Late Summer Spraying

Help Support CattleToday:

Kthompson

Reaction score
In NE Texas we have a couple of 30-40 acre pastures that did not get sprayed after the first cut this season, nettle and a bit of johnson grass is popping up in what i hope will be a decent last cut in September (if we get rain)
It is too much to spot spray in the two i am talking about.
Considering putting Grazon Next HL on them but am undecided if worth it or just wait until after the first cut next year so thought I would ask this group for advice.

Also as a follow up question, another smaller 20 acre or so meadow has started to get quite a bit of crabgrass in my coastal bermuda pasture, i dont mind the crabgrass but the mixture is hard to get dried out at the same time for making hay, what would be the best way to eliminate the crabgrass ?

Thank you,
KT

Why do you want to kill those ? Both Johnson grass and crab grass make good grazing and hay . Just thinking out loud . Spot spray the nettle. Unless the crabgrass is crowding out the Bermuda I'd deal with it .

Last edited:
Your plants that you are trying to kill need to be actively growing for the herbicide to work properly. In this heat and with it this dry, they are not.

I sprayed a pasture in mid-June when it was hot but still still had good moisture in the soil. That was a mistake. I got about half the kill I normally do. For me, I usually try to have everything wrapped up spraying wise on June 1. Some folks spray in the fall. I have never had good results with that either.

Why do you want to kill those ? Both Johnson grass and crab grass make good grazing and hay . Just thinking out loud . Spot spray the nettle. Unless the crabgrass is crowding out the Bermuda I'd deal with it .
The crabgrass i desire to get rid of is steadily taking over two of my Bermuda pastures , I wouldn't mind it a bit if it was straight crabgrass .
Johnson Grass though its probably fine for the hay, I just have never liked it

Your plants that you are trying to kill need to be actively growing for the herbicide to work properly. In this heat and with it this dry, they are not.

I sprayed a pasture in mid-June when it was hot but still still had good moisture in the soil. That was a mistake. I got about half the kill I normally do. For me, I usually try to have everything wrapped up spraying wise on June 1. Some folks spray in the fall. I have never had good results with that either.
Thank you, that is pretty much what I was thinking but wanted some more experienced opinions too

Maybe you know this - the crabgrass is an annual, so what you see won't come back next year. I'd wait until spring, ask locally to find the right date, and put out a pre-emerge to control it if you don't want it there.

We don't have much Bermuda here, just a little of the short yard type, but plenty of crabgrass. I've got a 4 acre lot that's housed two horses and anywhere from three to five cows all summer on short crabgrass. I've had this years hay out but it's barely been touched. I've got a couple odd fall calvers and a 5 year old cull for butcher that are getting fat on it. One of the Breds is a heifer and I think she may be getting too fat. I'll take crabgrass any day.

My neighbors sprayed a couple weeks ago. Midst of a drought. They killed pretty much everything the cattle had been grazing on all summer. Now they're feeding hay.

Probably apples to oranges of your situation... just saying.
It's just burned. Not the best idea but it's not permanent.