We are Corgi People Now

Help Support CattleToday:

3waycross

Reaction score
Drove to Wakeeney Ks this weekend to look at an outstanding Gelbvieh heifer and pick up my grandaughters new puppy. I have to say this is an amazing little dog. 8 weeks old and lets a 2 1/2 yr old love her up without protest. I see a long and wonderful love affair here. BTW maybe the smartest dog i have seen in a while and cute as a bug.

and her name is Willow.

I DO love Corgis. Preference for Cardigans rather then Pembrokes

3Way. I just heard about Corgi dogs yesterday. Fire Sweep Ranch raises them and sent me a picture of their litter. I like my Blue Heeler but the Corgi is a cute dog.

3waycross":10v2pzsp said:
Drove to Wakeeney Ks this weekend to look at an outstanding Gelbvieh heifer and pick up my grandaughters new puppy. I have to say this is an amazing little dog. 8 weeks old and lets a 2 1/2 yr old love her up without protest. I see a long and wonderful love affair here. BTW maybe the smartest dog i have seen in a while and cute as a bug.

and her name is Willow.
Priceless picture! That needs to hang on your wall. Beautiful pair of best friends.

Good for you. My mom has had at least one around for most of my life. They'd put border collies out of business if they could travel like one.

cow pollinater":2cuapkqu said:
Good for you. My mom has had at least one around for most of my life. They'd put border collies out of business if they could travel like one.

Looks aside, what pluses and minuses do you have with this breed?

Stocker Steve":1we91tbu said:
cow pollinater":1we91tbu said:

Looks aside, what pluses and minuses do you have with this breed?
Pluses: super smart, super quick, willing to please, don't need tons of training, really easy to keep, great work ethics.
Minuses: some will have to work all the time, won't travel out like a big dog will to cover lots of country, tend to get FAT if you let them lay around.
Most of my mom's dogs came from two breeders who traded dogs back and forth so it's possible that my view of them is not representative of the bulk of the dogs in the breed.

Stocker Steve":wjoqmren said:
cow pollinater":wjoqmren said:
Minuses: some will have to work all the time, won't travel out like a big dog will to cover lots of country, tend to get FAT if you let them lay around.

You use them to work cattle ?
I used mine for that before she died. It really didn;t take that much working but she knew her job and did it.

Stocker Steve":rnq56s78 said:
cow pollinater":rnq56s78 said:

You use them to work cattle ?

YES YES YES! Our Corgi works over here, and she was easy to train. She will keep the cows back while I get the netting off a round bale, and away from the hay ring while I get it dropped in. She travels to all the cattle events with me, and loves everyone in the family. They are smart and loyal. My Corgi is my shadow, always near me. I had lots of breeds of dogs, but will never be without a Corgi again. We have a Pembroke.Here are some pics:
This first was our litter last year, 5 females and one male. All pups sold before they were 8 weeks, from $500 to $700. That is my daughter holding them...
1010163_10200692065415642_1871332245_n.jpg

This is my female, my friend, and the mother. She is in heat right now, so we are breeding her next week when she is receptive. We are keeping a puppy from this next litter.
IMG_4347.jpg

And part of the cuteness factor, Corgis like sleeping on their backs, or flat out on their tummies with their rear feet kicked all the way out behind them:
IMG_8800.JPG

Great choice on the dog 3 way. Corgi's love kids!

I've never seen one work, but I can't envision it with such a small dog and little short legs.
I don't think they would have much bite and not very intimidating due short stature and surely couldn't cover much ground.

I guess my idea of a working dog vs a dog that goes with you to tend cattle may be the difference

cross_7":1sn9xosl said:
I've never seen one work, but I can't envision it with such a small dog and little short legs.
I don't think they would have much bite and not very intimidating due short stature and surely couldn't cover much ground.

I guess my idea of a working dog vs a dog that goes with you to tend cattle may be the difference

the good news is most kicks go over their head :p

Might be Cross. We do not cover a bunch of ground, but she can run and chase one down with out a problem. She has yet to run out of steam, but like I said we do not work cattle all day long. At night, she follows me in the tractor (or leads!) and when we get to the hay ring (several pastures away) she immediately gets after the cows to get out of the area, then keeps them at bay until I get the net off and back up on the tractor. She keeps them back until I drop the hay and back out... and all the cows stay clear of her. She nips at the nose, but has never broke the skin on a cow that I have ever seen. They are not much smaller than a healer, and can cover ground pretty quick. But they can get lazy, so if you do not work them they will get fat!

Latest posts