Vermeer 554XL Accu-Bale Plus recalibrate

Help Support CattleToday:

Kp9546

Reaction score
Can someone explain the bale size- recalibrate size on page 30-2 of the Accu Bale Plus manual? The manual shows 37inches for the 554 but how does this relate to bale size? My monitor is currently set on 31 and the bale size is set at 60 inches, the max setting is 42. I don't understand how this setting relates to the bale size.

Measure a bale after ejecting and see what size it is (top to bottom and side to side) My M baler says to calibrate to 46" as the other 14" inches is included in the starting bale formation and not counted in the belts. I would set it to factory recommendations and save. Again, measure a bale and see just what you have. My 2 cents worth I set my max bale size to 58" cause especially in thick hay it is easy to go past the 60" threshold. There will be a lot less stress on the baler and in the long run less bearings going out, laces being ripped apart or broken belts, etc.

Measure a bale after ejecting and see what size it is (top to bottom and side to side) My M baler says to calibrate to 46" as the other 14" inches is included in the starting bale formation and not counted in the belts. I would set it to factory recommendations and save. Again, measure a bale and see just what you have. My 2 cents worth I set my max bale size to 58" cause especially in thick hay it is easy to go past the 60" threshold. There will be a lot less stress on the baler and in the long run less bearings going out, laces being ripped apart or broken belts, etc.
The max bale size for the 554 is 67 inches so at 60 I'm well below its capacity. No where in my manuals does it explain, or define, how many inches are included in the starting bale, nor that amount must be added to the setting size when programming the monitor. If my settings are at 31 on a 60 inch bale are you saying that starting bale size would be 29 inches? If so that seems like critical information that should be described in the calibration procedure, other wise you have no idea what setting to use.

If this number is still good call Vermeer 1-800-829-0051 and ask for the Ag. Division. A technician will call you back at their availability. Ignore what I said above.

Last edited:
If this number is still good call Vermeer 1-800-829-0051 and ask for the Ag. Division. A technician will call you back at their availability. Ignore what I said.
That number is good and they said a tech would call me back, Thanks for the help.

Latest posts