Bale grinder

Help Support CattleToday:

You grind with the netting on? It sounds like horrible thing to introduce into the food chain.
I wouldn't, but 99% of the big feed lots do. Its typically only a long time problem. There are some university studies on the affects of net wrap in the digestive system.
Besides the obvious potential for blockage. Over time the wrap can build up in their rumen and take up holding capacity. If they can't eat as much they won't gain as well.

If the average bale is 1000 pounds, that's 1 pound of plastic into the cow about every month. Sound like a bad practice university studies or not. I hope that somehow is not absorbed by the cow and passed to the consumer in the form of micrplastics.

If the average bale is 1000 pounds, that's 1 pound of plastic into the cow about every month. Sound like a bad practice university studies or not. I hope that somehow is not absorbed by the cow and passed to the consumer in the form of micrplastics.
I don't think absorb any of the plastic. ( no proof, I could be wrong) . I'd be more concerned about broken needles being passed to consumers.

Would you throw a plastic packaged salad into a blender to make coleslaw for yourself without removing the packaging? If not for you, then how about for other people, like if you owned a restaurant? If not, why not? There's no question that it would save time! That's what you're doing when you prepare the salad for your cattle, if you're grinding the net in. On another thread recently on this topic, I mentioned that I had recently read an article about an "organic composter" collecting expired fruit and foodstuffs from grocery stores. He was frustrated that he couldn't get the stores to reliably remove those little stickers with the UPC symbol that they stick on each piece of fruit. If he didn't take them off, it took as much as FOUR TIMES LONGER for the compost windrows to break down! ALL because of micro-plastic contamination. What's a cows stomach? A biological digester... just like the compost. What's the soil? A biological digester... just like the compost. What's YOUR gut? A biological digester...

It CAN'T be a good thing...

Would you throw a plastic packaged salad into a blender to make coleslaw for yourself without removing the packaging? If not for you, then how about for other people, like if you owned a restaurant? If not, why not? There's no question that it would save time! That's what you're doing when you prepare the salad for your cattle, if you're grinding the net in. On another thread recently on this topic, I mentioned that I had recently read an article about an "organic composter" collecting expired fruit and foodstuffs from grocery stores. He was frustrated that he couldn't get the stores to reliably remove those little stickers with the UPC symbol that they stick on each piece of fruit. If he didn't take them off, it took as much as FOUR TIMES LONGER for the compost windrows to break down! ALL because of micro-plastic contamination. What's a cows stomach? A biological digester... just like the compost. What's the soil? A biological digester... just like the compost. What's YOUR gut? A biological digester...

It CAN'T be a good thing...
Never said it was a good thing. The custom guys don't care. Time is money