Alabama Livestock Auction over to Uniontown if you're around on sale day

Texas:
Caddo Mounds
Mission Tejas
Dana Peaks
The Alamo
Any of the safari parks
Any of the battle parks
The Stockyards at Fort Worth (might not be your scene)

Just some suggestions. Have you been to the Bass Pro Mecca in Memphis?
Is Memphis bigger than the original in Springfield MO? Been there a couple times, as well as to both Springfield and Sikeston Lambert's. Around here, going to the big machinery yards/auctions and Lambert's in Sikeston is a rite of passage if you farm.

Oh yeah, forgot Boomland if you're in Southern MO. It's a fireworks Mecca. What self respecting country boy ain't chanced a hand or at least a few fingers playing with M-80's?

I do look for stockyards along my route and have stopped at several.
The one in Oklahoma City is worth stopping by, and the little shops nearby. Cattleman's Steakhouse is in amongst them and worth eating at.

Wife and I would like to visit Texas in the near future. Everyone says to visit the Ft Worth stockyards, but it doesn't sound like my cup of tea from what I hear. I've been to the one in Paris, TX and enjoyed it.

There's one on the south side of I-70 about an hour or so into Missouri that I've been to, really nice barn. Also randomly wound up at a barn around Springfield, MO when they were having a horse sale one night. Every plug horse that came through the ring was a "Foxtrotter"! 😆

Transgender?... ahead of your time.... congratulations? oh well at least brave to admit. :) LOL
Not really... at all. The cathouse in Ely was filthy and worn, like old tennis shoes held together with duct tape. Not an inspiring place at all, especially for any kind of "romantic" encounter. No girls in evidence. So I wasn't expecting much. But when one showed up she was gorgeous. Slinky evil that made Mortisha Adams look like a mud fence. Vampire pale, red lips, and black hair down to her waist. And an attitude to match. And the next girl to show up was the exact opposite. Golden light surrounded her. When she smiled the room glowed and you almost expected daffodils to sprout from the floor. And legs... all the way up to there. The guys I'd made the road trip with were too scared to walk through the door, waiting outside. They were honking the horn, three short and one much too long... so I picked my tongue up off the floor and fled. Something I will never forget.

I am by the Memphis Bass Pro several times a year but have never stopped. Actually never been inside a Bass Pro. Figure i would go broke if i did. Lol
We've stopped in at the Memphis Bass Pro a couple of times. It's something to see. The last time didn't buy anything. There's a glassed in elevator in the middle that goes to the top of the pyramid with a view of all around and they got a restaurant up there too.
There's also a metal arts museum in Memphis we stopped at once, but it's not what I was expecting and wouldn't recommend it.
My wife likes to stop at arboretums, generally not my thing but ok to walk around and get out of the vehicle for a while.
Near Hazard, KY, there is Buckhorn Lake State Park, that might be a good place to eat at the restaurant at the lodge. Might be a little hard to navigate with a long trailer though, but I reckon they get boat trailers and supply trailers down there.
They had the best caramel pie outside of what my mother made from an old mountain recipe.

Is Memphis bigger than the original in Springfield MO? Been there a couple times, as well as to both Springfield and Sikeston Lambert's. Around here, going to the big machinery yards/auctions and Lambert's in Sikeston is a rite of passage if you farm.
From what I've read the one in Memphis is the biggest.

We've stopped in at the Memphis Bass Pro a couple of times. It's something to see. The last time didn't buy anything. There's a glassed in elevator in the middle that goes to the top of the pyramid with a view of all around and they got a restaurant up there too.
There's also a metal arts museum in Memphis we stopped at once, but it's not what I was expecting and wouldn't recommend it.
My wife likes to stop at arboretums, generally not my thing but ok to walk around and get out of the vehicle for a while.
Near Hazard, KY, there is Buckhorn Lake State Park, that might be a good place to eat at the restaurant at the lodge. Might be a little hard to navigate with a long trailer though, but I reckon they get boat trailers and supply trailers down there.
They had the best caramel pie outside of what my mother made from an old mountain recipe.
Im by Hazard often. Will check it out.

