Corn stalk rolls?

Help Support CattleToday:

Yeah 25-30. I mow my stalks before I bale them. I got a little over 5 bales per acre. So $125-150 per acre in value.
These were mowed also. I figure i can buy some cheaper than that. Might try a few. Its next-door so no trucking.
Im more interested in organic and fertilizer value than nutrition.

These were mowed also. I figure i can buy some cheaper than that. Might try a few. Its next-door so no trucking.
Im more interested in organic and fertilizer value than nutrition.
It takes them a little while to break down, but they do add some mulch benefit wherever they go. Our Bermuda loves growing in it after the fact

We just call them "a belly fooler" they have more nutritional value than straw, but that's about it.
The worst part is that it takes so long for corn stalks to break down. Their not a fast source of organic matter.
This would be on pasture land so really no hurry. Just need organic matter so looking at whats available.

I kinda wonder what herbicide is sprayed on them sometimes. One patch took about 6 months for anything to grow, another had grass grow quickly.

Most sell around here for $30-50 a roll... they are HARD on the balers... lots of dirt picked up... but they do add value to the land like you are looking for. And.... they do make good mulch for any other crop coming through as they break down slowly..... Had never figured the value.... they were a good source of "belly filler" a few years ago when hay was scarce up here.... then the following year the same farmer could barely give them away and we got a bunch since they were close for like $25/roll.... I liked them and the cows did a lot of picking and eating their way through them, rolled out on the ground. Got to make sure they get extra protein when feeding them, but they are great for filling the rumen and having it functioning better with the roughage...so what they eat comes out as more usable "fertilizer".... pretty much a win/win in the long run if they are not too expensive.

Most sell around here for $30-50 a roll... they are HARD on the balers... lots of dirt picked up... but they do add value to the land like you are looking for. And.... they do make good mulch for any other crop coming through as they break down slowly..... Had never figured the value.... they were a good source of "belly filler" a few years ago when hay was scarce up here.... then the following year the same farmer could barely give them away and we got a bunch since they were close for like $25/roll.... I liked them and the cows did a lot of picking and eating their way through them, rolled out on the ground. Got to make sure they get extra protein when feeding them, but they are great for filling the rumen and having it functioning better with the roughage...so what they eat comes out as more usable "fertilizer".... pretty much a win/win in the long run if they are not too expensive.
So if im grazing 19% protein fescue it could be a good filler ?

@kenny thomas , I would say yes to a point.... all according to how much they are consuming... here goes the debate on the protein tubs... BUT... we found that the tubs were more sensible for them to work on when we fed the stalks because we did not have other options like the fescue you have. And feeding "feed or grain" was just not practical there... the tubs gave them enough I guess because their condition improved and they looked and acted full..... If they are more in a "maintenance " condition, then I would see no reason that the 2 would not work together well. And if they don't eat alot of it, it will still break down into organic matter....but our cows liked them to a point of staying "full" and seemed content...

I would think that in your case they ought to work out good... and maybe make them eat more of the cornstalks just before opening up a new section so it will dilute the high protein on initial changing sections to graze.

I'm toying with buying some I am a bit short on hay and don't want to sell any more cattle. Hay and stockpile is lower on CP this year. I didn't test this year but I noticed cows not cleaning up unrolled hay and then got an email from Matt Booher our local extension agent on just that - protein is down 2-3 points in his sample set. So we are already supplementing with tubs and wheat mids.

Worth trying a few. I can unroll on the sections they just finished grazing and also frost seed some fescue and let them mash the seed in.
Merry Christmas! The corn stalks we've had didn't unroll.... they just kind of "exploded" after pulling net wrap off. Due to drought, we only got one cutting this year. We bought some corn stalk bales to get us by and just started feeding it on poorer ground for some poor man's pasture renovation.

The corn stalks would probably be as good as tobacco stalks. Come springtime the grass was green around them and bigger than anywhere else as I remember.

Organic matter isn't like nutrients/fertilizer when applied to the soil. Nutrients will break down and peculate though/into the soil and is incorporated. Organic matter does not work its way into the soil. It remains on the soil surface as thatch or mulch and breaks down. Logically, it would seem like the solution to this would be to till the OM into the soil. This will work only to a limited extent and only if you have a lot of OM to incorporate. The reason being, believe it or not, you end up losing just as much if not more OM already in the soil by exposing it to air when tilling it than you end up incorporating by tillage. IF you have a HIGH amount of earthworm activity. The earthworms can and will carry the OM underground and incorporate it, but activity is lacking more often than not. The best way to incorporate OM into soil is by growing roots that then die in place.

Latest posts