Glyphosate or not?

Help Support CattleToday:

okj5ranchgirl

Reaction score
Need opinions please to settle a dispute. I have a friend who insists on spot spraying weeds with glyphosate and ends up killing approximately 100 square feet of Bermuda to kill 25 weeds…. I don't get it? I insist on bush hogging or broad leaf weed killers if plants are young and save the glyphosate for fence rows etc…
Thanks in advance

I don't use glyphosate unless i am trying to kill everything. I also don't use it on fence rows because typically you get bare dirt that either erodes (hills here) or weeds just grow up there all the time anyway.

On the fence rows i use a broadleaf and just let the grass smother anything out. Places I want to look nice I just mow close or use the trimmer. Come to think of it, I only use glyphosate on food plots for deer and I haven't been doing that lately either.

Depends on what the weeds are. Generally use the lowest cost or lowest impact herbicide that will kill the weeds you have. That is often 2,4-d or weedmaster for a lot of broadleaf weeds. But if you have a few patches of johnson grass or nut grass in a bermuda hay field, glyphosate may be the best choice for a herbicide that will kill invasive noxious weeds before they overtake the field. 100 sf of bermuda will come back from the roots pretty quick. Bush hogging is generally an expensive weed control with limited results.

I think it's silly to use glyphosate that way. I think a hoe would be a logical approach. That stuff is terrible for Humans anyways.

By the time he's hooked up, filled up, and gotten to it, I'd already have them chopped. Maybe he's always ready to spray something. LOL. I know many that are like that.

I walk the fields with a hoe or machete most of the time anyways. Some days I take a set of loppers.

The electric company outsourced a team to walk up and Down the roads and spray everything under the wires....
I heard some comotion in the front pasture and walked up the driveway to the street to see what's going on. A guy walking parallel to my drive walking under the wires coming towards me. So I ask him why he is on my property and he cant reply in english. He continued to spray and I start yelling at him to get off my property an he turns to leave and does it again. What The F just happened. That was the spring of '22. The ground is still bare, well a couple weeds here and there. There is a dead path through my trees all the way to my pond where it ran down hill after it rained. Over a year now. Had to cut dead trees up to 70 feet away from the lines, nothing growing as of yet...
To be fair, I'm not sure what he sprayed. But it sure was toxic.
I will never use any it!

I spot sprayed glyphosate yesterday on clump grass/love grass as its the only this that will kill it. I'll probably have to hit it again in a week. Any bermuda that gets hit always seems to recover.

Well I got lazy this year and decided to spray some glyphosate around in the yard (2 1/2 acres) and cut down on a little weed whacking. I swear that glyphosate has brier and poke stalk seed in it. I have a nice stand of weeds around everything. That is what I get for being lazy. My neighbor about 10 years ago sprayed a line fence with the kind that kills everything for a year. I already had it all killed but the grass with Remedy. I have fought weeds ever since. I am one of the "NOT" guys.

Need opinions please to settle a dispute. I have a friend who insists on spot spraying weeds with glyphosate and ends up killing approximately 100 square feet of Bermuda to kill 25 weeds…. I don't get it? I insist on bush hogging or broad leaf weed killers if plants are young and save the glyphosate for fence rows etc…
Thanks in advance

For patures, most plants are beneficial and are very nutritious for cattle. If you don't have at least 7 to 20 different plants in a pasture you're depriving your cattle from being able to balance their diet.
We use Milestone to spot spray for thistle and iron weed, although cattle like and benefit from thistle when it is small and tender, but the blooms should be mowed off before it turns to seed. Milestone kills thistle rhizome. Milestone is harmless to wildlife and cattle can eat it however their manure will then kill broadleaf plants for a day or two.
Glyphosate and 2,4D are dangerous and should be avoided for your sake and the cattle's sake. Being an old Vietnam vet, I know about 2,4D and 2,4,5T which is what made up Agent Orange (with some dioxin left in it). They work by breaking chromosomes in DNA!

I sure wouldn't spray it near anything good that spreads by stolen/runner. You spray it in a narrow path next to a fence or driveway or other concrete apron and it kills everything big enough to die for 3-4 feet back and either side from the spray target. And, the glyco 365 has pre-emergent in it and where you and the spray wand go, nothing grows.

As for 2,4d, I've used LOTS of it and will continue to do so tho my go-to solution for woody and other broadleaf crap even here in suburbanland is still triclopyr.

Thanks in advance
Yes if broadleaf weeds are the target you shouldn't be using Roundup.
I spray 90 acres of coastal with Roundup every winter to control ryegrass and twg. But that's a different kinda deal. I will spot spray foxtail and kr with Roundup.
As mentioned above the coastal shrugs it off pretty good.

I have a friend who insists on spot spraying weeds with glyphosate and ends up killing approximately 100 square feet of Bermuda to kill 25 weeds…. I don't get it? I insist on bush hogging or broad leaf weed killers if plants are young and save the glyphosate for fence rows etc…
There's always been a discussion regarding just how much good comes from mowing.
People talk about how Glyco kills good things along with the undesirable species but if there is any entity that is 100% indiscriminate, it's a mower blade.

Mowing looks good of course, but the good palatable part of a grass is the new growth at top, which is what the mower whacks off. I've never been much on mowing down good forage, or even palatable weeds in dry years. NOT saying I've never done it tho.
(I wore out 2 bush hogs before I realized I was just encouraging much of that stuff to follow the old "Kill one of us, 5 will come to it's funeral" thing and instead of a single sapling, a cluster or 5 or more grows from it's littl stump.
Learn you target(s)! and use the appropriate spray that kills (in most cases only controls...there's a difference) your target species and leaves the good stuff alone.

mow_005_(Small).jpg

There's always been a discussion regarding just how much good comes from mowing.
People talk about how Glyco kills good things along with the undesirable species but if there is any entity that is 100% indiscriminate, it's a mower blade.

Mowing looks good of course, but the good palatable part of a grass is the new growth at top, which is what the mower whacks off. I've never been much on mowing down good forage, or even palatable weeds in dry years. NOT saying I've never done it tho.
(I wore out 2 bush hogs before I realized I was just encouraging much of that stuff to follow the old "Kill one of us, 5 will come to it's funeral" thing and instead of a single sapling, a cluster or 5 or more grows from it's littl stump.
Learn you target(s)! and use the appropriate spray that kills (in most cases only controls...there's a difference) your target species and leaves the good stuff alone.

View attachment 34039
I mostly agree.
I manage several hayfields and pastures For a living. I don't own a batwing. Ive got a small shredder and a skid steer brush mower for brush cleanup but For the most part I consider mowing a waste of time and resources.
Herbicide is far more efficient as long as you use the right chemicals at the right time. Not just squirt about with what they had on the shelf at the TSC.

Most of the stuff in that picture is wooley croton or fennel. Almost anything will kill it if sprayed young. Note the date on the photo...Oct 2010. The 2011 drought had just begun but the weeds were still plenty green. And that's the other thing..spray at the right time. Lots easier to get a good kill on young plants than older ones.

Thanks in advance
I was told by a very very smart Doctor with a PhD in horticulture that glyphosate would burn down Bermuda but not kill it. I tried it and you know what? He was right.

I was told by a very very smart Doctor with a PhD in horticulture that glyphosate would burn down Bermuda but not kill it. I tried it and you know what? He was right.
IF, the Bermuda is well established and a new plot of seeded in bermuda is not the easiest forage to get established anyway. IOW, Don't try spraying roundup on bermuda (or other grasses) that haven't had time or moisture enough to develop a good root system.

Latest posts