Old cow....new baby

Help Support CattleToday:

Sure did. And her dam, and her dam. This is my #3 cow family. The original #3 cow was purchased as a bred yearling to add a new cow family. Well, probably half my whole herd is from that first heifer.
Hudson Pines Farm, owned by David Rockefeller leased 3 of my cows to flush - #3, #60 and #74. I got half the embryos for rent.
They would keep her for a year, conventional flush every 60 days, bred to the top bulls in the nation. This cow, #3, averaged 19 quality embryos. Great boost to my farm....and great honor that they "wanted" my genetics.

Warren, the sire is solid red. This cow is hetero black. Most all my #3 cows were hetero. She had a full sib to this calf 2 years ago, that was sold, so I'm glad to get another.
This cow's dam was 15 years old and spit out a set of twin heifers, red and black. Raised both thru the winter and came up open, so shipped at 16 years old.

Sure did. And her dam, and her dam. This is my #3 cow family. The original #3 cow was purchased as a bred yearling to add a new cow family. Well, probably half my whole herd is from that first heifer.
Hudson Pines Farm, owned by David Rockefeller leased 3 of my cows to flush - #3, #60 and #74. I got half the embryos for rent.
They would keep her for a year, conventional flush every 60 days, bred to the top bulls in the nation. This cow, #3, averaged 19 quality embryos. Great boost to my farm....and great honor that they "wanted" my genetics.
For sure. Was no skimping at HPF.

Did you go to their dispersal? My cousin and a neighbor went, said it was pretty fancy.

Oh yes. I went to all their sales, except a couple held in KY.
Their sales were top of the tops. The pre-sale parties were held in the playhouse on the Rockefeller Estate. Great times.

This is the original #3 at 13 years old.
My folks had a couple of prints of paintings done long, long ago hung on the wall of cows from the past and that cow reminds me of them. They show very boxy, deep animals with extremely slender, short legs. Idealized for the times, I guess.

Latest posts