Grazing Corn Residue ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Hay is expensive where I am, full of nitrites too due Hay producers should get their "normal profits" but not "excessive profits" at others people's misery...."I declare War!" The 250 rule will hurt them for years and years beyond this drought. Hay producers and their profits will fall off...starting this year onward. They shot themselves in their foot.
So are you going to sell your cattle for the same price this year and for the next 3-4 years as last year so as not to make "excessive profits"
If not how can you expect anyone else to do what you aren't willing to do.
Commodities are cyclical. Sometimes you make good profit sometimes you loose your butt, sometimes you break even .
That's the way it works
You can't expect someone to sell hay a break even prices during a decrease in supply and an increase in demand on hay . When you expect to sell your cattle at current market prices.

Good thread for me as I am planning to utilize 200 acres of corn stocks Fall 2023. I think the easiest way to supplement would be cake or DDGS, keeping in mind my cows are rebreeding in Nov./December.
Of course I realize it may be an awful chore to cake cows on corn in North Dakota because of deep snow, but cake trained cows will pretty much come when I call them. And the water source is in the barnyard.

Of course I realize it may be an awful chore to cake cows on corn in North Dakota because of deep snow, but cake trained cows will pretty much come when I call them. And the water source is in the barnyard.
I'm sure it will be worth the effort.

So are you going to sell your cattle for the same price this year and for the next 3-4 years as last year so as not to make "excessive profits"
If not how can you expect anyone else to do what you aren't willing to do.
Commodities are cyclical. Sometimes you make good profit sometimes you loose your butt, sometimes you break even .
That's the way it works
You can't expect someone to sell hay a break even prices during a decrease in supply and an increase in demand on hay . When you expect to sell your cattle at current market prices.
I'm "with you"...hay producer prices and profits are fine...I'm seeking a good solid strong hay supplier relationship....that's really been a weak area in Texas. I can see where a local hay producer coop is needed maybe FSA controlled...whereby cattle producers and horse lovers (crazied)...can choose their supplier and place..mark down their hay needs for the year and their payment plan--pay in full, or % down. It's tough to find who is doing what nearby you.

Another consideration is to do everything within reason improve your own forage situation. This could run from rearranging pastures or
resizing them and making some changes in where they water. Of course a lot depends upon the time and resources one has available
to spend on such a project. The responsibilities of full time employment would certainly curtail any hopes of a rotational grazing program
being a successful solution. Seed and fertilizer is always a consideration if you have a piece of ground that you can sacrifice for a few
months. Try to get to the place where you do not have to rely on outside sources for most of your forage requirements. Once you get
to the point of self sufficiency you will find the opportunity to buy extra forage for a most reasonable price. I kind of admire the way
Levi Strauss mined gold. Once you get the land producing at or near its potential you will most likely gravitate toward people with the
same philosophy and the type of cattle that will work best for you. Now I'm thinking about Levi. He was definitely on to something.

Another consideration is to do everything within reason improve your own forage situation.
Sounds great. But forage doesn't grow under 3 feet of snow. No matter how much improving you do

Little excitement here on hay or bred cows. A few are dispersing calving cows. Guess corn still looks better to most people.
Bought some usable bred cows for U$S 1.01 per pound last week. Got a new calf yesterday.
Bought some lower quality cow hay for U$S 63 per ton delivered this week.