Grazing Corn Residue ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Purina 30-13 tubs and limited free choice hay. Make them clean up the hay. Don't be afraid to make them wait 12-24hours between bales.

How long will they be on stalks? I've found you can get 3-4 weeks per head per acre stand alone, and they'll pick all winter if accessible.

I'd give them a couple pounds of cubes maybe. If there's much corn for them to eat they'll do really well on stalks.

I'm like SBMF, be stingy so to speak on the hay especially at first.

I always feed hay on the crop field part, especially on the weakest part of the field or in a little wash. Just as well improve the soil any way you can.

Purina 30-13 tubs and limited free choice hay. Make them clean up the hay. Don't be afraid to make them wait 12-24hours between bales.
Tubs are expensive here. I would rather supplement with a better quality hay. I realize it depends on the percentage of hay in the ration - - but what range of hay protein level should it take to keep cow pies from stacking up?

Last edited:
Tubs are expensive here. I would rather supplement with a better quality hay. I realize it depends on the percentage of hay in the ration - - but what range of hay protein level should it take to keep cow pies from stacking up?
Convince is expensive. My cows run on stalks, get free choice hay, and a TMR (of corn silage, protein, and min) during winter. Finally convinced dad I can feed bagged protein cheaper than tubs.

Did some searches. One study showed cows in "adequate BCS" did not need a protein supplement with corn residue. Since I am grazing pairs in the Artic Vortex - - I think this does not apply. Using alfalfa did not appear attractive either. Sounds like "good" grass hay or DDG is the way to go.

Did some searches. One study showed cows in "adequate BCS" did not need a protein supplement with corn residue. Since I am grazing pairs in the Artic Vortex - - I think this does not apply. Using alfalfa did not appear attractive either. Sounds like "good" grass hay or DDG is the way to go.
My experience feeding baled cornstalks was that dry cows did well on it but I would imagine lactating cows would need a bit of help.

Ken

Hay is expensive where I am, full of nitrites too due to drought...I using better quality tub feeds/mixed....and will save 50% over winter costs. HAY SUCKS and to TOO COSTLY. I'm sure the prices will fall dramatically when February comes around...and there's round bails everywhere clogging up the hay producer's homesteads. Eyes wide open...all my costs are approaching nil...just have to complete our mild winter in Texas using little to no hay. Hay producers should get their "normal profits" but not "excessive profits" at others people's misery...."I declare War!" The 250 rule will hurt them for years and years beyond this drought. Hay producers and their profits will fall off...starting this year onward. They shot themselves in their foot.

North Dakota has the cheapest hay prices in the nation. Alfalfa is my favorite way to add protein. But wouldn't want to have to buy it. Grain is a lot easier to find and move around.

Are u loading up with more cattle?

Last year I had enough hay to winter 60 cows. This year I have enough hay this year to winter 180 cows... That would be too much fun.
Yes, I plan to add cows. But not at crazy prices. The most I paid (overpaid) for a July calver last spring was $1400. But she's a keeper 3-year-old.

Are u loading up with more cattle?

Last year I had enough hay to winter 60 cows. This year I have enough hay this year to winter 180 cows... That would be too much fun.
My order buyer asked me last spring if I was OK with broken mouth cows. Told him, "No." Dumbest thing I ever said. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Yes, I plan to add cows. But not at crazy prices.
We went from prevent plant to drought in 90 days, and then the calf market peaked in September. So the boys are not fighting over bred cows yet.

If you believe the talking heads - - some two or three and done cows will make you money. Do you have experience wintering BM cows?

Pairs are now on corn fields. What type of hay and protein level would be ideal as a free choice supplement?
Good thread for me as I am planning to utilize 200 acres of corn stocks Fall 2023. I think the easiest way to supplement would be cake or DDGS, keeping in mind my cows are rebreeding in Nov./December.

Hay is expensive where I am, full of nitrites too due to drought... HAY SUCKS and to TOO COSTLY. Hay producers should get their "normal profits" but not "excessive profits" at others people's misery...."I declare War!" The 250 rule will hurt them for years and years beyond this drought. Hay producers and their profits will fall off...starting this year onward. They shot themselves in their foot.
yes, but of the 250 only 6-8 farm and only 1 buys hay and 1 sells it.

A Friend of mine custom feeds 1600 head of cows on corn stalks.rotational grazing moving daily and only suplimemt he uses is range blocks.

The 250 rule says everyone will know 250 people in their lifetime who they can influence.
The 250 rule by car salesman turned motivational speaker/sales trainer and author Joe Girard. 1928-2019 age 90
Authored the book "How to sell anything to anybody," in addition to 4 other books on salesmanship.
In his 15 year auto sales career 1963-1978 Girard averaged selling 866 vehicles per year at a Chevrolet dealership in Detroit.
Joe Girard was recognized by the Guiness Book of World Records for personally selling the most cars in a single year, 1,425 in 1973.

Last edited:

Latest posts