tri sided PHD shaft repair..worth it?

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
Hung a root while drilling a post hole yesterday and twisted off the drive line tube on my 3pt PHD about 14" from where it connects to the PTO shaft . Are they worth trying to repair (weld in a new tube) or do I just buy a whole new driveline complete with u-joints?
If repairable, where do you buy the blank tube?

greybeard":2u8n6e4w said:
Hung a root while drilling a post hole yesterday and twisted off the drive line tube on my 3pt PHD about 14" from where it connects to the PTO shaft . Are they worth trying to repair (weld in a new tube) or do I just buy a whole new driveline complete with u-joints?
If repairable, where do you buy the blank tube?

Tractor supply, rural king should have the tri tube . If yokes are good just replace tubes

Thanks, I'll take a look at our TSC but they don't carry much of anything unless it has to do with goats dogs or clothes...
(It's one time I'm glad I still had the plastic shield on the driveline)

I'd be concerned about why it twisted off. Should have a shear pin or slip clutch to prevent that.

I would replace the tubing as you can buy online whatever you need. I broke a pipe on my V-rake (hung it on a wood post)and the size tube was not standard, so I got online and got exactly what I needed shipped to my door and a pretty good price. My welding usually holds, but I did get a guy who makes a liven weld it and it probably is stronger that OEM. Tell them what you need and they work steel for a liven and will send what you need.

Lots of companys online. Here is one for example. Those drive-lines usually are pretty pricey.

https://www.discountsteel.com/items/Steel_Tube_Pipe.cfm

Atimm693":1ndekrln said:
I'd be concerned about why it twisted off. Should have a shear pin or slip clutch to prevent that.
I've never seen a slip clutch on a 3pt post hole digger.
The newer 3 sided tubes appear to be fixed to the ujoint hub with a drive pin, which may or may not shear. This one was OEM and the tube was welded to the ujoint on the tractor pto shaft end, with a 5/16 bolt and nut on the gearbox end of the tube....................but, it appears that gearbox input shaft id keyed. (I really haven't gotten a good look at it yet) It twisted off in the part of the tube that was exposed or extended from the other 1/2 of the tube, making it a single thickness tube-the weakest part of the tube. Pretty small diameter and wall tube too.

Yeah my post hole digger just stalls the tractor when it grabs something tough, But I never like when it happens. Have also needed a large tractors loader to pull it out a few times since 3pt hitch couldnt lift itself back out at times.

Replacement shaft it expensive enough by itself, entire new assemblies will scare you.

You probably know this, but make sure the yokes are lined up properly before welding them or the shaft won't last very long at all.

I had an old Danuser F8 that would shear the pins off that held the auger to the gearbox shaft. One day I used a Grade 5 bolt instead of a Grade 2 because it's all I had laying around. Did not end well.

Now I've got one for our skid loader, it doesn't have any shear protection other than the loader hydraulics.

Rajela":jyz9qimt said:
You should be able to pick up a new shaft for less than $100.00.
If it is like every new shaft I have priced he will probably be in the market for a whole new PHD.

jltrent":2mzp9ecp said:
Rajela":2mzp9ecp said:
If it is like every new shaft I have priced he will probably be in the market for a whole new PHD.
close to it.
The tube itself isn't availabe locally.......everyone here carries sq shafts. :(

jltrent":1vgfiqca said:
Rajela":1vgfiqca said:

Your not shopping in the right places.

Check around some of the local implement dealers. They usually have some busted shafts the you can get the tube off of. I have several laying behind my shop.

Doubt it considering what you are dealing with, what's expected of it, and the sizing limitations involved.

If you cant find the donor part why couldn't you cut the yokes off and then use square tube for the shaft? Should be easy to use the 2 different sizes to build the shaft. The shear bolt should have protected the shaft you currently have/had. I bought a used PHD and went about my work setting posts. It seems the previous owner replaced the shear bolt with a grade 8 bolt and I did not think to check that. I busted the gear in the gear box...expensive lesson learned for me.

Latest posts