Summer cow chow

Help Support CattleToday:

Put in a little summer grazing yesterday! A mix of forage soybeans and Sorghum Sudan.
Anybody else ever done this?
Never together. I usually empty the grain drill in a dirt lot after I get done planting soybeans.
I have grazed, bales, and chopped sorghum sudan. It works well for all. Just remember under 14" it can be toxic to graze.

Put in a little summer grazing yesterday! A mix of forage soybeans and Sorghum Sudan.
Anybody else ever done this?
Thinking about doing some type of sudan/hybred. Wondered if it would play nice wirh existing red clover in the stand.

Can I ask how much the seed ran ya and how much you put down per acre? Any fertilizer use when you are planting to graze?

What type of S/S did you use?

Thinking about doing some type of sudan/hybred. Wondered if it would play nice wirh existing red clover in the stand.

Can I ask how much the seed ran ya and how much you put down per acre? Any fertilizer use when you are planting to graze?

What type of S/S did you use?
Seed was about $30/bag for both Soybeans an SS. I tried to shoot for #50 of each per acre. Hutcheson beans and Sweet Grazer SS. I plan on fertilizing at about 400#/acre of something like 19-19-19, but it's a small spot.

I inter seeded SS into my poor grass pasture last year, but didn't fertilize. It did ok but would have benefited from some fertilizer, IMO.