Well I hope all you other hobby

Help Support CattleToday:

I was thinking about hobbies. We have forest, forestry equipment, a full filled woodshop where one end is a sawmill, the other finishing area. A wood kiln.. And even though we have everything a carpenter would dream of having, its our hobby. I would not be insulted at all if someone called us woodworking hobbyist. We spend hours out there. Its my fav place. Cant wait till winter where I can cut wood and throw our scraps in the woodstove...
Here is our latest hobby project. In fact, it also involves another hobby, stained glass and wood carving. The wood on the ceiling was taken from one of our pines. It was a difficult job getting it on the ceiling, but looks professional even though its our hobby.....

cowgirl8":30utbp62 said:
I was thinking about hobbies. We have forest, forestry equipment, a full filled woodshop where one end is a sawmill, the other finishing area. A wood kiln.. And even though we have everything a carpenter would dream of having, its our hobby. I would not be insulted at all if someone called us woodworking hobbyist. We spend hours out there. Its my fav place. Cant wait till winter where I can cut wood and throw our scraps in the woodstove...
Here is our latest hobby project. In fact, it also involves another hobby, stained glass and wood carving. The wood on the ceiling was taken from one of our pines. It was a difficult job getting it on the ceiling, but looks professional even though its our hobby.....

That really is impressive. Good for you. It really makes absolutely no difference whether you call it a hobby or whatever.

Caustic Burno":2r3cjg6w said:
f1tiger":2r3cjg6w said:
Now let me see, if the chicken ranch in la grange was a hobby place for all the youngsters in the 60's ( oppps that's me ) and we all gathered in the lobby ........: does that make the chicken ranch the first "hobby lobby", but I thought hobby lobby was closed on Sunday... so was the chicken ranch, durn you Marvin Z. Eye witness news?????? Can still picture all the chartered buses in the parking lot . As Archie Bunker would say "those were the days"

That was 72 or 73 wasn't it when Z finally shut it down. Best description of a politician ever.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Emc1M5F9I-E
I used to work with Charles Durning's brother. He'd get stopped at airports for autographs mistaken for his brother.

I use to quilt when I was stuck in the house with young kids. But now is have trouble sitting for so long. I have a very short attention span.

That's very nice cowgirl8. We've messed with wood flooring a few times... enough to know that we don't know what we're doing. I can't imagine putting it on the ceiling.

TCRanch":8aiiizhp said:
cowgirl8":8aiiizhp said:
Craig Miller":8aiiizhp said:
It looks nice cowgirl. Is that a another hobby hanging on the wall behind?
The quilt or bobcat?
I'm lovin' the bobcat on the wall!
We had that cat mounted 30 years ago. The only mounts they had at the time were sitting on logs. Well, there was a person out here with a mounted cat on a log, the log was huge and in their living room. Took up most of the room and I did not want a big log in any part of our house. There were no mounts to hang on a wall, what I was wanting. So, I looked through the catalog of body forms, I picked one that kind of looked like it might be climbing. Still is silly looking, but since its so high up, you just get a distant view of it. I wanted it sleeping on a ledge so I could put it in a dormer window sill...but, nope, didn't have that. I was surprised that there were only a few options for bobcats. Wonder if there are more now or if taxidermist can free form. I would hate to be limited if I were a taxidermist..i would figure a way...

cow pollinater":3pbqrks9 said:
That's very nice cowgirl8. We've messed with wood flooring a few times... enough to know that we don't know what we're doing. I can't imagine putting it on the ceiling.
It was not easy. I made it a little easier by finishing each board so that once it was up, it was done....My poor husband stood on that scaffolding 2 days. I did cutting and moving of the scaffolding. Today, we put up the ceiling fans and a few more pieces of trim and its basically done. We have the wall the bobcat and quilt are on to do next. We'll do shiplap there. Its going to be really hard because of the stairs. I also plan to have finished boards to go up. Just makes it so much easier. RIght now the boards are sawmill finished just out of the kiln. Lots of planing to do before we have that wood ready. Once the walls are finished, we'll work on the stairs. We plan to make the steps out of some interesting wood, maybe some burl we got off a smaller burl if there is enough of it. Then, big sigh, I've settled on making the risers stained glass....again, big sigh. OH, and maybe next project will be the window slides that have big stained glass panels in it. I've made them already, over 500 pieces and will have custom metal slides we'll make. I've overlaid roots and bark on the tree in the panel and plan to extend the roots into the frame. I keep forgetting about this project..THe panels are huge, 3x6ish..I made them, but was in one of my blind focused not sure what to call it, but once I get something coming out of my head to make, I go for it and usually don't even remember making it....if that makes sense.. I get really focused and will work till my hands are bloody..my hands are working, but my brain is somewhere else like another project...hard to explain..

