You don't see this much in England anymore

Help Support CattleToday:

devonian

Reaction score
Whereas in America and other new worlds you may drove your cattle with horses or atvs across plains, valleys and rivers but here in the uk we've always moved our cattle along the country roads, in the past people used to get a little fed up with it (possibly) especially since city people moved to the countryside but no one really does it anymore presumably farmers just don't graze far away pastures anymore or if they do ship theirs via a big cattle trailer. Anyway we still move our cattle on the road, as we did recently, as we have three separate pastures about a mile and a half between each along the road, and its kinda fun tbh as it like a unofficial cattle parade, keeps you fit and nowadays people genuinely seem pleased to see cattle on the roads as they just don't see it anymore.

IMG_20230911_174945869_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230911_175249443_HDR.jpgIMG_20230911_175652005.jpgIMG_20230911_181029526_HDR.jpgIMG_1319.jpg

We had 2 pastures that were just under a mile apart... dirt roads... used to move the cattle from one to the other exactly like you are doing... got several friends to block off the couple of driveways that were inviting into other fields... and a couple roads so the cows would turn up the one we wanted... Son would go ahead with the round bale feeding truck (cows know the truck) and ALWAYS had at least 2-3 cows in the group that knew the routine... they would practically run ahead of the truck since they knew where they were going....
Sadly, one place was sold and the other guy stopped allowing cattle to graze as he had to plant "deer plots" ....
like we don't have an overpopulation of deer now.....and it is growing up into scrub and crap and the deer are now grazing out on the hayfields more and in the neighbor's fields next to him, and they are shooting all they can during hunting season because they are becoming a total nuisance for him in the , feeding his cattle...
We not only fed the hay there and improved the pasture over the 20 years... but bush hogged every year and kept the briars and autumn olive down and the multiflora roses....
SO STUPID.....

In Australia we still have a network of stock routes and there are still droving contractors that will take large groups of cattle hundreds of km sometimes 1000km or more to a destination grazing the feed on the stock route as they go. It is also used as a drought strategy by some where they might put their cows on the road grazing the stock route for hundreds of km before coming back to the home place when conditions improve. It is a tough life as feed is not always plentifull on the route and even though there are strategic water points on the route some may be dry or not well maintained. An experienced drover usually has the skills to navigate these hurdles and often have their own water truck and may bring feed in.

Ken

In Australia we still have a network of stock routes and there are still droving contractors that will take large groups of cattle hundreds of km sometimes 1000km or more to a destination grazing the feed on the stock route as they go. It is also used as a drought strategy by some where they might put their cows on the road grazing the stock route for hundreds of km before coming back to the home place when conditions improve. It is a tough life as feed is not always plentifull on the route and even though there are strategic water points on the route some may be dry or not well maintained. An experienced drover usually has the skills to navigate these hurdles and often have their own water truck and may bring feed in.

Ken
How does the drover contractor charge by the head or distance or both ?

Whereas in America and other new worlds you may drove your cattle with horses or atvs across plains, valleys and rivers but here in the uk we've always moved our cattle along the country roads, in the past people used to get a little fed up with it (possibly) especially since city people moved to the countryside but no one really does it anymore presumably farmers just don't graze far away pastures anymore or if they do ship theirs via a big cattle trailer. Anyway we still move our cattle on the road, as we did recently, as we have three separate pastures about a mile and a half between each along the road, and its kinda fun tbh as it like a unofficial cattle parade, keeps you fit and nowadays people genuinely seem pleased to see cattle on the roads as they just don't see it anymore.

View attachment 34901
View attachment 34902View attachment 34903View attachment 34904View attachment 34905
ARe you driving them on horseback? On foot? How?

