Animals or cattle chewing through solar fencer wires

Help Support CattleToday:

devonian

Reaction score
Has anyone had any problems with this? Its about the third time its happened to me its not a major problem as wires can be fixed but its a bit of a pain in the a*** and this time whatever has chewed it has made off with the crocodile clip that goes onto the earth/ ground stake so that's a bit annoying.

Attachments

• IMG_20230512_182928055_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230512_182928055_HDR.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 15
Yes. I think it's more my calves than the cows. But I now make sure that I attempt to keep the connection out of reach (in another paddock or stretched taught/no slack).

I had been keeping the calves on the new Jersey nurse cow in the driveway part of the barn, didn't think about my electric de-horner hanging beside the head gate. Went out one day to work those calves and burn the horns on the Jersey heifer calf, well they had chewed the cord right into. She still got dehorned with a Barnes type a couple weeks later when the vet came out to pelvic measure some heifers.

Yeh calves are deadly on all insulated wires. I've lost extension leads other than the ones my wife mows over, wires from the electric fencer unit and other cords. They seem to know that once they get through the insulation there is copper wire to chew or suck on. Must have sweet taste to it. I know my daughter has had copper bits for horses as apparently they have a bit of a taste to them.
I think it is just a case of buyer beware. You just gotta keep those things out of reach of the children, I am to do that but still get caught out on occaisions. Maybe they have a copper deficiency, I should leave a bar of copper out for them to suck on.

Ken

Take a piece of slick wire and loop it around your fence wire. Then come across in front of the solar unit and loop it around the wire on the other side. Use the power of the fence to keep they away from it.

Gotta put the charger where the cattle can't get to it. Outside the perimeter fence, or if rotating, other side of the poly wire.
The charger has to connect to the fence and the wires on the thing are only so long and in my country we have hedges at the perimeters of all the fields so can't be putting the fencer far away from the fence and thats assuming its the cattle that are the culprits in the first place

Take a piece of slick wire and loop it around your fence wire. Then come across in front of the solar unit and loop it around the wire on the other side. Use the power of the fence to keep they away from it.
Fence around all sides of the solar fencer you mean? Nice idea, why didn't I think of that? Now I just got to find a new croc clip.

The charger has to connect to the fence and the wires on the thing are only so long and in my country we have hedges at the perimeters of all the fields so can't be putting the fencer far away from the fence and thats assuming its the cattle that are the culprits in the first place

Fence around all sides of the solar fencer you mean? Nice idea, why didn't I think of that? Now I just got to find a new croc clip.
00530599.jpg
Would make a better connection....

The old KISS method.

I have a friend who was dragging the pasture. Went in the house for lunch. Not a cow in sight. Came back out and again not a cow in sight. But every single plug wire from his 8n Ford was missing.
Earlier this year I went to move my old grey TE20 Fergie which usually starts very reliably even after sitting for a couple of years. I found the cause, all the low voltage wires to coil and coil to the distributor were just a chewed up ball of copper and plastic, they left the high tension wires though.

Ken

I have a friend who was dragging the pasture. Went in the house for lunch. Not a cow in sight. Came back out and again not a cow in sight. But every single plug wire from his 8n Ford was missing.
My cousin left a tractor out in the field where the cows were, and they licked all the wire off. I don't think he will make that mistake again. Luckily he was able get a new wiring harness for that old Heston.