Think someone shot our steer, has a hole in shoulder he’s dead.

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
This steer and 1 bull were penned 250 yards from our house in pasture. So if this was a bullet - we are all lucky we weren't shot.
Assuming the skin abrasions are from bloating stretch- hole the size of my pinkie in lower up/ down abrasion -if u enlarge pic it's circled. It had bubbly looking stuff coming out of it - which I think means a lung shot.
Unbelievable night— sheriff and animal patrol said nothing we they can do unless I saw someone shoot him or had a bullet to identify the gun.

Attachments

• 0F82427A-F923-4564-9C1E-F9CDCA58C23F.jpeg
    0F82427A-F923-4564-9C1E-F9CDCA58C23F.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 88
  • 6C28B721-274D-48FE-A90E-37AE542CC848.jpeg
    6C28B721-274D-48FE-A90E-37AE542CC848.jpeg
    7.1 MB · Views: 84
Last edited:
No. when I went to get my rubber gloves on hubby already had him loaded in trailer....he said no we are not going to start sticking fingers in him he's way too swelled already. He and neighbor were afraid he'd bust guts out all over, already bad smelly. Guessing it happened Sunday morning .... just not sure

Crappy deal. Not likely you would have gotten much from a bullet other than caliber. Odds are that someone did this intentionally, so keep an eye out!

Offer a reward ($500-1,000) you decide for information leading to the arrest and conviction of ,,,,,,,
Several years ago I had about 20 hay bales burned and know it was intentional as he (they) cooked hot dogs on them,
Run the ad in the local paper. Never found out who it was but the fires stopped. Should have mentioned there were other
fires including a barn before they got to me. Good luck

That's a bad situation for sure. I've had two get shot over the years. I suspected that in on instance it was someone associated with a neighboring property at the time.

Crappy deal. Not likely you would have gotten much from a bullet other than caliber. Odds are that someone did this intentionally, so keep an eye out!
Well there's really no way— we are back off highway to we're no one could intentionally shoot our cattle that are way in the back. Just don't think it's possible that it was intentional. In back of pastures are huge fields of crops that no one could drive into without our City neighbors noticing .

When I was just a little boy, I had a cow shot. I'd have learned human nature eventually, but it was an awakening.

Well there's really no way— we are back off highway to we're no one could intentionally shoot our cattle that are way in the back. Just don't think it's possible that it was intentional. In back of pastures are huge fields of crops that no one could drive into without our City neighbors noticing .
Maybe a neighbor accidently shot it while using him as a dry fire target? Other than that possibility, the odds of a stay bullet making a nearly perfect lung shot are almost as remote as him getting killed by a meteorite.

That skin "abrasion" seems strange to me. Look fishy to anybody else?
Yup, sure does to me too. Can't hardly believe that it's a gunshot with that. SC Kansas... what kind of wild critters you got running down there? Rough woods in the pasture? Maybe the bull got rowdy with him, got underneath him and wrangled him up into a tree branch, which ran a sharp broken off branch into him then? Pretty unusual shape of abrasion. However, if that punctured a lung as you suggested, that'd allow him to sidle injured to over by the fence, lay down, and eventually expire...................

Last edited:
Yeah, those abrasions aren't normal and not something that happens with bloating. Run a metal detector over the body, if it was shot the bullet will still be in there. If there's no bullet, he wasn't shot. Really doesn't look anything like a gunshot to me.

I am confused by what I see. In the first picture, most of the "abrasion" appears to have fairly distinct edges with mostly straight lines and sharp distinct angles and appears all the hair is gone within the borders. Was there any clipping or shaving done to examine the wound? I assume not. The other angle seems to have some black hair in the middle of the abrasion. Different angle - hard to visualize the same detail from those different angles. And he died sitting up with his legs under him? Not what I would expect. I would think that most gunshot entry wounds would be smaller and smoother. Looks like it will forever be a mystery. The bull in the same pen - any clues there? Odd behavior, nervous, mud or scratches?

Dang, I hate to see that - real sorry! Have you thoroughly checked the bull for any abrasions, anything out of the ordinary?
It is rifle season and possible you have a hunter within a mile that is the worst shot ever. But I agree, that doesn't look like a typical gun shot wound.

@RDFF there are a few mountain lions in SC Kansas.

Is it possible that the skin spit as the body bloated? The hole could have been the weak opening as it festered.

No blood from that lesion...it's postmortem skin stretching/tearing...that animal's been dead quite a while. Bubbling is from bacterial putrefaction, not a lung shot.
I'd say 999 to 1 likelihood that it's not a gunshot wound.
Rest easy and feel better about your fellow man. But you might look at the remaining animal a little more closely/often for any signs of disease.

I had a cow go down on her belly like that with her feet under her and was instantly killed by lightening. A few years ago just west of me a neighbors son had a target up in their back yard and the son target practiced a lot with a ,22. I found 2 cows dead about 3/4 mile away as their walking trail lined up real close to the paper target he was shooting at as it was down hill probably 50 feet were the cows were dead at. I could not prove it and luckily they moved soon after..

I assumed Hunter02 cut the hide to show the suspected bullet entry. I'd also say it would be pretty hard to hit lungs that high up and forward, depending on angle I suppose.

A couple of weeks ago the neighbours had a deer shot and left in their yard while they were away. There was a tuft of hair and a pool of blood, and the deer made it about 15 yards from that before dying. Pinky sized entrance wound behind the shoulder. They called the CO and he opened up the buck to find a piece of broken deer antler inside that nicked the heart. Strange things happen.

Latest posts