Meat quality on a 30 month old angus cow ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Richnm

Reaction score
I have a 30 month old angus cow that weaned here first calf. She won't breed back. My neighbor wants her for beef (steaks, and hamburger ). I have given her 10 pounds of crack corn and unlimited wheat hay the last few months. Will the meat quality suffer being that she just weaned a calf ? She is in great shape. I hate to sell a bad product. Thanks

Attachments

• FD26499F-B8EE-4694-B022-0E7436BF49D4.jpeg
    FD26499F-B8EE-4694-B022-0E7436BF49D4.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 23
I have a 30 month old angus cow that weaned here first calf. She won't breed back. My neighbor wants her for beef (steaks, and hamburger ). I have given her 10 pounds of crack corn and unlimited wheat hay the last few months. Will the meat quality suffer being that she just weaned a calf ? She is in great shape. I hate to sell a bad product. Thanks
No.

She will be fine. If she had just had thr calf I would be hesitant myself.

Being that she is still possibly making milk could have an interesting nutrient content in the meat. In a good way I'd think.

Ought to be a fine eating experience. The processor should be able to tell if something is undesirable about the carcass when they start cutting it. Maybe tell them to check it out good before they get too far into cutting it if you are a bit worried about it. Can always grind it worst case scenario.

Older animals have a more 'beefy' flavor which is a good thing.
As long as she is on the gain you should be fine. How long as her calf
been weaned?

I've processed two at that age and circumstance. Learned from the first one and ground all of the second one into burger.

There are people over in Europe that use a terminal cross system where they will breed a heifer, let her raise a calf or even two, and then send her to slaughter. The heifer is considered high quality meat at that age. The heifer is a 1/2 blood cross from a double muscled bull, and the calves are never bred or retained and go to slaughter because they are 3/4.
I doubt your 30 month old cow will be a meat quality problem. When an older animal's fat starts getting yellow it can get to be lower quality but at 30 months it should still be fine.

Just got my meat back on a bald face/angus cow that had first calf came up open and had a bad attitude. Grass fed. Delicious. Just had a grilled sirloin tonight and that was good too. I had another mostly angus coming 3 year old that I couldn't get bred back that I had butchered last year and meat was excellent on her also grass fed.

Just got my meat back on a bald face/angus cow that had first calf came up open and had a bad attitude. Grass fed. Delicious. Just had a grilled sirloin tonight and that was good too. I had another mostly angus coming 3 year old that I couldn't get bred back that I had butchered last year and meat was excellent on her also grass fed.
Do you normally eat grain fed beef?
I only eat grain fed and we butchered a 6 yr old cow that we thought was pregnant with a fall calf, but was not. We were low on hamburg, so we decided to butcher her. My butcher called and said the meat was excellent and would make tender steaks, so I said OK, make steaks. The meat is tender, but if you get even a slight bit of fat, it tastes discusting - rancid. Obviously,I do not like older/aged beef - or grass fed. Lot of you on here talk about older cattle get more flavor. Well, I guess I do NOT like it.

I only eat grain fed and we butchered a 6 yr old cow that we thought was pregnant with a fall calf, but was not. We were low on hamburg, so we decided to butcher her. My butcher called and said the meat was excellent and would make tender steaks, so I said OK, make steaks. The meat is tender, but if you get even a slight bit of fat, it tastes discusting - rancid. Obviously,I do not like older/aged beef - or grass fed. Lot of you on here talk about older cattle get more flavor. Well, I guess I do NOT like it.
I would say what you are tasting that is disgusting could be the fault of the cooling/aging process. We've had that happen if there is too many carcasses in the cooler and the air can't circulate as it should. It ruined our hamburger. Does your hamburger taste okay? My mother was a meat wrapper for years and she always said the 'taint' is in the fat. So that makes we wonder how the hamburger was.

Some butchers know some tricks of the trade that others don't. An older animal may have yellow(ish) fat and it will taste "off". But a good butcher will trim as much yellow fat as possible and save the white kidney fat from younger animals and mix it in on an older one. It makes all the difference in the world.

I would say what you are tasting that is disgusting could be the fault of the cooling/aging process. We've had that happen if there is too many carcasses in the cooler and the air can't circulate as it should. It ruined our hamburger. Does your hamburger taste okay? My mother was a meat wrapper for years and she always said the 'taint' is in the fat. So that makes we wonder how the hamburger was.
Thst could be my problem. I had a yearling heifer butchered. She hung for 7 days. The fat has a really gamey flavor. Meat is ok but the fat is gamey!!!

I've always had grain fed beef until I sent that open coming 3 year old cow last year. I really liked the burgers and steaks so I sent another one this year. I have a 7 year old cow (bad bag) that I need to cull this fall but I think if I butcher her I'll just have it all made into burger.