We may all be missing the boat, by not raising Corrientes!

Help Support CattleToday:

Might have to convert this thread to a poll to answer that question. :)

I have learned a lot from this thread - a little about cattle, a lot about people.
But have decided to plow up all my pastures, plant in scrub pines, honeysuckle, kudzu and weeds. Buy some dexters, mini zebu's, and rodeo cows. I will buy them in the unloading line at the stockyard for pennies on the dollar. Stock at 4 pairs per acre. Take money saved on minerals, hay, equipment, facilities, dewormer and vaccines and use it on marketing of a "shoot and dress your own cow" program complete with a photographer for a lifetime memory of your trophy. Thinking about selling shares in the program if anyone is interested.
I think I am going to be rich.
Oh simme, you disappoint me. You seemed at first to have your head on straight

Might have to convert this thread to a poll to answer that question. :)

I have learned a lot from this thread - a little about cattle, a lot about people.
But have decided to plow up all my pastures, plant in scrub pines, honeysuckle, kudzu and weeds. Buy some dexters, mini zebu's, and rodeo cows. I will buy them in the unloading line at the stockyard for pennies on the dollar. Stock at 4 pairs per acre. Take money saved on minerals, hay, equipment, facilities, dewormer and vaccines and use it on marketing of a "shoot and dress your own cow" program complete with a photographer for a lifetime memory of your trophy. Thinking about selling shares in the program if anyone is interested.
I think I am going to be rich.
You forgot you have to sell them on Craigslist.

You buy a bull from me at the price I set then you are a very good guy in my book.
Let's see....this was about 10:30 in the morning. Sale starts at noon with goats, sheep, horses. Cows start at 1PM. They usually start out with bottle calves, if there are any since all the dairies are gone. Might be 4PM or later when they finish selling the "head cows" and start selling the "weigh cows". If you are selling by the head, and have nothing to do, and like to watch cattle sales, then you might hang around to get your check, about 5PM . People who sell "weigh cattle" just drop them off, and either come get their check the next day or have them mail it. So here is this couple in a newer SUV pulling a new 2=horse bumper pull with the divider out. About 8 trailera in line ahead of them. I go walking by the line, going from the parking lot to the sale barn, and this dude rolls down the window, and asks if he can ask me something. He wanted to know about how long did I think til he got unleaded (about 20 minutes, it turned out), and what happened after that. I had seen his calves as I was walking up, thinking to myself that he was lucky that one or more hadn't tried to jump out the half door of that trailer. I knew he had 4 black calves that I figured to be about 350 lbs..one might have gotten closer to 400., Anywho, I told him they'd unload, showed him where to park to come get his ticket with the numbers on it,. Told him then he'd pull into the big parking lot where all the trailers were. He asked about getting paid....when and how did he get his check, etc. I told him they would mail it or he could come by and get it after 9 in the morning, just when you take your numbers to the office ,tell the girls which one you want to do. Then he asked me about this "weigh cattle stuff". he said he thought people would bid so much per calf, and THAT was how he wanted to sell them,. I asked him what was he hoping to get. He said well, they are about 400 lbs each, and I'd like to get $400 each for them. I told him there was only one that might make 400 lbs, the others were closer to 350, if that. I told him I would give him $1500,. and when he unloaded he could just go on to lunch or something, with cash in his pocket. He said DEAL!! When I got my check in a few days, they had averaged 376 lbs...largest was 400..398.. and one was only 320 something. They averaged $1.23 per pound, they grossed $1850.00, so by the time the deductions came out, I made about $200. If I had ANYTHING I thought was gonna bring $1600. minus the fees and or/commissions., and anyone offered ME $1`500 cash, I'd snatch their arm off grabbing the money! And wish them luck, tell them I hope they make a big profit on whatever I sold them,, and would actually be glad they did.

Some people get really PO'd when you offer them less that asking price. Low ball I think they call it.
I have never got mad if anyone offered me a price. Might not take it, but at least I know that horse ( cow, truck, whatever) is worth that amount on that day. l I never, have, or never will tell someone that whatever they are selling " isn't worth that". I will say something like " I just can't give that, but I can and will give this". Neither will I tolerate anyone tell me " He/she/it ain't worth that".

