Well I hope all you other hobby

Help Support CattleToday:

jedstivers

Reaction score
Ranchers and farmers were put in your place and reminded where you stand up against the big boys and girls.
Hope you realize we don't really rate for much against the big ones.
Any of the big ones care to share how big they are? Just so we know how small we are.

jedstivers":2dj22vbl said:
Ranchers and farmers were put in your place and reminded where you stand up against the big boys and girls.
Any of the big ones care to share how big they are? Just so we know how small we are.

Well I didn't want to brag but I got 1.3 acres a big hat and a dually maybe one day you will surpass me but not anytime soon :lol:

Animal husbandry has long been practiced on a "Hobby " basis. No disgrace in it. Personally, I don't want the responsibility of a larger operation.

jedstivers":2n673tj4 said:

They would fail without us, the little guy in Texas alone.
Ninety two percent of the cattle owned in the state with the most cattle are in herds of an average of 35 head.
The whole industry is geared to that operation.

Bright Raven":xbdu04hv said:
Animal husbandry has long been practiced on a "Hobby " basis. No disgrace in it. Personally, I don't want the responsibility of a larger operation.
I know.
I'm not sure where some get off thinking they are better than smaller operations.
I bet there's guys and/or girls on here with 10 or 20 head or even less that know much more about cattle than some with 250 or more.

There's a couple of hobby farmers on here that seem like really capable people to me.

skyhightree1":1of04gwr said:
jedstivers":1of04gwr said:

Well I didn't want to brag but I got 1.3 acres a big hat and a dually maybe one day you will surpass me but not anytime soon :lol:
All hat and no cattle. :lol2:

I used to be into bass fishing years ago. Sold my Triton tr21 just a few years ago. I got into small time tournament fishing. Won enough money I had to file it on my taxes for a few years. I guess that made me professional. But I always worked a job that payed most of my bills. I considered it a hobby. I sure didn't get all ****ed in the head over what somebody thought. Still don't.

What are we supposed to fill out here acreage and # of cattle. Or income.?
I'm gonna have trouble if it's income. I aint gotta clue

slick4591":2akzquhq said:
Is it okay for us hobby folks to work cattle in shorts and boots?

I do it in boots and old hospital scrub pants (a relative's castoffs). They ain't pretty but they were free and I don't care if they get manure on them or torn on barb.

jedstivers":xtubx13l said:
skyhightree1":xtubx13l said:
jedstivers":xtubx13l said:

All hat and no cattle. :lol2:
If you haven't doctored a couple sick yearlings or drenched a goat before going to the salebarn you ain't no cowboy! :lol2:

On hot or rainy days I work in my underwear.
Ah! The life of the hobby farmer! Where your operation is so small, no one notices you running around in your underwear, or frankly cares!

boondocks":2ded60sc said:
slick4591":2ded60sc said:
Is it okay for us hobby folks to work cattle in shorts and boots?

I do it in boots and old hospital scrub pants (a relative's castoffs). They ain't pretty but they were free and I don't care if they get manure on them or torn on barb.

I know you don't do that in the winter! I've lived up there and left the house in scrubs in winter. It sucks!