too much water

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
This is a new one for me, this lady entered a radio contest, to win a Nintendo. Who could drink the most water without going to the bathroom. Well she won, only a few hours after she went to the hospital and died from too much water, she drowned herself. Now her family is sueing, of course, the radio station and wants their license taken away. I'm not sure how I feel about this, on one hand the radio station should have known their were risks, but on the other hand the person should have known it too, what do you all think?

GMN

I might have to Snopes that one. Sounds like one of those stories to me. You can drown yourself internally, though, from drinking too much water. I had a client do that once. Started having seizures because she had messed up her chemical balance. It seems to me that you would have to drink up a lot of water, though. Like, over 100 ounces.

Heard the same story. Water intoxication, I believe is the term they used. My understanding, though, was that she lost the contest. I didn't know there was such a condition. I heard the next day all employees associated with the contest were fired. Must not have consulted the attorney prior to running the contest.

same thing happend at SMU in Dallas a few years ago. It was some fraternity hazing, making them drink a lot of water. one of the pledges drank too much and died.

Lammie, no need to Snope this one. It's true. Been all over the news here! Sad, but she should have known the risks.

Cuz-Pat":358dslxu said:
Lammie, no need to Snope this one. It's true. Been all over the news here! Sad, but she should have known the risks.

I knew you could drown yourself, and it does happen from time to time. I can't believe that anyone would do something like that in a contest. Guess people will do anything, though.

I think this came as a big surprise to a lot of people but it is a very real condition. Increased fluids in your body causes your electrolytes to become very dilute and then - well, you see the outcome.

People where calling the radio station telling them that drinking to much water was dangerous and could kill you, every thime the radio station denied it, any time you do something like that you should have the EMS on hand, its common sense

the radio station should have looked into anything like this, and alway seek medical advice when it comes to do with things like the body. very irresponsible on their part, hope the family wins. As few people would know about this condition.

Ive always heard that too much water causes the brain to swell. Both parties there are responsible for that one, they both should have known that too much water can kill you. And the system is $250, its the cheaper one, but hardest to find.

They should have stuck with a hot dog eating contest or something common.

GMN":tqivck6k said:
This is a new one for me, this lady entered a radio contest, to win a Nintendo. Who could drink the most water without going to the bathroom. Well she won, only a few hours after she went to the hospital and died from too much water, she drowned herself. Now her family is sueing, of course, the radio station and wants their license taken away. I'm not sure how I feel about this, on one hand the radio station should have known their were risks, but on the other hand the person should have known it too, what do you all think?

GMN

Why do people do stupid, degrading, humiliating things to win small prizes? I've never figured that one out.
Radio stations get free publicity. Usually the newspaper will send a reporter to an event billed as "What's the grossest thing YOU would do for free front row tickets to the KISS concert.
It ain't even fifteen minutes of fame. It's 5 minutes of ignominy. 10 minutes if you actually win the contest. "Hey Everbody watch this."
In many ways, it's like running for president.

no-one is saying it isn't stupid, but would you be making all these comments if it was one of your family. The Radio Station should have researched more before doing any comp: as they are a Public Service after all.

The DJs at the radio station were aware of the risks. They are on tape making jokes about having the contestant sign a release so they felt they would be held harmless when it went south. The tape is the reason for the criminal investigation.

Latest posts