We had 2 pastures that were just under a mile apart... dirt roads... used to move the cattle from one to the other exactly like you are doing... got several friends to block off the couple of driveways that were inviting into other fields... and a couple roads so the cows would turn up the one we wanted... Son would go ahead with the round bale feeding truck (cows know the truck) and ALWAYS had at least 2-3 cows in the group that knew the routine... they would practically run ahead of the truck since they knew where they were going....
Sadly, one place was sold and the other guy stopped allowing cattle to graze as he had to plant "deer plots" ....
like we don't have an overpopulation of deer now.....and it is growing up into scrub and crap and the deer are now grazing out on the hayfields more and in the neighbor's fields next to him, and they are shooting all they can during hunting season because they are becoming a total nuisance for him in the , feeding his cattle...
We not only fed the hay there and improved the pasture over the 20 years... but bush hogged every year and kept the briars and autumn olive down and the multiflora roses....
SO STUPID.....
Don't get me started on autumn olive, multi-flora rose, Ailanthus (tree-of-heaven) [or tree-of-hell as the Brits call it, literally] and an excess of (white tail) deer. I wouldn't call those who plant deer plots stupid. Maybe uneducated or short sighted, but not stupid.

@Mark Reynolds , this owner is my son's age, and was raised here on a small farm... married into this place, and now that the father died, they have moved from their other house to here and so he has more time to be the "landowner".... and the deer plots thing is STUPID.... because he knows better with the population of deer here that are over running things... we have a 10 acre orchard grass field there that we make hay on in the bottom along the road.... and make hay on 2 other sections of what we used to run cattle on... and he is the "know it all "big wildlife expert huntsman"....
the plots are supposed to help the bucks grow bigger antlers... which would be fine if they would stay on his property... BUT... with the fields turning into more trash where we are not making any hay, the deer are going to the 2 other neighbors that run cattle and make hay and they are being shot because they are multiplying at a 150-200% rate... and he says you can't shoot any does... which is totally stupid with the over population.... so the bucks will never get bigger and better because the deer are overcrowding the available forage in the winter...
For 20 years we "managed" the fields with the cattle on for 6 months... 1st of Dec through June...off for the summer growing and stockpiling for 5-6 months.... cut one cutting of hay off the 2 pasture fields then let it regrow for winter grazing...cows were locked off those fields by mid march.... (the orchard grass field is not fenced so never grazed) There are more turkeys there than there ever were... even with a healthy grey fox population as there is a breeding pair and she had 8 one year and at least 6 the following year... we kept the trash from overtaking things with once a year bush hogging .... and now he is letting it go to hell with not any maintenance and the deer are in the orchard grass field more than they have ever been and in the neighbors fields... including eating hay with their cows... and since we do not have cattle there to feed every winter with the hay made there... we move the hay and feed at other places... the cattle are not putting back the nutrients... manure/urine... and due to steepness of getting up and down the hill to the top hayfield.. it is getting only commercial fertilizer now with no added organic matter put back into the ground... my son does not bring down 2 big rolls off that hill unless the weather is perfect or he could lose the truck on the steepness... he is not taking the litter truck up there to spread... the commercial fertilizer truck guy hates to go up there and only takes a partial load... enough to just cover the 2 fields up top... he has been doing it for years, and goes places that no sensible person would go... but tells son that he spreads the OG field first and takes the rest up and tries to make sure he has enough ( has all those gauges and such) but that he will NOT take more than just enough up there...
I go up it with the 4600 ford with the tedder or the rake and come down in 1st, low range.... taking no chances... won't drive a 2 wd truck up it for slipping on the shaly spots.
His land, his management, his stupidity....

@farmerjan, I try to give people the benefit of the doubt, but after you have given him the title "know it all "big wildlife expert huntsman", and I imagine he has earned it by not letting any does be shot with an apparent over population of deer currently, I see your point and would agree with you based on your expanded explanation. Agricultural producers often are some of the best conservationists around and proponents of/for wildlife habitat. They can also fall on the other end of the spectrum. I consider myself somewhat unique in the fact that I have earned a Wildlife Science/Management degree and an Animal Science degree followed by a MS in Rangeland Resources. I don't readily advertise it, but the two initial degrees are actually quite complementary. Half or more of the general public tell me that when I inform them of this that I have to be lying because they think that there is no way someone who is dedicated to wildlife can also be dedicated to agriculture when in all actuality it is quite the opposite for those who are educated and have an open mind. It appears that your "know it all "big wildlife expert huntsman" is neither of these, even though I imagine he claims to be.

How does the drover contractor charge by the head or distance or both ?
I really don't know. I think back in the old days he got paid for how many he turned up with at the destination. There are some really good books written by old drovers on their exploits, I love reading them but just don't have the time these days.

