Cross-7":1zh6jrk2 said:

Others use it only to size themselves up.
Ain't ya jealous? Don't you wish that you too, could develop that particular personality disorder? Been thinkin about going down to the crossroads tonight at midnight and meeting the red skinned rascal with the bifurcated tail to swap my soul for a big ol ego..heck "I ain't usin it right now anyhow"

Lot of M&M's don't own the first cow.

Might surprise you who your neighbor really is.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mil ... _Next_Door

Bright Raven":276lnzu1 said:
Whether it is hobby or the main livelihood; work is work. I only have 14 fall calves but halter breaking calves by yourself at age 67 is as rigorous as any work a professional farmer does. I was thinking this morning, the number of years I can continue this are probably no more than the number of fingers on one hand. Damm, it takes a toll on your body!
For the last couple years, especially after my heart surgery, been seriously considering selling out and moving back to West Texas and just buying a small place just big enough to have a garden and maybe raise a freezer calf and spending the rest of my life canoeing the Pecos and Devil's River fishing. Just hard to pull the trigger on that kind of change tho...

Latest posts