cowgirl8":s596ufk4 said:
cow pollinater":s596ufk4 said:
It was not easy. I made it a little easier by finishing each board so that once it was up, it was done....My poor husband stood on that scaffolding 2 days. I did cutting and moving of the scaffolding. Today, we put up the ceiling fans and a few more pieces of trim and its basically done. We have the wall the bobcat and quilt are on to do next. We'll do shiplap there. Its going to be really hard because of the stairs. I also plan to have finished boards to go up. Just makes it so much easier. RIght now the boards are sawmill finished just out of the kiln. Lots of planing to do before we have that wood ready. Once the walls are finished, we'll work on the stairs. We plan to make the steps out of some interesting wood, maybe some burl we got off a smaller burl if there is enough of it. Then, big sigh, I've settled on making the risers stained glass....again, big sigh. OH, and maybe next project will be the window slides that have big stained glass panels in it. I've made them already, over 500 pieces and will have custom metal slides we'll make. I've overlaid roots and bark on the tree in the panel and plan to extend the roots into the frame. I keep forgetting about this project..THe panels are huge, 3x6ish..I made them, but was in one of my blind focused not sure what to call it, but once I get something coming out of my head to make, I go for it and usually don't even remember making it....if that makes sense.. I get really focused and will work till my hands are bloody..my hands are working, but my brain is somewhere else like another project...hard to explain..

Your talent and skill comes through your words. You deserve a big hand :clap:

Tell me how you got so involved and focused in the wood industry. The equipment and capabilities on a residential level are uncommon!

First, we have a life time supply of wood of all kinds. I've always loved woodworking, mainly carving. Back in the day I made many things of wood to sell. I made metal art also, but the seasonal wood things sold well, so out of our garage with just a band saw and jigsaw, I made things to sell. My husband has made every shop and barn out here, he loves to build. When we started getting more time that comes when the nest is empty, he started building a wood shop. We've collected most of our wood working machines from auctions. We've been able to fill our shop with top notch things for just pennies. His fleet of logging equipment he bought for about 50 grand because they needed work. Its now worth 3 times that if not more. He's still mulling around logging our place, but may just do it on hobby terms...He did a lot of the early logging with his skidsteer..
In the FB wood groups I see the problems people have with wood shops. What do they do with the saw dust?. We have many places we can put it and the equipment to move it, so it just vents right out the side of the barn in a big mountain. But people who live in areas where there are neighbors, they cant do that.
Right now we're trying to decide what to do with kiln finished wood. We need more storage. Thinking about getting a few metal storage containers. Eventually we plan to sell wood, but don't need to...its just what else do we do with it once we finish with the house redo.
I'm a very lucky girl. I have a professional wood shop for my wood hobby. I have a professional metal shop for my metal hobby and I have my very own glass room that's also a ceramic room with a large kiln I got really cheap on craigslist that is in new condition... Looking to learn slumping this winter...

You can store some of it at my house. My BIL has a bobcat that's supposed to look like it's climbing a rock but it just looks unnatural to me.

cowgirl8":6zdspbzm said:
I use to quilt when I was stuck in the house with young kids. But now is have trouble sitting for so long. I have a very short attention span.
My wife's mom quilts every Tuesday with a group of little ladies at their church. They turn out some beautiful quilt. Wife has one displayed on the wall in the den in a quilt frame. Great conversation piece. ME....I can't sew a button on a shirt. lol

TM, that's funny. "ME....I can't sew a button on a shirt. lol"

I tried that once. Sewed the button on, but when I picked it up to admire my work I had sewn it to the back of the shirt also!

Rafter S":28bypthl said:
So I have a question. I did a little cattle work here at home this afternoon, separating my yearling heifers from the 2-year olds so I can start feeding the yearlings extra. I was wearing jeans and a straw cowboy hat (straw because it was hot), but also Reeboks and a Magellan fishing shirt. I figure the shirt and shoes placed me in the hobby category, but if I'd put spurs on the Redbooks would that have tipped the scales in the other direction?

The two biggest cow/calf men around here wear sneakers. They both hurt too bad to wear boots. One of em even wears a knee pad on one leg under his bibs to make life a little easier.

i wear 'hiking' boots.. ankle support, traction, light and waterproof.

I' haven't wore tennis shoes for 15 years.

D2Cat":sof1azbb said:
TM, that's funny. "ME....I can't sew a button on a shirt. lol"

I tried that once. Sewed the button on, but when I picked it up to admire my work I had sewn it to the back of the shirt also!

I got a brand new one home from the store like that several years ago--on ALL the buttons.

Farm Fence Solutions":ql9h9xxe said:
Rafter S":ql9h9xxe said:
So I have a question. I did a little cattle work here at home this afternoon, separating my yearling heifers from the 2-year olds so I can start feeding the yearlings extra. I was wearing jeans and a straw cowboy hat (straw because it was hot), but also Reeboks and a Magellan fishing shirt. I figure the shirt and shoes placed me in the hobby category, but if I'd put spurs on the Redbooks would that have tipped the scales in the other direction?

The two biggest cow/calf men around here wear sneakers. They both hurt too bad to wear boots. One of em even wears a knee pad on one leg under his bibs to make life a little easier.
I wear them too. Keep boots in the truck when I have to have them.
Knees can't take boots all day everyday

Latest posts