We have rescued cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

shaliesmom

Reaction score
CALLING ALL RANCHERS IN THE AREA OF PK, MINERAL WELLS, BRECKENRIDGE AND SURROUNDING AREAS!!!!!!!!! We have rescued cattle that are in need of temporary land to be placed on. I know someone who is helping cattlemen from the surrounding area who have lost there land due to the fires, he has placed as many head as he can on his land n is looking for someone willing to place cattle on their land....PLEASE be willling to help your neighbors in this time of need!!!!!!!!!! Please call me. My number is 254-246-0792

Sad...I'd say the best think is to take them to the salebarn and let them go.....going to be a long time (even if it rains) before grazing will be available. Just the way it is...

I sent some '10 hay. Couldn't spare a lot. The folks who got it are great folks. They are going to sell out it seems. The hay will hold 'em over until then.

Sure wish I were closer. Lots of grazing and extra hay here.
Only good thing is compared to some of the previous droughts if someone has to sell the price is good.

kenny thomas":2wd6bnhe said:
Sure wish I were closer. Lots of grazing and extra hay here.
Only good thing is compared to some of the previous droughts if someone has to sell the price is good.
Starting to wonder what the difference would be if the drought wasn't so widespread. Would there be more beef and lower prices or more demand for cows and higher prices....

Pastures are quite sickly now. Sort of looking like a dry mid-August...

1982vett":1fdn5ges said:
Sad...I'd say the best think is to take them to the salebarn and let them go.....going to be a long time (even if it rains) before grazing will be available. Just the way it is...

Have to agree....no grazing, no hay and probably few fences. A good time for the folks to go ahead and at least recoup a little cash to start over with. I'm sure a lot of cattle died in the fires and probably hundreds if not thousands just roaming.

TexasBred":2cyx4x2h said:
1982vett":2cyx4x2h said:

Have to agree....no grazing, no hay and probably few fences. A good time for the folks to go ahead and at least recoup a little cash to start over with. I'm sure a lot of cattle died in the fires and probably hundreds if not thousands just roaming.

I started putting out hay for the neighbor yesterday, he is out of hay. He is done, I let him run some on my place last year. Looks like we will be loading trailers for Crockett next week. I am with Boogie been plugging off the pasture drains, fixing to start pumping out of the creek and flooding the bottom pastures.

CausticB, I have a friend that is a well respected, retired weatherman....for a local station. With those tips I think you can figure out who it is. He told me that next week will be our best chance at getting some rain, if not we are in for a real dry spell that only will be broken by something tropical...I think we all better wash our trucks, tractors, plan fishing trips, barbaques and go to church this Sunday.... I know I am ,gonna wash my gut wagon farm truck. Last time I washed that thing we got Hurricane Ike, a week later....Everybody that found out about that, gave me hedouble L

I think that I know who you are talking about. I was very sorry when he retired. I sure hope that he is right. We are having to feed hay and have contracted to buy enough to last through next spring. Fortunately, our hay guy can buy water if needed. His fields are next to a rice irrigation canal.

houstoncutter":27cab9oj said:
CausticB, I have a friend that is a well respected, retired weatherman....for a local station. With those tips I think you can figure out who it is. He told me that next week will be our best chance at getting some rain, if not we are in for a real dry spell that only will be broken by something tropical...I think we all better wash our trucks, tractors, plan fishing trips, barbaques and go to church this Sunday.... I know I am ,gonna wash my gut wagon farm truck. Last time I washed that thing we got Hurricane Ike, a week later....Everybody that found out about that, gave me hedouble L
Sounds like were screwed..... :lol: Remember last week when this week was our best chance of rain....Has been cloudy and hazy, I guess that is what they were talking about....Tropical storms and hurricanes haven't been the answer for us either. But one of them did bring some rain a couple years ago...

Yea, lets pray that the jet stream shifts and blows this cap of us so the storms can form...Of course we might have to put up with one of those whirleygustypeckerwood things as my dad calls em.

I started putting out hay for the neighbor yesterday, he is out of hay. He is done, I let him run some on my place last year. Looks like we will be loading trailers for Crockett next week. I am with Boogie been plugging off the pasture drains, fixing to start pumping out of the creek and flooding the bottom pastures.[/quote]
Crockett had 2165 head Tuesday and just under 2000 the week before. Over 800 cows in that 2165 head run. Of that 800+ head, over 600 went to slaughter.

BC":35loq56x said:
Crockett had 2165 head Tuesday and just under 2000 the week before. Over 800 cows in that 2165 head run. Of that 800+ head, over 600 went to slaughter.

That is the problem I see with everyone dumping during this widespread fire burn out and drought. When they get ready to replace their cows, they are going to be in the same mess I got in when I dumped mine. Good cows suited for this climate don't come cheap. Run of the mill black mongrels with no ear can be had cheap and a lot of the time you have no other choice at the sale barn.

backhoeboogie":235o6iwr said:
BC":235o6iwr said:

That is the problem I see with everyone dumping during this widespread fire burn out and drought. When they get ready to replace their cows, they are going to be in the same mess I got in when I dumped mine. Good cows suited for this climate don't come cheap. Run of the mill black mongrels with no ear can be had cheap and a lot of the time you have no other choice at the sale barn.
I haven't seen anything cheap around here in awhile. If its healthy and weighs 1100 it brings a thousand bucks regardless of color or ear. If it's a pair they're usually split and the two together bring $1500-1600 easily. Hard to blame anyone for taking the money while it's available.

TexasBred":1wsr28mp said:
backhoeboogie":1wsr28mp said:
BC":1wsr28mp said:

I haven't seen anything cheap around here in awhile. If its healthy and weighs 1100 it brings a thousand bucks regardless of color or ear. If it's a pair they're usually split and the two together bring $1500-1600 easily. Hard to blame anyone for taking the money while it's available.

You're right TB. I am referring to previous times. Selling out during a drought for good prices then too. Then trying to buy back later and nothing you're looking for could be had for a reasonable price. Plenty of commercial short eared black cows could be had cheap. Something good comes through and everyone's hand goes up. I've been there.

So funny to hear you talk about the "black mongrels". We hauled 2 open cows to the sale a couple of weeks ago and the slightly heavier, older, uglier blk cow brought 7 more cents a pound than the nice young gray cow that appeared to be sterile since we couldn't get her settled and she seemed in perpetual heat. I couldn't believe it.
Sorry to go off-topic. It is terrible what's happening out there, and my heart aches for those people facing so many tough choices.

Well if their is a silver lining in the cloud, its that prices are at all time highs....Having to sell when prices are low is a much bigger punch to the gut.

Latest posts