I have never got mad if anyone offered me a price. Might not take it, but at least I know that horse ( cow, truck, whatever) is worth that amount on that day. l I never, have, or never will tell someone that whatever they are selling " isn't worth that". I will say something like " I just can't give that, but I can and will give this". Neither will I tolerate anyone tell me " He/she/it ain't worth that".

Tooth loosening time again?

Tooth loosening time again?
LOL. No! Unless they got smart-assed or vulgar. Or called me a liar. I just end the conversation and send them on the way. I would NEVER sell then what ever it was, if they came back and offered me MORE than I had priced it. Some have realized what they said wasn't the best choice, and have tried to back up , retract etc. If they are polite about it, then I will be too. But U still wouldn't sell to them.

Several years ago, there were some posters on this board that liked to bully others. It made the forum less appealing to me and probably many others. It seemed to me that traffic on the forum was down and posting was down. Did not get many new members. I believe that Mod2 cleaned some of that up and most of that behavior has been gone for quite a while. For the last year, there have been many new members and much more posting. I hate to see threats to break teeth or to give a butt whopping. I don't think it contributes to what most want from the forum. Also seems a little immature. I am just one member, but that is my opinion.
First time I have been on here in months, maybe even close to a year +, and it looks like the Mod needs to clean some off here now. ''little immature'' sounds like a grade school kid posting to me. He need to be gone stuff like this ruin the board.

First time I have been on here in months, maybe even close to a year +, and it looks like the Mod needs to clean some off here now. ''little immature'' sounds like a grade school kid posting to me. He need to be gone stuff like this ruin the board.
I've found a telltale of a bickering match usually is a thread with more than 2 pages

I've found a telltale of a bickering match usually is a thread with more than 2 pages
Yep. Sometimes there will be a topic I'm not interested in, so I don't look at it, but then notice over time it will get to be multiple pages, so I look at it, and that is usually the cause. Many times it will be way out in the weeds away from the original topic.

Anyone who thinks that an order buyer can't tell a high percentage Corriente from a pen of English or Continental calves is kidding themselves. Got a buddy who once owned over 300 mama Corrientes. Said the happiest day of his life was when he sold every last one. And NO they don't handle the cold like a Highlander. Breed those heifers to a Corriente and yes you will get some easy calves but those little 40 pounders don't last long when the temps drop to 10 below. It takes body mass and hair for that, they have neither

Hey Bryant, Macon sold the forum so there's a new sheriff in town. Lots of changes have been made, the biggest is the addition of a political discussion board. Overall a little more free speech is tolerated but I agree, we need to monitor ourselves a little better.

I hope you'll stick with us.

I find the pricing discussion to be a bit odd. Go to a sale for anything and there are some folks willing to sit on their hands, all want to start the bidding low and only two bidders matter - the "winner" and the contender. Anything beyond a beef bound critter is going to get different prices. Cows in a barn get more than beef price if they are purchased as replacements. Same for bulls that go back to the farm. To say that someone is a crook to offer too little needs to be balanced out that if you are selling and do not know the value then you are your own enemy. Nobody makes a person sell to a low ball buyer. They choose to do so. If you think a price should be firm never get into the sheep or goat business. Many ethnic buyers expect to dicker. I knew that to start and always start above what I want. They know it and always start below what they are worth. If you do not want to do that, then avoid direct sales.

As far as calf and cow quality is concerned: this thread had done nothing other than to expose the issue that some try to make money the easy way. To think that you will trick an order buyer with a calf that will mature too small or too light is about as crooked as trying to be a penhooker.

Kudzu topic: grow up folks: some of the college textbooks used in the south in the 40's recommended planting kudzu and the old folks knew that the little AC balers which made the small round bales were the choice to use. It's great feed. But like fire - it is a cruel master.

