tri sided PHD shaft repair..worth it?

Help Support CattleToday:

SALTBRANCH2":4lkas16p said:
If you cant find the donor part why couldn't you cut the yokes off and then use square tube for the shaft? Should be easy to use the 2 different sizes to build the shaft. The shear bolt should have protected the shaft you currently have/had. I bought a used PHD and went about my work setting posts. It seems the previous owner replaced the shear bolt with a grade 8 bolt and I did not think to check that. I busted the gear in the gear box...expensive lesson learned for me.
That's what I was thinking

If you can find square tubing the right size you might be able to cut the existing shaft down but leave some length to it so you can slide the square tubing over it and know that your lined up just right then have it welded

Been on a fence project and haven't done anything to it except remove the other half of the driveline from the gearbox end. Found out why the grade5 shear bolt didn't shear. The u-joint hub was rusted to the input shaft of the gearbox's input shaft. Not badly enough to use heat to get it off , but probably enough. It took some PB Blaster and some hammering to get it to start moving and get it off.

Latest posts