Getting Annual Summer Pastures Planted

Help Support CattleToday:

This is a photo of the 60 heifers going back onto my personal mix.

IMG_2746-XL.png

Beautiful pastures. Without rain though, what can you do? Put seed in and pray I guess
Yep, without even a little rain to get these summer annual started there isn't much you can do. I wish I could send some of this rain to other parts of the country we are still getting.

Looks great. I'd have a really hard time not cutting and wrapping that though

@LocustDaleCattleCompany will you send these calves straight to sale after done grazing the cover crops? I have heard there can be major shrink issues after grazing cover crops.
I've never heard that before but could see how that could happen. I'm going to start giving them a tiny bit of grain daily this week to get them used to coming into the catch. These calves will be sold in a few week at a local sale with take in on the 11th of August.

What's your regraze time? I've rotated cows through three pastures. The prime thing growing now is SS and the earliest which has been resting about 3 weeks is up about 18 inches.

Hijacking this thread again to show a picture of grazing 26 day regrowth. There are a few cow peas underneath but its mainly Sudan sorgum. On the left is residual, which we just took them off. Its all going to get sprayed and disked in two weeks.
They did a nice job on the left hand side for sure! Nice photo showing the before and after!

Hijacking this thread again to show a picture of grazing 26 day regrowth. There are a few cow peas underneath but its mainly Sudan sorgum. On the left is residual, which we just took them off. Its all going to get sprayed and disked in two weeks.
Why disk? Have you ever tried no till?

I've done a burn down and drill and had some spotty results. Local opinions were plant residue preventing disks from cutting and variable soil types resulting in variable seed depths.

I know this is an old thread...Assuming P and K are ok, how much N are you putting on these mixes? Just once pre-plant or something between grazings?

Watch some Gabe Brown videos and learn how to build super nutritious pastures. I've been using the techniques he explains for over 20 years and have super pastures with no chemical fertilizers needed any longer.

Watch some Gabe Brown videos and learn how to build super nutritious pastures. I've been using the techniques he explains for over 20 years and have super pastures with no chemical fertilizers needed any longer.
"Any longer" - you have to get to that point some way. And in the east the N is leaving the system if it's not tied up in OM, above or below the soil surface.

Latest posts