This weekend, I took my horses down to a friend's place, to help him him gather, pen and sort some cattle to take to the sale on Monday. He has about 120 head of Corriente cows, that he breeds to either Angus or Brangus bulls every year, This year he had split the difference and used Ultra Black bulls. These cattle are on about 200 acres of old cut-over timber. It is ( or was) overgrown with Kudzu when he put the cows in last January. Broom sage, Johnson grass as tall as my saddle, all kinds of briars and honey suckle is what these cows live on. There is a creek and a pond on the property, and he keeps free choice salt and minerals in the corral. This pasture hasn't ever been seeded with grass, or fertilized or had a bush hog on it. This is our quail and rabbit hunting property. so, we are rounding up these cows, probably around 700 lbs each, with big, black, polled calves nearly as tall as they are! These cows calved in February, so they are right at 6 months old. He only leaves his bulls in for 30 days, and after that he pulls them. He puts in a Corriente bull for cleanup. He gets about 10-12 Corriente calves each year, which is what he wants to do. There were 9 Corriente calves this year, and yeah, they were 3-4 weeks younger than the black calves but they were half the size. 300-350 lbs is my guess.... good size for Corrientes that age. We hauled 50 of these black steers and one bull calf that got missed at castration time Sunday night. They weighed between 500 and 540 lbs! That's pretty damned impressive...700 lbs cows ( all fat as a tick by the way, on sh*t for forage) weaning 540 lb calves.... about 80% of their own weight. They carried the heifers Monday morning , so I didn't see how much they weighed. But he just told me the steers brought $1.46 lowest to $1.58 highest. Heifers were $1.36 to $1.46. The one bull calf was $1.54. The same price as the other black calves did that day, and higher by 10-20 cents than red, white, brindled etc calves did.

There is no way he has more than $350-$400 in these cows...many were closer to $200- $250, depending on when he got them. He has virtually no additional costs in them, except for salt and minerals. When they calved in February, I went down there to rope the calves for castration and ear tagging, and Sunday was literally the first time he had been there since February. There were NO black calves out of commercial Hereford, Braford, Black Baldy, Charolais, Simmental, Gelbiev, Limosine, Wyenoogie or even Angus or Brangus that brought more per pound that day. None from these kind of cows that weaned calves at 6 months at 75-80% of their mommas' weight....with zero feed, hay, medical or TIME costs involved. For what a good cow or heifer of those breeds cost, you can buy 4-5 of these Corrientes, and feed those 4 or 5 for less money than you can another commercial beef cow. and keep 4 or 5 on the same acreage it takes for 1 or 2 commercial beef cows.

IF I ever decide to fool with cow/calf operations again,. then this is exactly what I'd do: Buy these $300 cows that will give me a $700-$750 calf the first year, with zero labor, zero calving problems,. zero vet costs, and virtually zero feed costs. Like Longhorns, Corriente are as heat, disease, insect and parasite resistant as a Brahma, and as cold tolerant as a Highlander.
Paid $250-$375 for every cow on my place…. Sold every

Just the arthritis in my neck gives that appearance. May be that the old age, clogged arteries and info here have affected my judgement on the business plan.
simme, last night I noticed that a reply I sent you yesterday to your above post never showed up, so I quickly sent a "thumbs up".
I want to be sure you know what that response was "Bless you simme" :)

I find the pricing discussion to be a bit odd. Go to a sale for anything and there are some folks willing to sit on their hands, all want to start the bidding low and only two bidders matter - the "winner" and the contender. Anything beyond a beef bound critter is going to get different prices. Cows in a barn get more than beef price if they are purchased as replacements. Same for bulls that go back to the farm. To say that someone is a crook to offer too little needs to be balanced out that if you are selling and do not know the value then you are your own enemy. Nobody makes a person sell to a low ball buyer. They choose to do so. If you think a price should be firm never get into the sheep or goat business. Many ethnic buyers expect to dicker. I knew that to start and always start above what I want. They know it and always start below what they are worth. If you do not want to do that, then avoid direct sales.

As far as calf and cow quality is concerned: this thread had done nothing other than to expose the issue that some try to make money the easy way. To think that you will trick an order buyer with a calf that will mature too small or too light is about as crooked as trying to be a penhooker.

Kudzu topic: grow up folks: some of the college textbooks used in the south in the 40's recommended planting kudzu and the old folks knew that the little AC balers which made the small round bales were the choice to use. It's great feed. But like fire - it is a cruel master.
I was just trying to sell a side of beef, cut and wrapped at $10/lb (CAD.. 7.50 USD), guy comes back with $8/lb.. Now this guy is working at a place that sells chickens for $35 and I'm sure their beef price is really salted as well, we settled at $9... but what they don't know is they won't get a dog bones (they have dogs),no marrow bones, no scraps, no liver, or anything else

Latest posts