Ugly Cow Contest

Help Support CattleToday:

cfpinz

Reaction score
For all those folks who like to criticize other people's cattle, here's an easy target:

Img_0922.jpg

She's not what I look for in a cow, took a chance on her because I thought she had been neglected and was planning to turn her around quick until I saw what she did with a calf. Bought her 1/19/05 for $675, had a calf within 24 hours. Sold said calf 9 months later for $666.70. Dropped her next calf on 1/20/06 which is in with the replacements now. This year she spit out this little baldy on 1/08. You don't need pretty cows to make money.

cfpinz

If you would put some of that baled hay in the background into this old lady, and get her up to 1250#, you would be surprised what she would look like! She sure makes poppin" calves.

DOC HARRIS

a cow's beauty should be measured only by the calf at her side, provided that she has one every 12 months and continue to do so for a long productive life.

I am sure if this cow was in good condition no one on the board will even recognise her if seen again.

When a cow loses so much condition when nursing a calf she is bound to end up open sooner or later, I am surprized at her calving interval, hope she keeps it up.

Shes not ugly... shes just a momma cow doing what she does best... raisin good calves. I got a few like her; have great calves, breed back right on time, and never do look like some of my "heavier" or "beefed-up" cows.

DOC HARRIS":1hmzotdq said:
If you would put some of that baled hay in the background into this old lady, and get her up to 1250#, you would be surprised what she would look like! She sure makes poppin" calves.

DOC HARRIS

You mean you've got to feed the hay, I knew I'd been missing something! :lol: I've shoved every type of hay we have in front of the old girl, even threw her in with the 1st calf heifers this winter on a lick tank, she won't gain condition for love of money. Three types of wormer, no scours, good teeth. She's just doing her job.

cfpinz

I understand the Ugly Cow thing. I have one that is as big as a house with EPD's in the toilet. She gets grass hay and mineral only. Currently nursing twins, and even that won't take any condition off of her.

However she take a embryo transplant every year without fail (so far), and is the best mother on my place.

As long as she keeps that up, I am willing to invest the extra it takes to feed the large frame score.

To paraphrase: Ugly (or pretty) is as ugly (or pretty) does.

dun

i bought an old cow from a man once that we named ugly. she was bad.. but weaned the most %age wise of anything in the pasture, which was why i bought her. took a chance on getting another good heifer from her, but her last calf wasnt as good as the others and i didnt keep it.

i do have one of her heifers now in my herd that favors her some, and weans 60% of her weight every year. wish i had a pasture full of em like her.

jt

The calf sure is pretty, but I gotta tell you, I dont feel so bad about some of my cows now. Thanks for that

Beefy":906qconl said:
that cows not even ugly.

Bring it. I'll have to take a picture of "Popeyes". You can use your imagination on that one.

cfpinz

I've got an ugly one myself. Some of you may remember her ( she was givin to me) , I do have pics but can't get them to post.

i know you didnt! dont make me sort thru my ugly stack...i could put you to shame but i might get deported. i mean, reported.

cfpinz, I think what you got there is, a lesson on how to make money in the cattle business. 8) :D

cfpinz, I've got one too. She's so not pretty. She's black Angus, has numerous little white speckles that look like old scars, droopy ears, looks underfed, just awful. Breeds back right on time, calves within 12 months and raises dandy calves.
She does an excellent job.

Katherine

Beefy":21b7qbys said:
take, for instance, my mexican hairless, "Elvira."

Picture_1976.jpg

That look on Elvira's face and in her eyes says you just been flipped off.

Alice

Alice, is that what that look means? Wow..and all these years ....and I never knew that. Makes me wonder what they do behind my back now... :lol:

Latest posts