Vermeer Rebel baler

Help Support CattleToday:

SmokinM

Reaction score
Anybody got one, use one? How are they and what would a decent one be worth? I don't know a thing about Vermeer hay equipment. Thanks

SmokinM said:
Anybody got one, use one? How are they and what would a decent one be worth? I don't know a thing about Vermeer hay equipment. Thanks
From my experience a Vermeer "I" baler to the current line in good shape will bale with proper maintenance, care and adjustment. If you could find an "I" baler in good shape 5k should buy it and as you get to the later models price will go up. The rebel balers I have looked at are almost identical to the "I" baler. I don't have much experience with the latest redesigned Vermeer balers which I think is the "R" series. There is a Vermeer dealer about 10 miles from me and the salesman/owner is pretty knowledgeable about these when I see him will ask his opinion why the change in design.

listing_pic_1550237_1529887464.jpeg

I had a i series and now have a 554 xl. Both are good balers. The biggest thing is to make sure the pick up teeth are in good shape because if they are wore out it will be hard to start a roll.

We started out with a 605C and have had quite a few over the years. I've got a 604M and a 504L at the moment, and Dad has a 554XL. Anything from a Super I and up is where I'd look, we had a regular I baler and didn't care for the 1-1/4" bearings. I've kept the 504L around for backup but haven't needed it the past couple of years so I'm thinking about rehoming it if you have any interest.

What model(s) have you been looking at?

jltrent said:
I don't have much experience with the latest redesigned Vermeer balers which I think is the "R" series. There is a Vermeer dealer about 10 miles from me and the salesman/owner is pretty knowledgeable about these when I see him will ask his opinion why the change in design.

The R balers are a vertical chamber design using a stuffer system and no bottom drum roller - basically a green baler with yellow paint. Pretty amusing as the bottom drum was one of Vermeer's selling points over Deere for decades. The new design has quite a bit less moving parts and wear points than the older design, specifically in the pickup area. No more cams and associated bushings/bearings. I'd be interested in trying one of the new 504R's, will just be awhile (hopefully!) before I need another baler.

Latest posts