Time to put out the signs OR

Help Support CattleToday:

Limomike

Reaction score
While checking my fences on my 80 acre hay pasture (which I am not finished haying yet) I found the top 3 barbed wires of my fence had been cut from the north corner post to the next T-post. The last two wires had been stomped to the ground, and the top 3 wires were no where to be found. Not sure what is going on there, this is the first time this had happened to me in 20+ years down there.
I have never used "no trespassing" signs, nor the purple paint, but I think its time to do so. Might even put a good wildlife camera down there to see who is messing around where they shouldnt be.
Nothing else was bothered ( one of my deer stands close by was not bothered) but makes me kinda leery ...
Do you guys have signs posted or cameras ? I know it wont keep out the ones who really wanna come on in.. but could at least be a deterrent.

You have to post in IL or you can be held liable for someone that gets hurt on your land, even if they are trespassing.
$2 sign is cheap insurance.

Signs every 100 ft, one each side of any gate. We've had orobls with kids cutting out fences to go fishing on a lake. We were even fixing the fence when they pulled up and started getting their fishing rods out. That lit me up like a firecracker. Especially since they had to trespass just to get to that part of the fence we were fixing

Hook":1ig908a7 said:
Signs every 100 ft, one each side of any gate. We've had orobls with kids cutting out fences to go fishing on a lake. We were even fixing the fence when they pulled up and started getting their fishing rods out. That lit me up like a firecracker. Especially since they had to trespass just to get to that part of the fence we were fixing

I expect that would rile me up as well Hook. People these days!

Every corner of the property facing a road and all gates are posted. Problem here is hunters. Someone shot and left a beautiful buck to rot last fall during the season. I had the wardens in and they brought in the canine unit, but couldn't find the bullet. They are going to set up a decoy trap this fall in the same area. I hate road hunters/trespassers.

Camera's are your best bet. Whatever you do don't try and catch them. If they get hurt while you're chasing them you'll be in trouble.

Camera will get you a picture if they don't steal the camera but usually the picture isn't good or clear enough to identify and when it is no one recognizes the trespasser

sim.-ang.king":j32dckh1 said:
You have to post in IL or you can be held liable for someone that gets hurt on your land, even if they are trespassing.
$2 sign is cheap insurance.

Same here and I post every 50 yards with a sign I typically replace all posted signs every 4 years or when they fade or get messed up.

This sign speaks for itself - Hook you may want 1
IMG_20140527_195700_493_zpsa1d42f47.jpg

Hook":odxra2pd said:
I just signed a paper with the Sherrif for automatic arrest of anyone trespassingb no warnings what so ever.

That works too. People don't respect peoples property whatsoever

LauraleesFarm":3q4u3ko0 said:
We have 6 TSCRA signs in various locations, plus purple paint on the tops of the T posts. All gates have locks.

Yep even the meth heads know you don't mess with a place that has a TSCRA sign

Kind of a dumb question, but are you sure someone cut it and it was not deer damage? Seems strange they would cut the top three and not the rest.

Maybe they just cut enough so they could step over?

I solved that problem by putting up electric wire gates for trespassers. Doesn't keep them out but it keeps them from cutting or climbing over fences.

hillbilly beef man":gqf1c69p said:
Kind of a dumb question, but are you sure someone cut it and it was not deer damage? Seems strange they would cut the top three and not the rest.

yep.. i know it was cut, on both ends and the top three wires. bottom two were trampled to the ground. deer do not do that.

Latest posts