Corn stalk rolls?

Help Support CattleToday:

Fungicide usually makes the stalk much tougher.
Stand ability has also become a big deal. 300bu corn is great but if it's flat on the ground it doesn't do much good.
Fungicide helps immensely. But they have GMO'd this corn to stand better. Which is also why it doesn't break down like it did 40 years ago.

@kenny thomas , I would say yes to a point.... all according to how much they are consuming... here goes the debate on the protein tubs... BUT... we found that the tubs were more sensible for them to work on when we fed the stalks because we did not have other options like the fescue you have. And feeding "feed or grain" was just not practical there... the tubs gave them enough I guess because their condition improved and they looked and acted full..... If they are more in a "maintenance " condition, then I would see no reason that the 2 would not work together well. And if they don't eat alot of it, it will still break down into organic matter....but our cows liked them to a point of staying "full" and seemed content...
This is the right time to use protein tubs.

I agree, blown up bales suck...i don't know what kind of wrapping "brand" they're using..but's it's a confirmed 1.3 wraps on corn stalk. Two years ago there was 2.3 wraps, more net wrapping when the bales encroached, or were at 4x6' and were a lot more stalker. I think with smaller 4x5.5' rolls 200lbs lighter and the way they are combining, new machines maybe...the stalks appear to be cut/broken down at or less than 6"...few years ago stalk lengths coming out of the baler could be found at 1 to 2 foot. I don't know enough about the harvesting equipment to explain why this is. All i do know is I'm buying 4x5.5 corn stalk rolls (dense that rolls out nicely too) with 1.25 wraps. Even the stalks appear pulverised, broken apart with pith exposed. Wasn't the case two years ago. Maybe someone in here can explain why that is.
Either a shredder was run across before baling or as Simme said, a stalk chopper on the combine.