Ken

ARe you driving them on horseback? On foot? How?
A combination of pick up (at the rear) truck and on foot, older people in the truck and younger people on foot, there can be a lot of running around blocking open gateways and getting back in front of the cattle, but its pretty chilled thee days. We used to do the entire 4 mile stretch when my uncle owned cattle when I was a boy and it seemed like an epic albeit slightly scary adventure as sometimes things went a bit awry, not so much now though.

@farmerjan, I try to give people the benefit of the doubt, but after you have given him the title "know it all "big wildlife expert huntsman", and I imagine he has earned it by not letting any does be shot with an apparent over population of deer currently, I see your point and would agree with you based on your expanded explanation. Agricultural producers often are some of the best conservationists around and proponents of/for wildlife habitat. They can also fall on the other end of the spectrum. I consider myself somewhat unique in the fact that I have earned a Wildlife Science/Management degree and an Animal Science degree followed by a MS in Rangeland Resources. I don't readily advertise it, but the two initial degrees are actually quite complementary. Half or more of the general public tell me that when I inform them of this that I have to be lying because they think that there is no way someone who is dedicated to wildlife can also be dedicated to agriculture when in all actuality it is quite the opposite for those who are educated and have an open mind. It appears that your "know it all "big wildlife expert huntsman" is neither of these, even though I imagine he claims to be.
Exactly, he claims to be alot of what he is not. No offense to men in general, but he is the most male chauvinist knows it all I have ever met, treats his wife with little to no respect... came into this land through her family, and it is just a shame that his "knowledge" is not at all based in actual practicality. I am all for managing things to benefit both wildlife, and the ag sector. Grew up in a family of hunters, and came into what I do know and it is far from "extensive", in the ag world by doing, learning, and LISTENING to other farmers, seminars, reading,....

I know when things are being overgrazed, I know when feeding the soil with constant replacement of organic matter will do the most good and that rotational moving of animals often promotes the best benefits....
We are overrun with deer in this area... the does are way too plentiful, and the past 2 more mild winters have produced crops of fawns that has only added to the over population... I have seen 2 does with TRIPLETS trying to all suck at once... NOT COMMON in whitetails. If we have a harder winter, as is being called for this year, there will be more problems with the deer and then some dying from starvation... Less is better... deer, cattle grazing rather than eating the pastures into the dirt....
I don't have all the book learning or degrees you do and I am sure there are MANY things that you know that I do not... but after 20 years of seeing the increase in turkeys, the healthy foxes that are actually increasing here means there is enough game... the coyotes and their constant threats and depredation to the sheep, the huge deer numbers and now we are having a rather fast increase in black bears... tells me that things are going to reach a point where the balance is going to start to get out of whack.... and the other STUPID people that think that the bears coming into their yards and eating out of their bird feeders is "so neat".... is enough to make you want to scream...
One farm about an hour south has had such black bear damage in their fields this year that even the wildlife office has gotten into the act with them... besides the damage permits... in the last 2 weeks they have killed 9 bear... and when 2 were shot in a corn field they are destroying... 3 more came out while the guys were there gutting and retrieving the 2... they actually were concerned with the actions the bear exhibited... the farmers have been told to not go to that field alone.... come on... these are black bear that are supposed to pretty much mind their own business...

But getting back to this one place.... he wants the benefits of the ag exemption on the taxes and all... and because we still make hay we sign it... but we have lost a valuable place to winter cattle, he has lost a valuable "tool" in managing the farm to keep the increased improvement in the land... and I hope it comes back to bite him with all his "knowledge".... there is more to big "trophy racks" in deer hunting than just putting in some "food plots" for the deer.
You kinda get tired of dealing with all these ones that "know" how to do things but don't do any of the actual "doing it" themselves....and won't listen to the ones that have actually shown where things are better than when they started doing things....

LOL... I've had people tell me there is no such field as "Animal Science". It's a little dismaying that these people have access to such a broad platform as the internet to spew nonsense...

SO.... Sorry @devonian .... I really took your thread off on a tangent...
Love the high hedges that line the road but that must be a real interesting time for pulling out of an opening/driveway. Unless these roads are not frequently traveled and hopefully not by people in a rush !!!!
Yes, I sort of see the sheep and dogs picture in my mind more than the cows... but the pictures are nice.