I have been to several Bass Pro Shops and the other store Cabelas, which BPS now owns.
Yes Kenny, you WILL spend $$$ there. My son is an avid angler (mostly large mouth bass) and buys all his stuff there. You can easily waste lots more than an hour and more than your budget allows there.

I try to avoid it. The BPS store in Memphis is inside the old Pyramid sports arena that the city and county couldn't keep open or find anything else to do with. (In it's heyday, it was called The Tomb of Doom!)
I haven't been in it since their Univ of Memphis Tiger basketball teams played there and most likely never will again.

Small short term visit places I would like to visit....
Most involve eating.

Cele Store in Manor Tx (where the fight scene was filmed in Second Hand Lions) Not much to look at, but Supposed to have great BBQ and smoked brisket.

All/any of the Lockhart Tx BBQ joints. Probably have become too yuppie now compared to 10-15 years ago. Hopefully, the food is still good.
Greek Bros restaurant in El Campo Texas on Wed night. A GREAT ribeye and pretty good CFS. (don't order the large unless you've been fasting for 7 days) (Otherwise, not much to see in El Campo)

Recommended:
San Jacinto monument. You can do it in an hour easy, but 1 hr is way to short to visit USS Lexington in Corpus.
The Alamo of course, but do understand it is right in the middle of big busy downtown San Antonio and looks out of place compared to what one sees in the movies.
Bertram and Burnet Tx just because they are neat little towns. Good places to eat (mostly) and see some old stores.
Drive down into Palo Duro Canyon.
Goliad Tx and it's mission and Presidio La Bahia. & do make the very short drive over to Fannin Battleground State park. A place of solitude and somber reflection where the battle that eventually claimed over 300 lives took place. La Bahia is the most fought over piece of real estate in Texas. I can't adequately put into words what a visit to Fannin and La Bahia can do for you.
Fort Concho and downtown San Angelo. An almost completely (90%+) restored frontier fort. The US 4th and 10th Cavalries were stationed there along with the 25th infantry regiment in the late 1800s. The 10th were "buffalo soldiers". Downtown San Angelo has a restored brothel, from the arly 20th century known as Miss Hatties bordello, tho there is scant evidence anyone named "Miss Hattie" ever really had anything todo with it.

The Mounted Warrior Museum, Ft Hood Killeen Tx. (Yes, I know the woke people changed the name last week but it will always be Ft Hood to most folks around here)
It combines 1st Cavalry Division Museum and the 3rd Cavalry Regiment Museum into one facility. I have been to each but not to the combined museum.

Don & Jane's place on Bluebird Tr in Copperas Cove Tx. Any CT people are welcome for an hour or more. Coffee is on all the time and tho I no longer drink, I do keep a few bottles of whiskey around for those that do.

Avoid!!!
Trade Days in Canton Tx.
Anything in downtown Jefferson Texas. The syrup mill festival may be the only exception.
The Eiffel Tower in Paris Texas. You will probably be disappointed. (DO lock your car, DO carry, and keep one hand on your wallet and the other on your holster.)

I have been to several Bass Pro Shops and the other store Cabelas, which BPS now owns.
Yes Kenny, you WILL spend $$$ there. My son is an avid angler (mostly large mouth bass) and buys all his stuff there. You can easily waste lots more than an hour and more than your budget allows there.

I try to avoid it. The BPS store in Memphis is inside the old Pyramid sports arena that the city and county couldn't keep open or find anything else to do with. (In it's heyday, it was called The Tomb of Doom!)
I haven't been in it since their Univ of Memphis Tiger basketball teams played there and most likely never will again.

Small short term visit places I would like to visit....
Most involve eating.

Cele Store in Manor Tx (where the fight scene was filmed in Second Hand Lions) Not much to look at, but Supposed to have great BBQ and smoked brisket.

