Vac. of herd bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

My shute has a clearence of about 26" the bull is to large to fit thru the extension to my shute, he is reluctant to enter and if he does then it is difficult to get him out. Thats what made me wonder if it was necessary to give him a shot?

Do you have a nice alley behind the chute and have access to give shots back there without injury to yourself?

We have a bull who doesn't like to get into the squeeze, so I work him (annual vaccines including worming) in the alley behind the squeeze and allow him to walk through the squeeze with the side door open.

We try to, but with our current two bulls this past year will be the last year they get needles, barring a major investment in handling facilities. Our Horned Herf just about broke through the sides of the chute with his horns and the crossbred bull just about took the entire squeeze chute with him when he hit the headgate. Did I mention our fellas don't like needles. :cowboy:

We give the needles at the same time as they get the breeding soundness evaluation. As well they get dectomax. Kind of kill three birds with one stone. In the fall they get another dose of dectomax with a few mouthfuls of grain. It's nice the gun can shoot a ways. You need a strong system for the bulls.

i like taking the boys into the vet because they are hard to fit in everthing a cow will fit in. we worm and leto-vibro.

Latest posts