Well I hope all you other hobby

Help Support CattleToday:

jedstivers":bk7ti1gd said:
Ouachita":bk7ti1gd said:
Cross-7":bk7ti1gd said:
I really enjoyed Js1234
He was very informative

Funny thing the guy that started this thread runs more cattle as a hobby than the gal that's running her mouth about how big an operation she has
True. But I'm thinking to remove all doubt, Jed and CG8 should have a pizzing contest; see who can pizz higher on the side of the barn. I'm putting my money on CG8
Man I'm happy to just keep it off my boots now. That's a successful day.

Yep. I think I do pretty good for 67 but have to be careful if the wind is blowing. Lol

jedstivers":2fag990e said:
Ouachita":2fag990e said:
Cross-7":2fag990e said:
I really enjoyed Js1234
He was very informative

Funny thing the guy that started this thread runs more cattle as a hobby than the gal that's running her mouth about how big an operation she has
True. But I'm thinking to remove all doubt, Jed and CG8 should have a pizzing contest; see who can pizz higher on the side of the barn. I'm putting my money on CG8
Man I'm happy to just keep it off my boots now. That's a successful day.
gotta spread them boots out and lean foward a little... :cowboy:

One time, while pulling a prank on my daughters then boyfriend and his friend. I dressed up in a bigfoot suit I made. I hid behind a pond dam and waited. The plan was, the girls were suppose to get ahead of the guys and get to the other side of the pond. They then were suppose to scream as I made a quick appearance and then disappearance. I had a escape route, and planned to never be seen. The girls did not do as planned and got in my way for an escape. Meanwhile, the guys thought I was a bear and dashed towards me with big sticks to, well, who knows what I guess beat my brains in...it was all funny, I jumped up where I was hiding when they got too close and yelled, I'm a bigfoot, not a bear!.......Ok, so while I was hiding and waiting for this all to happen, the boys had a 'peeing over their shoulder' contest...lol....actually they were too far away for me to know what they were doing, but they were mortified that they did it with me there..... Who knew that was a thing? Do guys normally do this kind of thing around their buddies?

cowgirl8":3jsknarp said:
One time, while pulling a prank on my daughters then boyfriend and his friend. I dressed up in a bigfoot suit I made. I hid behind a pond dam and waited. The plan was, the girls were suppose to get ahead of the guys and get to the other side of the pond. They then were suppose to scream as I made a quick appearance and then disappearance. I had a escape route, and planned to never be seen. The girls did not do as planned and got in my way for an escape. Meanwhile, the guys thought I was a bear and dashed towards me with big sticks to, well, who knows what I guess beat my brains in...it was all funny, I jumped up where I was hiding when they got too close and yelled, I'm a bigfoot, not a bear!.......Ok, so while I was hiding and waiting for this all to happen, the boys had a 'peeing over their shoulder' contest...lol....actually they were too far away for me to know what they were doing, but they were mortified that they did it with me there..... Who knew that was a thing? Do guys normally do this kind of thing around their buddies?
Not any that I hang out with. Can't speak for any others.

jedstivers":3ttvjwd6 said:
cowgirl8":3ttvjwd6 said:
Not any that I hang out with. Can't speak for any others.
I was never so happy when she broke up with that fella.....

Ouachita":3n2076zf said:
Cross-7":3n2076zf said:
I really enjoyed Js1234
He was very informative

My money is on Jed and his boys.

jedstivers":2ckxeq3z said:
I think it's a established fact everyone on here is a hobby farmer except the one professional rancher.

You've given me something to think on. I don't make a living farming but I don't consider myself a hobby farmer. (I'll admit I'm no rancher).
I consider a hobby farmer to be someone way more "twee" than our operation. Someone with way more manicured pastures; way better attire; someone that spends a lot of time at meetings and high-end cattle shows. Maybe has chickens that lay pastel-colored eggs. Goats that faint. That sort of thing.
We do take what we do pretty seriously, just on a smaller scale. We are extremely hands-on. Our only help (for our herd of 20+) is a local teenager that pitches in once in a while (when we can roust him), and a friend that sometimes helps if we need to work them. I've been to big Angus outfits in the Hudson Valley (and elsewhere in NY) where the owners are Wall Streeters who own huge, picture-postcard estates and hire professional managers (and who "trade" cows amongst themselves for 6 figures). To me, that's a large-scale hobby farmer, while I'm a (very) small-scale farmer-farmer.
Besides, I think the IRS looks at a hobby farmer as someone who isn't trying to make a profit. By that definition, we're just lousy, not hobby. (Maybe we need a new definition: "Lousy Farmer").
Levon Helm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBuJB218UvU

boondocks":3auhb3m3 said:
jedstivers":3auhb3m3 said:
I think it's a established fact everyone on here is a hobby farmer except the one professional rancher.

You've given me something to think on. I don't make a living farming but I don't consider myself a hobby farmer. (I'll admit I'm no rancher).
I consider a hobby farmer to be someone way more "twee" than our operation. Someone with way more manicured pastures; way better attire; someone that spends a lot of time at meetings and high-end cattle shows. Maybe has chickens that lay pastel-colored eggs. Goats that faint. That sort of thing.
We do take what we do pretty seriously, just on a smaller scale. We are extremely hands-on. Our only help (for our herd of 20+) is a local teenager that pitches in once in a while (when we can roust him), and a friend that sometimes helps if we need to work them. I've been to big Angus outfits in the Hudson Valley (and elsewhere in NY) where the owners are Wall Streeters who own huge, picture-postcard estates and hire professional managers (and who "trade" cows amongst themselves for 6 figures). To me, that's a large-scale hobby farmer, while I'm a (very) small-scale farmer-farmer.
Besides, I think the IRS looks at a hobby farmer as someone who isn't trying to make a profit. By that definition, we're just lousy, not hobby. (Maybe we need a new definition: "Lousy Farmer").
Levon Helm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBuJB218UvU
You are not paying attention.
You have been told repeated times in this board you and the rest of us are hobby farmers.

jedstivers":14fxk7za said:
You are not paying attention.
You have been told repeated times in this board you and the rest of us are hobby farmers.

I've been pretty lucky to arrive at a point in my life where strangers'* opinions of me don't matter. (Heck, most folks' opinions of me don't matter). ;-)
*Exception: IRS. See above.

I always get a kick when people talk about hobby farms. Hobby is a slang term used for the business of prostitution, then that gets me thinking of the Chicken Ranch in La Grange. Guess that sure was a Hobby Ranch lol.

hobbies are supposed to be leisurely..fun..calming...umm...I must be a big timer then cuz im missing a bit of that stuff..

I don't give a rats rump what anyone else thinks of me and my operation.
I do it for me.
I bought the place.
I pay the bills
the decisions are mine
the cattle are mine
the responsibility is mine
the enjoyment is mine
but you might not want to speak ill of me in hearing distance....
I am tooo old to fight anymore, so I will just shoot now...

Dang right it is a paid for hobby.
Too many other ways to make a good living for your family without having to work until you drop dead.
Great life cows pay their way and buy me a couple of deer hunts a year.
Best part is if they don't make one dime that retirement check keeps coming in and my standard of living never misses a beat.
Money doesn't buy happiness but the lack of it sure buys misery.

Latest posts