All/any of the Lockhart Tx BBQ joints. Probably have become too yuppie now compared to 10-15 years ago. Hopefully, the food is still good.
Greek Bros restaurant in El Campo Texas on Wed night. A GREAT ribeye and pretty good CFS. (don't order the large unless you've been fasting for 7 days) (Otherwise, not much to see in El Campo)

Recommended:
San Jacinto monument. You can do it in an hour easy, but 1 hr is way to short to visit USS Lexington in Corpus.
The Alamo of course, but do understand it is right in the middle of big busy downtown San Antonio and looks out of place compared to what one sees in the movies.
Bertram and Burnet Tx just because they are neat little towns. Good places to eat (mostly) and see some old stores.
Drive down into Palo Duro Canyon.
Goliad Tx and it's mission and Presidio La Bahia. & do make the very short drive over to Fannin Battleground State park. A place of solitude and somber reflection where the battle that eventually claimed over 300 lives took place. La Bahia is the most fought over piece of real estate in Texas. I can't adequately put into words what a visit to Fannin and La Bahia can do for you.
Fort Concho and downtown San Angelo. An almost completely (90%+) restored frontier fort. The US 4th and 10th Cavalries were stationed there along with the 25th infantry regiment in the late 1800s. The 10th were "buffalo soldiers". Downtown San Angelo has a restored brothel, from the arly 20th century known as Miss Hatties bordello, tho there is scant evidence anyone named "Miss Hattie" ever really had anything todo with it.

The Mounted Warrior Museum, Ft Hood Killeen Tx. (Yes, I know the woke people changed the name last week but it will always be Ft Hood to most folks around here)
It combines 1st Cavalry Division Museum and the 3rd Cavalry Regiment Museum into one facility. I have been to each but not to the combined museum.

Don & Jane's place on Bluebird Tr in Copperas Cove Tx. Any CT people are welcome for an hour or more. Coffee is on all the time and tho I no longer drink, I do keep a few bottles of whiskey around for those that do.

Avoid!!!
Trade Days in Canton Tx.
Anything in downtown Jefferson Texas. The syrup mill festival may be the only exception.
The Eiffel Tower in Paris Texas. You will probably be disappointed. (DO lock your car, DO carry, and keep one hand on your wallet and the other on your holster.)
Thats a lot to see. Lol
Have been to the park at the north end of Palo Duro Canyon and also worked on a fire at the south end. Probably 75 miles apart.
I have been told that the Canyon was the last holdout for the Native American tribe of that area. I ask why the Army bothered them because they would stave to death there anyway.

There was a cat house in Ely that was surprisingly interesting on a college road trip many years ago. I wasn't interested in what they sold, but the tour revealed some surprising sights.
HaHa been there, in 1990 there was like 3 real close together in Ely, Big 4, Green Door I think, and I can't remember the 3ed one.
Any way it was Xmas eve, and the only girl on duty weighted more than me, by a lot, I went back to the motel

Thats a lot to see. Lol
Have been to the park at the north end of Palo Duro Canyon and also worked on a fire at the south end. Probably 75 miles apart.
I have been told that the Canyon was the last holdout for the Native American tribe of that area. I ask why the Army bothered them because they would stave to death there anyway.
Comanches. It was their biggest stronghold and at one time game was no issue there, and they kept captured livestock in there as well. The army made the final push on them there mostly because that's where they were, though the Comanches when together for raiding commanded a huge portion of Texas with that as their ops center.

Kind of a running theme for us is places to eat when traveling. If you're ever around Sallisaw Oklahoma just off if I-40 Wild Horse Mountain BBQ is a good place to eat.
If you're in Owensboro, KY, there's two Barbeque places that are real good. Old Hickory Barbeque is my pick of anywhere to eat. Their meats are all good, but the sliced pork is probably my favorite. That area is known for BBQ mutton too, which they do a good job with too. The Moonlite is another good BBQ restaurant there that has a huge buffet as well. It is the more touristy place that gets the most attention but I give Old Hickory BBQ the credit for being a little bit better as far as the actual BBQ.