Ken
That is really interesting....

SO.... Sorry @devonian .... I really took your thread off on a tangent...
Love the high hedges that line the road but that must be a real interesting time for pulling out of an opening/driveway. Unless these roads are not frequently traveled and hopefully not by people in a rush !!!!
Yes, I sort of see the sheep and dogs picture in my mind more than the cows... but the pictures are nice.
No worries sounds a bit like you are talking about my cousin lol. The roads are a bit busier nowadays due to an increase in commuters living in the local villages, an increase in parcel delivery vans etc.. those hedges have to be trimmed yearly... by..muggins here.. remember what I said about the roads.. but accidents are surprisingly rare thankfully

Exactly, he claims to be alot of what he is not. No offense to men in general, but he is the most male chauvinist knows it all I have ever met, treats his wife with little to no respect... came into this land through her family, and it is just a shame that his "knowledge" is not at all based in actual practicality. I am all for managing things to benefit both wildlife, and the ag sector. Grew up in a family of hunters, and came into what I do know and it is far from "extensive", in the ag world by doing, learning, and LISTENING to other farmers, seminars, reading,....

I know when things are being overgrazed, I know when feeding the soil with constant replacement of organic matter will do the most good and that rotational moving of animals often promotes the best benefits....
We are overrun with deer in this area... the does are way too plentiful, and the past 2 more mild winters have produced crops of fawns that has only added to the over population... I have seen 2 does with TRIPLETS trying to all suck at once... NOT COMMON in whitetails. If we have a harder winter, as is being called for this year, there will be more problems with the deer and then some dying from starvation... Less is better... deer, cattle grazing rather than eating the pastures into the dirt....
I don't have all the book learning or degrees you do and I am sure there are MANY things that you know that I do not... but after 20 years of seeing the increase in turkeys, the healthy foxes that are actually increasing here means there is enough game... the coyotes and their constant threats and depredation to the sheep, the huge deer numbers and now we are having a rather fast increase in black bears... tells me that things are going to reach a point where the balance is going to start to get out of whack.... and the other STUPID people that think that the bears coming into their yards and eating out of their bird feeders is "so neat".... is enough to make you want to scream...
One farm about an hour south has had such black bear damage in their fields this year that even the wildlife office has gotten into the act with them... besides the damage permits... in the last 2 weeks they have killed 9 bear... and when 2 were shot in a corn field they are destroying... 3 more came out while the guys were there gutting and retrieving the 2... they actually were concerned with the actions the bear exhibited... the farmers have been told to not go to that field alone.... come on... these are black bear that are supposed to pretty much mind their own business...

But getting back to this one place.... he wants the benefits of the ag exemption on the taxes and all... and because we still make hay we sign it... but we have lost a valuable place to winter cattle, he has lost a valuable "tool" in managing the farm to keep the increased improvement in the land... and I hope it comes back to bite him with all his "knowledge".... there is more to big "trophy racks" in deer hunting than just putting in some "food plots" for the deer.
You kinda get tired of dealing with all these ones that "know" how to do things but don't do any of the actual "doing it" themselves....and won't listen to the ones that have actually shown where things are better than when they started doing things....
White tails have been having triplets with some degree of regularity for the past 30 years. However, this year I have seen more triplets than twins. Please, someone, bring on the coyotes! Well, maybe not, but something! Hard winter maybe?

The thing is, a LITTLE bit of knowledge is a , not dangerous, VERY DANGEROUS thing. I see it on here and in what I do every day. Regardless of my knowledge base, or what someone else's knowledge base is, I will almost ALWAYS listen to what they have to say. I very, very rarely dismiss it without giving it a 2nd thought. The ONLY time I will ever do that is when I have dismissed the other's comment after evaluating prior comments and coming to the conclusion they do not know what they are talking about and they refuse to consider anything else, which probably fits this 'Great White Hunter' to a T.

It will, and probably already is, coming back to bite him. He won't have any trophy bucks because there are too many of them and none of them can get adaquate nutrition. Next thing you know you will have an epidemic of blue tongue or chronic wasting disease that kills 85-90% of the population and makes the whole countryside smell like a rotting corpse. I've experienced this, it's not fun. That or mass starvation from a hard winter.

Latest posts