Marshall or Gulf annual ?

Help Support CattleToday:

coon hunter

Reaction score
I will be Broad casting some Rye Grass . Whats the best Seed for grazing pasture Marshall at 43$ for 50LB or Gulf Annual at 36$ for 50 Lb? All that I've ever used was Gulf Annual but I'm willing to change if the Marshall does better for the Money .

I buy either from Dekalb Co op in Rainsville or Jackson co op in Scottsboro. I have bought from Murphy Seed out on lookout . He's close to Dogtown .

Need to put it on your id so we know where you are . Usually helps in answering questions. I have no experience with gulf rye . We plant 40-50 acres for hay not grazing. If you can cut it at the right stage it's mighty good hay !

Need to put it on your id so we know where you are . Usually helps in answering questions. I have no experience with gulf rye . We plant 40-50 acres for hay not grazing. If you can cut it at the right stage it's mighty good hay !
Interesting. I've never tried to hay rye grass. At what stage do you cut it?

I just purchased a 30 acre Bahia grass hay meadow. I wonder if I can overseed it with rye grass and get a cutting in the spring before the Bahia starts to come back? I'm in Southeast Texas near Wharton, so probably a similar climate to you.

We try to cut it with the seed heads still green , if the weather/ rain puts you late it gets pretty stemmy like wheat straw . I would say yes on overseeding. Have a friend that is in the hay business. He plants triticale and adds crabgrass seed . His first cutting is the triticale and he may get 2 cuttings from the crabgrass.

I will be Broad casting some Rye Grass . Whats the best Seed for grazing pasture Marshall at 43$ for 50LB or Gulf Annual at 36$ for 50 Lb? All that I've ever used was Gulf Annual but I'm willing to change if the Marshall does better for the Money .
Well, for the money, Gulf.
Decade and a half ago, I planted one of the "better" varieties. (Don't remember which). Never could distinguish any difference. Gulf moved in during the 70's road construction. Fought it during row crop days. Embraced it after.

Getting rid of gulf is like trying to get rid of Bahaia. Might as well work with it. All I need to do is fertilize a little if I want to graze. Again in late February if I want hay.

Only time I "plant" ryegrass is when I use it as a carrier for clover or Bermuda.

Interesting. I've never tried to hay rye grass. At what stage do you cut it?

I just purchased a 30 acre Bahia grass hay meadow. I wonder if I can overseed it with rye grass and get a cutting in the spring before the Bahia starts to come back? I'm in Southeast Texas near Wharton, so probably a similar climate to you.
Depending on the weather, rye can be in your hay fields until almost June when the temps get up enough kill it. It can be in competition with your other grasses kicking off in the spring.