In Bama if you're not pulling:
Mt. Cheaha
Buck's Pocket
Walls of Jericho
Vulcan
De Soto Caverns
Kymulga Grist Mill
Ave Maria Grotto
Pioneer Museum
American Village
Combat Park (you can drive a tank)

If you are pulling or either:
Dixie General Store
The mounds over by Moundville
Alabama Livestock Auction over to Uniontown if you're around on sale day

Texas:
Caddo Mounds
Mission Tejas
Dana Peaks
The Alamo
Any of the safari parks
Any of the battle parks
The Stockyards at Fort Worth (might not be your scene)

Just some suggestions. Have you been to the Bass Pro Mecca in Memphis?
My maternal grandfather and family was from Bucks pocket area..we use too ride horses to the Walls and camp about every year.. had a good time up there on a dirt bike..got dusty and muddy jumped in Hurricane creek,and snake started bumping me might as well been a moccasi..cause I was walking on top

Last edited:
Kind of a running theme for us is places to eat when traveling.
If you're ever around Sallisaw Oklahoma just off if I-40 Wild Horse Mountain BBQ is a good place to eat.
If you're in Owensboro, KY, there's two Barbeque places that are real good. Old Hickory Barbeque is my pick of anywhere to eat.
There you go Kenny. (I love BBQ and would love to sample in different states, but never get around enough to do it.)
I don't know how you feel about BBQ, but I think cattle forum should appoint you our traveling food critic, posting photos
and comments in what are you eating today section.... I'm pretty sure Cattle Today would happily reimburse you for meals. :)
I think you should get some Beef Checkoff advertising $$ too for any posted meal review that includes beef.

Last edited:
There you go Kenny. (I love BBQ and would love to sample in different states, but never get around enough to do it.)
I don't know how you feel about BBQ, but I think cattle forum should appoint you our traveling food critic, posting photos
and comments in what are you eating today section.... I'm pretty sure Cattle Today would happily reimburse you for meals. :)
I think you should get some Beef Checkoff advertising $$ too for any posted meal review that includes beef.
Barbecue doesn't exist in Yankee land.

If I could direct my checkoff dollars to Kenny for that I'd be up for it. A post here and there getting a plug in for beef is more credible than what the checkoff is not doing now.

What's your definition of barbecue?
Dickey's Barbeque Pit 457 locations
Famous Dave's - 203 locations
Do they not serve BBQ?
IF not, how does it differ that makes it not bbq North of the Mason-Dixon line?
I like bbq but not crazy for the Carolina style with vinegar.
The dry rubs i have had in Texas is hard to beat. And of course Buc-ees.

What's your definition of barbecue?
Dickey's Barbeque Pit 457 locations
Famous Dave's - 203 locations
Do they not serve BBQ?
IF not, how does it differ that makes it not bbq North of the Mason-Dixon line?
First of all, chain barbecue is generally a fascimile of the real thing. An imperfect replication good enough to produce turd, good for entertaining families at best. All good and real barbecue comes from states that are southern or southern-adjacent. It's about the local variations, the hundreds of years of traditions, the family recipes, the hyper abundance of experimentation and things available to do it with, it's very deeply engrained. One of the most revered pit bosses in Texas is a little shriveled old lady. Invite her to Dickey's and you might end up in the pit.

First of all, chain barbecue is generally a fascimile of the real thing. An imperfect replication good enough to produce turd, good for entertaining families at best. All good and real barbecue comes from states that are southern or southern-adjacent. It's about the local variations, the hundreds of years of traditions, the family recipes, the hyper abundance of experimentation and things available to do it with, it's very deeply engrained. One of the most revered pit bosses in Texas is a little shriveled old lady. Invite her to Dickey's and you might end up in the pit.
Barbeque snobs are the same as wine snobs... or any other snobs that want to sound special because they think they can be special by putting other people down.

Life is about cultivating enjoyment and those that limit their tastes rather than broaden them are poorer for it.