Corn fed

Help Support CattleToday:

BFE

Reaction score
IMG_1417.jpegIMG_1418.jpegIMG_1419.jpegIMG_1420.jpeg
Turned some of the girls onto a corn stalk field today. Some are already finding a few ears, some are more interested in the little winter annuals like in picture three. The fourth picture shows the remnants of the cereal rye I wet baled this spring before planting corn.

I got 56 5x5 wet bales and 180+ bushel corn off this field this year, best corn I ever raised on this poor ground. I figure there's 5-6 weeks of grazing for this group as long as the weather holds good. If every field had this much production every year I'd be wealthy.

Are you dry or have you gotten rain ?
We've had a fairly dry year. We didn't have a drop of rain in June, and not much since the first of September, but had some nice timely rain in July and August. We had 1.2" over the weekend, but you can drive anywhere you want today. Not as bad as many of you on here, I won't complain.

The new corn hybrids really perform on limited rain compared to the old days, as long as they're timely. We really got lucky on that end of the deal, 25 years ago it would've been 80 bushel not 180 on a year like this.

IMG_1696.jpeg
Turned out on stockpile today. Lots of short clover in with the fescue, green and tender.

The cows have put on some since I turned them out on the stalks, I gave them some wet baled cereal rye that tested over 12% in the last few weeks. Been warm and drier than normal this winter, hopefully everyone should be in top shape for calving season in march.

View attachment 39201
Turned out on stockpile today. Lots of short clover in with the fescue, green and tender.

The cows have put on some since I turned them out on the stalks, I gave them some wet baled cereal rye that tested over 12% in the last few weeks. Been warm and drier than normal this winter, hopefully everyone should be in top shape for calving season in march.
I notice you have a lot of brown in yours just like clinchvalley86 and myself. I don't have much clover now.

I notice you have a lot of brown in yours just like clinchvalley86 and myself. I don't have much clover now.
Beside this pasture is a 4 acre dry lot, has short white clover and winter annuals in it. They were all out in it a couple hours after I turned them out, picking what they could there. I plan on spreading crabgrass in this lot this winter and letting hoof action put it in. Hopefully have something for the summer slump.

Beside this pasture is a 4 acre dry lot, has short white clover and winter annuals in it. They were all out in it a couple hours after I turned them out, picking what they could there. I plan on spreading crabgrass in this lot this winter and letting hoof action put it in. Hopefully have something for the summer slump.
If that was here the crabgrass would probably come without sowing. I like crabgrass a lot. It will grow when not much else will.

If that was here the crabgrass would probably come without sowing. I like crabgrass a lot. It will grow when not much else will.
There's crabgrass there, but this is the quick n big improved variety. I bought a couple bags to try out.

I have another 4-5 acre lot with two horses and from 2 currently to 7 cows on it last summer. Unimproved crabgrass, I fed maybe two bales since last spring. Had a younger open red angus that got fat as a tick on it, I butchered her. I'll take it.