No Till Beans or Corn into Sod ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Neighbors prefer to spray & kill sod in the Fall for Spring planting. Guess they usually no-till corn on sod ground. Then beans on the corn ground.

We routinely take a cutting of hay off then plant beans into the sod. Spray it after a little regrowth for better results killing the sod. Depending on how dry it is you may even need to wait for a rain to soften the ground a little. I've seen it so hard that a 16row planter with hd down pressure springs and full boxes would "float" on top the ground.

Corn Keep eye on soil temperature. Go asap at 55 or recommended temp. May not warm at same rate as tilled ground..
Good Luck. Please keep us posted.

We routinely take a cutting of hay off then plant beans into the sod. Spray it after a little regrowth for better results killing the sod. Depending on how dry it is you may even need to wait for a rain to soften the ground a little. I've seen it so hard that a 16row planter with hd down pressure springs and full boxes would "float" on top the ground.
The soil on my hay ground is really tight. I was concerned about getting about controlling seed depth, so beans seemed like a safer bet?

Reason for corn not beans?
Is ASAP to avoid it drying out?
Extra material in soil should be more advantageous to corn as it breaks down.
Actually the ASAP would depend a lot on length of maturity and/or how soon one can get in the field.
It rains on the just and the unjust. Do what works for you.

The soil on my hay ground is really tight. I was concerned about getting about controlling seed depth, so beans seemed like a safer bet?
To me it is. We have done corn also, but we usually plan on chopping that field so even emergence isn't as big an issue.
The higher soybean population vs corn also helps with emergence.

Latest posts