Truck bale spears

Help Support CattleToday:

Bdubbs55

Reaction score
Do any of you have any experience with trucked bale spears? Really looking into getting one. I dont have a tractor but I don't want to mess with the small square bales anymore. If you do and could let me know if certain brands are better than another or things to watch out for. Any help is appreciated.

Robert

Are you ruling out a flatbed with bale arms? Used to have a Cannonball, currently have a Butler, but Deweze also makes a great one. Bonus: you can pick up/move all sorts of things.
I have a flatbed but im not looking to spend that kinda cash on my hobby just yet. But they do look nice

I have a flatbed but im not looking to spend that kinda cash on my hobby just yet. But they do look nice
I would probably even be fine with a boat crank style to keep costs down. Not even sure if the make those

The ones that go over the gooseneck ball seem to work pretty well.

I'd want an electric winch over a hand crank, and hydraulics over both for safety.

Boat winches suck for letting loads down. Really hurts when you get your hand in the way of that handle when it's spinning at mach 2.

The ones that go over the gooseneck ball seem to work pretty well.

I'd want an electric winch over a hand crank, and hydraulics over both for safety.

Boat winches suck for letting loads down. Really hurts when you get your hand in the way of that handle when it's spinning at mach 2.
That is a fact! When it hits the back of your hand it hurts real bad! Haha

Do any of you have any experience with trucked bale spears? Really looking into getting one. I dont have a tractor but I don't want to mess with the small square bales anymore. If you do and could let me know if certain brands are better than another or things to watch out for. Any help is appreciated.

Robert

Just find the one you like the best and go buy the steel and make it. They are super easy to build.
Thats all I ever do with any attachment like that.
I always take ideas from numerous different ones and just make mine to what I want from all those ideas and make it better.
Just google images search.
I am currently doing this with a new squeeze chute. So many moving parts and clearances to make work perfectly...it's more of a challenge but super satisfying.
Easily a 1/3 the cost of a store bought ones if u buy new steel. If using scrap even cheaper.

Get a bale buggy and save the wear and tear on your truck. You can pull it with an atv or utv also. Saw a youtube video of one that used a hand pump to a hydraulic cylinder. It looked like it worked great in the video.

I'd stay away from the ones with brakes.

Anyone have experience with the aluminum body Fords, and a gooseneck hay spear?

I used to bale 5-6000 round bales and 10-12000 squares every year, usually cutting and baling by myself. I had day labor help when picking up the squares, the rounds I loaded and hauled myself but had some pretty big customers who sent 18 wheelers after some of it. Every time I saw a bale dolly behind a truck or a truck with a bale spear attachment on it I would wonder if they were the guys stealing my hay. I had so much stolen through the years I could retire on what it cost,

Latest posts