Ugly Cow Contest

Help Support CattleToday:

Limomike":21jcgiku said:
Alice, is that what that look means? Wow..and all these years ....and I never knew that. Makes me wonder what they do behind my back now... :lol:

Have you ever seen those Gary Larson Far Side cartoons with the cows in them? That is a Gary Larson cow if I ever saw one.

Here's links to some of them. I post the pic, but his stuff is copyrighted all to he11.

http://cathecate.com/FriendsAndFamily/F ... otting.gif

http://www.darylscience.com/graphics/FarSideCownCar.gif

http://accordionguy.blogware.com/Photos ... st-cow.gif

showphoto.php

she sure is ugly, but that calf says it all!

Ugly cows are cool, at least you don't have to worry about anyone stealing them. :lol:

cfpinz

I don't think I can beat the last one, but here are a couple of ours that aren't so pretty to look at.

This one raise a 600# steer last year. Picture was taken after her second set of twins were born. Not that she usually looks much better.
78cow.jpg

This one also raise a 600# steer. She has no ears, 3 teats (froze one off as a 2 year old) and poor feet. Only reason she is here is her frozen ears. Wasn't worth ANYTHING as a calf because of her ears. But she is a survivor, one of those should have been dead calves.
219cow.jpg

This old girl was part of a group of heifers I sold to a guy for replacements. He culled her out, frozen ears and tail and sort of runty. Anyway she messed around and got bred. That was 10 years ago.

This was taken Sept, 06 and she is about to calve again.

p10100262.jpg

Folks - Here, in sharp, living color, is an "Object Lesson" in the importance of using the BEST BULLS that are available on whatever cows one has at their disposal! If the bulls that these "Circumstantial Cows" had been bred to were as 'unacceptable' as seedstock as these cows, are, you can bet "The Ranch" and the "Back Forty" that their calves would not look like these calves do!

It is important that we use optimal quality cows in our seedstock programs, but it is IMPERATIVE that our Bulls are the very best quality that is obtainable - just to stay even!

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":qjga9npz said:
If the bulls that these "Circumstantial Cows" had been bred to were as 'unacceptable' as seedstock as these cows, are, you can bet "The Ranch" and the "Back Forty" that their calves would not look like these calves do!

While I certainly agree with using the best bull you can afford, I've got an old girl that would rate right in there with the worst of these pictures, and you could breed her to the ugliest doggoned bull going and still end up with a helluva calf.

The problem with trying to judge the worthiness of those poor old froze up cows is that you can't. Being froze up as a calf stunts them up, so you really have no idea what their genetic potential is.

That old froze up girl of mine? She's 1200 lbs and delivers me a 650-700lb calf every single fall, including the one year I bred her to a really lousy Maine bull. I've got a couple of her heifers in the crowd that consistently deliver top end calves, and her steers always weigh in the top 5.

Wish I had 300 of her around here...

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo":3qibhup5 said:
DOC HARRIS":3qibhup5 said:
If the bulls that these "Circumstantial Cows" had been bred to were as 'unacceptable' as seedstock as these cows, are, you can bet "The Ranch" and the "Back Forty" that their calves would not look like these calves do!

While I certainly agree with using the best bull you can afford, I've got an old girl that would rate right in there with the worst of these pictures, and you could breed her to the ugliest doggoned bull going and still end up with a helluva calf.

The problem with trying to judge the worthiness of those poor old froze up cows is that you can't.
  • Being froze up as a calf stunts them up, so you really have no idea what their genetic potential is.
That old froze up girl of mine? She's 1200 lbs and delivers me a 650-700lb calf every single fall, including the one year I bred her to a really lousy Maine bull. I've got a couple of her heifers in the crowd that consistently deliver top end calves, and her steers always weigh in the top 5.

Wish I had 300 of her around here...

Rod
thats exactly 100% sorta like the ugly ducklin. inside that sack of ugly could be all the makins of champion just didnt make it to it genetic potentail all the good stuff is there just not visable too the eyeball. wadded up in a big pile of ugly. seen it happen to great animals that went through the wrong hand's or unfortunite begginings ;-)

This has got to be the ugliest cow or at least the oddest looking cow that anyone has ever seen. She was suppose to be Jersey Hereford mix - but I believe there was something else in the mix, she always raised the best calf - never a problem calving, certainly enough milk for her calf and for us, and the neighbors.

Oakley_pepper.jpg

Oakley2.jpg

This was her as a calf!! Big difference.
Oakley1.jpg

She is definitely odd looking, but I like her alot. Then again I raise longhorns and Galloways so I doubt my opinion means much to most..

Coolpop, For sure you don't win the ugly cow contest. Not a bad cow at all. And there is something in there other than Hereford/Jersey. 8)

coolpop":3j6e1381 said:
you have to admit she is very odd looking cow!! :lol:

No she's not...and she's got a beautiful baby... :heart:

Alice