Watcha think?

Help Support CattleToday:

houstoncutter":ayst9rtg said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":ayst9rtg said:
You've all been GREAT (well almost ALL) appreciate your support & compliments.
Let's get real. I post pics because I'm proud of them. They represent a lot of years of breeding and I personnally think they are pretty darn good.
Don't tell my cows they're pampered, they think I'm pretty mean to them. You should see the mature cows that come up front when they are close to calving. They stand at the gate at night, hoping they are close enough to calving that I will let them in the barn, so they can get out of the weather.

I never meant for these comments to be negative about Jeanne,s cattle...For show stock they are some of the best that you will see on this board!!!
Thanks
But, you really still don't get it. You & I live in a totally different environment. Very difficult to get heifers ready for breeding by 4-10 when they haven't started grazing for at least another 3 weeks, with our winters. And our "show cattle" are raised the exact same as my whole herd - and when you walk thru my herd you would NEVER be able to pick out a cow that had been a show heifer. It is much more economical to get a heifer to reach her breeding potential at a young age, and NOT have to feed her AFTER she calves. If they are in good condition at breeding, then turned out on lush pastures all summer & raised in the "back 40" on baleage during our harsh winters, they are in the BCS you see in these pictures at calving. They rebreed quickly. My 3-year olds are the worse BCS of all my herd every year. 2-yr olds start out great, but by fall have lost condition and have a harder time putting it back on with our good late fall grazing. If they don't get a good "layer" put on prior to the harsh winter, then they never do - they just maintain.
If anyplace I could improve my breeding success, would be to suppliment those 2.5 - 3 yr olds. But, I don't.
We all do what we can to make money. My cattle are easy keeping, money makers IN MY ENVIRONMENT. Your cattle wouldn't (well, maybe the cattle you USED to have) wouldn't hardly survive here.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1uvqacow said:
houstoncutter":1uvqacow said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":1uvqacow said:
Let's get real. I post pics because I'm proud of them. They represent a lot of years of breeding and I personnally think they are pretty darn good.
Don't tell my cows they're pampered, they think I'm pretty mean to them. You should see the mature cows that come up front when they are close to calving. They stand at the gate at night, hoping they are close enough to calving that I will let them in the barn, so they can get out of the weather.

I never meant for these comments to be negative about Jeanne,s cattle...For show stock they are some of the best that you will see on this board!!!
Thanks
But, you really still don't get it. You & I live in a totally different environment. Very difficult to get heifers ready for breeding by 4-10 when they haven't started grazing for at least another 3 weeks, with our winters. And our "show cattle" are raised the exact same as my whole herd - and when you walk thru my herd you would NEVER be able to pick out a cow that had been a show heifer. It is much more economical to get a heifer to reach her breeding potential at a young age, and NOT have to feed her AFTER she calves. If they are in good condition at breeding, then turned out on lush pastures all summer & raised in the "back 40" on baleage during our harsh winters, they are in the BCS you see in these pictures at calving. They rebreed quickly. My 3-year olds are the worse BCS of all my herd every year. 2-yr olds start out great, but by fall have lost condition and have a harder time putting it back on with our good late fall grazing. If they don't get a good "layer" put on prior to the harsh winter, then they never do - they just maintain.
If anyplace I could improve my breeding success, would be to suppliment those 2.5 - 3 yr olds. But, I don't.
We all do what we can to make money. My cattle are easy keeping, money makers IN MY ENVIRONMENT. Your cattle wouldn't (well, maybe the cattle you USED to have) wouldn't hardly survive here.

What is the protein content of the baleage?

We don't test our baleage every year, but generally, it's 15-16% protein. We try to balance the highest QUANTITY with good quality. That is more than my dry cows NEED, but it is perfect for them in mid/late January after calving. And it's perfect for my growing young 2 & 3 yr olds.
Not enough energy for our replacement heifers. (I do not pretend to be the nutritionist - my husband was & takes care of those matters - this is what I "think" is the right answer :lol2: - but I do know that is the protein %).
Have some test results - if you ask specific question, I can read it off to you, but do not comprehend all the info - that, again, is HIS job. Hubby was a nutritionist and now is plant manager for the fertilizer/chemical plant. So, all that is right up his alley. I don't try to remember STUFF I don't have to. Hard enough remembering what I HAVE to know!!

houstoncutter":2d6f12s3 said:
KNERSIE":2d6f12s3 said:
Curiosity is just about killing me, Houston show us what you've got! Maybe Jeanne can even learn something in the process.
I am out of the Biz rite now Knersie, I do have one....very old cow and four bulls... I will try to get a pic of the cattle...I have posted pics of some of the bulls. I guess those pics can be found somewhere on this board

I think houstoncutter needs a pat on the back for not trying to bulshyt us about his cowherd. He could have easily made up something, but he didn't. :tiphat:

3waycross":xxzvg3o0 said:
houstoncutter":xxzvg3o0 said:
KNERSIE":xxzvg3o0 said:
Curiosity is just about killing me, Houston show us what you've got! Maybe Jeanne can even learn something in the process.
I am out of the Biz rite now Knersie, I do have one....very old cow and four bulls... I will try to get a pic of the cattle...I have posted pics of some of the bulls. I guess those pics can be found somewhere on this board

I think houstoncutter needs a pat on the back for not trying to bulshyt us about his cowherd. He could have easily made up something, but he didn't. :tiphat:
a medal is more like it,, you reckon he's a transplant
:lol:

Houston...man you got the ratios all mixed up here now. One cow and four bulls. Get some ladies for those guys and give grandma a break. :lol2:

quote] a medal is more like it,, you reckon he's a transplant
:lol:[/quote]

Alacowman I have been BS'd by folks from every state in the union. Texans are no worse that anyone else. Some of them were pretty hard on us as kids back in the 60's and we used to cuss'em for that, but having grown up a bit I have found a lot to like about the people and the country down there.

