Bale Spears

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
anyone had any luck out of Tarter or King Kutter spears? 3pt or loader type. I need a second one so looking around. not finding much used.

I agree not much luck with them, throw landpride on that list too. Used ones that are any account are like hen teeth and usually bring darn near new prices.

So many places sell brands I have never heard of. The one I have is a woods that is 24 years old without issues. What are the good ones?

I have ordered a couple online before and they come to your door in just a few days. I bought a 3-point ball hitch to pull the goose necks around behind the tractor and have had many loads on a 25' trailer (14 5x5 bales loaded) and not torn it up yet.

Last edited:
I have a Titan on mine, out of Mississippi, I bought the Pro frame model that has the pallet forks and has the receiver for the bale spear and receiver hitch for a ball to pull trailers made into the frame. Then purchased the spears separately from them too. So far, I like it. I even like the ball hitch for moving trailers and equipment while cutting grass, Handy as a pocket on a shirt.
Here is a link to what I bought. They delivered it to my door by FedEx:

No I'm not a salesman for them just like what I bought. I use the pallet forks just as much or more than the bale spear. They do just sell the bale spear though.

I've got two king kutter bale spears. They're ok. Neither one of them get used very much.
One is the kind that bolts on over the bucket. It's easy for my dad to put on and off. He moves 1 round bale about every two weeks.
The other one is a 3pt spear that we sometimes use when we're carrying two bales with the tractor.

I have ordered a couple online before and they come to your door in just a few days. I bought a 3-point ball hitch to pull the goose necks around behind the tractor and have had many loads on a 25' trailer (14 5x5 bales loaded) and not torn it up yet.

I see some on there that are less than $300, supposedly ships Fed Ex, so that would be good as trucks can't come here. Not sure how good they are.

I build all my own frames and then use SHW spears and sockets. I haven't seen too many factory made setups that will handle 2x 2000+lb silage bales at a time and not get destroyed.

I have an Armstrong brand 3pt. It's not total junky but not real heavy duty. Looked at it the other day and the ear that comes off for one of the bottom pins was bent. No clue how or when it happened but at some point it folded a little.

That's pretty bad when you don't even realize you did it.

I see a lot of the spears on there for less than $300 makes me wonder how good they can be.

Stumbled across this 3 point spear, I like the concept but wonder if it's any good.

Last edited:
I build my spears out of old salvaged truck axles. 1-1/2 ton trucks are best and ain't broke one yet
I have a couple my dad made that way. With my Vermeer balers the bales as so thigh they want go in. You can use them on the 5x5 bales kind of, but you just push the 5x4 bales trying to get them in. Even the tapered rods all the way out can be a pita to use. I have used pallet forks on some bales to move.

Last edited:
I've bought a couple things from Vevor... all I'll say is mid-grade Chinese junk. My theory has been I need it to last for one project at their price point.

Not something I would trust for multiple uses in a bale spear...

Latest posts