What do you think of her?

Help Support CattleToday:

holm25

Reaction score
Well we are about a meeting nth and a half from evening and most of the calves are looking great... Only had 3 possible Retainment heifers this year. I'm not sure if I like this one or not.. What do y'all think of her? Picture of her and her dam... A lot of simmi influence in both calf and dam..

I don't care for her legs Holm. You can always feed her for a few months and see if she turns into something more. If not, finish her out. The perks of feeding heifers.

bball":9vucvf2k said:
I don't care for her legs Holm. You can always feed her for a few months and see if she turns into something more. If not, finish her out. The perks of feeding heifers.

I don't care for her legs in this picture either. I should get a video of her out on the move... Don't look quite so bad.. She's not the prettiest heifer in the world that's for darn sure

The cow looks decent (she looks to have a big foot! I like that), however I do not care for the heifer. She has a lot of leg under her, and is shallow in her fore rib. She has a ton of leather, which makes her look even more shallow since her brisket hangs down in front. She is heavy fronted, basically. BUT, that does not mean she will be a bad cow, just not eye pleasing as a heifer for me. If I have to look at her in the pasture, I better like her! At least, that is how I run the farm over here.... lol

A video would be helpful, because it could just be the pose (her legs are up underneath her in the rear, and she appears to be leaning back)

Fire Sweep Ranch":dyph1i3m said:
The cow looks decent (she looks to have a big foot! I like that), however I do not care for the heifer. She has a lot of leg under her, and is shallow in her fore rib. She has a ton of leather, which makes her look even more shallow since her brisket hangs down in front. She is heavy fronted, basically. BUT, that does not mean she will be a bad cow, just not eye pleasing as a heifer for me. If I have to look at her in the pasture, I better like her! At least, that is how I run the farm over here.... lol

A video would be helpful, because it could just be the pose (her legs are up underneath her in the rear, and she appears to be leaning back)

I will get a video of her. If she raises a calf the way her mom usually does she will make a good cow... We will see.. I like a heifer with a little more leather :D

ALACOWMAN":1iojgwq5 said:
Her legs are ok ..she just finer made,got a pretty good butt with some muscle definition. bet she'll develop into a decent heifer...

Maybe that's what it is A.C.. she's just finer boned and the pose she's in as Fire sweep observed.

I am truly curious what her dam looked like at that age. I can see her in her dam. I think the heifer has some good pieces and her overall structure isn't bad. I think she gives up muscle in her lower third (dam does too for what its worth) and she is a touch fine boned for her overall frame. I would feed her for a bit longer and see... :2cents:

holm25":5hsuxuve said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":5hsuxuve said:

I will get a video of her. If she raises a calf the way her mom usually does she will make a good cow... We will see.. I like a heifer with a little more leather :D
a brood cow,like a brood horse.. Pretty is as pretty do...a animal that spends her entire life pumping out production. without trouble is easier to look at......now having said that, I dont want a bunch of ugly cattle messing my place up :cowboy:

ALACOWMAN":2s9jmmzd said:
holm25":2s9jmmzd said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":2s9jmmzd said:

a brood cow,like a brood horse.. Pretty is as pretty do...a animal that spends her entire life pumping out production. without trouble is easier to look at......now having said that, I dont want a bunch of ugly cattle messing my place up :cowboy:
That's the truth Alacowman

Franke":gwtnka67 said:
Level topped, but if you have doubts and don't need her don't keep her.
We actually really use some good heifers right now. Sold three pairs last week (all had steers on the side) and have 2-3 other pair we will sell next year.

Well once we wean we will have to see where we are at with our heifers and you could come look at them. What part of Minnesota are you in.

Franke":3ciwutjn said:
Well once we wean we will have to see where we are at with our heifers and you could come look at them. What part of Minnesota are you in.

Western. In Becker county.

Well we will be weaning the end of the month and I could let you know. We are down just east of Rochester.

The heifer is nice, a little leggy but that doesn't mean she won't be a good momma. Just breed her to a bull with some good bone.

holm25":1jpp96nu said:
https://youtu.be/R8EoenbkHHo

I will say I like her better in the video than I do the picture. If you need replacements I would develop her and see how she develops. I bet she will make a decent cow.

Latest posts