3waycross":2tfwiluf said:
quote] a medal is more like it,, you reckon he's a transplant
:lol:

Alacowman I have been BS'd by folks from every state in the union. Texans are no worse that anyone else. Some of them were pretty hard on us as kids back in the 60's and we used to cuss'em for that, but having grown up a bit I have found a lot to like about the people and the country down there.[/quote] just kidding.. we got plenty of bull shtrs here to,,, and i ought to know.. im the chairman
:cowboy:

TexasBred":1j13auwx said:

Houston...man you got the ratios all mixed up here now. One cow and four bulls. Get some ladies for those guys and give grandma a break. :lol2:

I have kept the younger bulls I had, with the hope that I would get back in. I may sell em in August of this year if i do not get back in. August tradionally is one of the better months to sell cows or bulls in the past. I guess we will see.

Angus Cowman":30p5omz9 said:
Now Jeanne you and I both know you pamper your cows. ;-) ;-) Why just a month or so ago you posted some pics of your cows and you had atleast a couple feet of white fluffy cotton for them to lay on :lol: :lol:
:banana: fluffy white stuff is "almost" gone - and some places are actually drying out :banana: but, of course, they are calling for some more "fluffy white stuff" in couple of days. Won't last this time of year (fingers crossed).
We have our semen dispursal Simmental meeting here this Saturday, and it's a week later than normal. I was thinking, "boy, we should be looking pretty good by 1st weekend in April. NOT!!!! after the meeting, most go out in the fields to check out the new calves. COVERALLS & KNEE BOOTS!

Jeanne, since you have to feed them so hard to keep them looking good why not just send them down here where the weather is warm. :D
Be sure and send me a link to the sale catalog. I will not let a bargain go by like last year.

Red Bull Breeder":1ellrwcc said:
Houston you got at least 1 bull down there i would like a look at. If you take a notion to sell him let me no.

Red Bull you waited a bit too long...fella up your way bought him. I do have one more Colorado150 son but his pedigree isnt quite as impressive as the other.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":z7nqgbqq said:

U know as i sit here in this Viacodin induced stupor, a few thoughts run through my head..One is I will be happy when this kidney stone decides to cut me some slack, another is that if I keep farting around on this board I am gonna get that GURU status...lol..and finally cows in Alabama, Missouri, Colorado, and of course 3rd countries are different than they are here in Texas......Most cattle here in Texas seperate themselves from the herd and go off and hide to have there calf, of course if they have a lot of Brimmer that may or may not be true. Then we get then fun of going out and trying to find those critters....I am sure a few of you have played the game of getting behind a tree, and bellaring like a calf, which if done right is sure to fool 9 out 10 momma cows....Off she goes to the calf.....Strange...I have never had the cows come to me beggin to get in a calving barn. That is behavior of feedbucket or 16% baylage cattle.During Hurricanes Rita and Ike they had to fend for themselves..I did loose one bull to the storms, a tree fell on him and killed him graveyard dead. I understand that I know nothing about cows in snow, but having said that I dont remember OldTimer talking about blowdrying his cattle. The cattle i had were far from pretty, but ask Caustic what type of cows it takes to run in the coastal swamps

A book that some of you might wish to read by Laurie Lasater might be a different point of view of the cattle biz. It goes against the grain of the land grant school thinking. For those of you that dont know who Laurie Lasater is...this is the cattleman that gave us the BeefMaster breed.. Some of u will say that this type of operation will only work in Texas. Think again, Mr Lasater has been dead for a while, but his herd lives on in Colorado it snows some in Colorado and gets a little cold so I have been told....lasaterranch.com...... have a look if you dare, as this is a SEEDSTOCK operation that is run like a commercial cattleman operation. May not be the prettiet cows, but its the type of cows and bulls that I would like to see more of.Be sure and look at the pics of the cows digging in the snow looking for something to eat......Them cows must be thinking where is all that balage and feed that I keep hearing about.I will know put on my hard hat and prepare for the snow or rain that i am about to recieve

Good post cutter except for one thing. Lasater is not within 50 miles of a mountain. They are pretty far east of Colorado Springs in the short grass country. It's a rare winter that they have snow cover on the ground for very long, and they do not have any issues with PAP like we do in the mountains.

3waycross":3apr9ing said:
Good post cutter except for one thing. Lasater is not within 50 miles of a mountain. They are pretty far east of Colorado Springs in the short grass country. It's a rare winter that they have snow cover on the ground for very long, and they do not have any issues with PAP like we do in the mountains.
Enlighten me 3way, the Pap is something to do with ablity to survive in a higher climate?

houstoncutter":1i8tsolb said:
3waycross":1i8tsolb said:
Enlighten me 3way, the Pap is something to do with ablity to survive in a higher climate?

PAP stands for Pulmonary Arterial Pressure. A pap test measures that pressure and predicts whether or not they will develope altitude sickness(or brisket disease as we call it).
If a bull paps lower than 40 @ 7500 feet then he can pretty much go anywhere. 40 to 45 up to maybe 9000' over 45 he needs to stay at 8000 or less and over 50 he needs to move to Texas.

Latest posts