Wheat no tilled?

Help Support CattleToday:

fnfarms1

Reaction score
So after attending a class on regen grazing etc I learned how beneficial cover crops can be. Started back in the summer with Sudan. Next about 2wks ago we no tilled wheat in. Both times I hired the notilling done because I don't own a drill and I think it's a lot like hay baling, I don't do enough to justify the equipment. Sudan was 10acres, wheat is a 10 and 20acre fields. Keep in mind, I grew up old school, grazing until hay is needed. Feed hay until it's no longer needed. No tilling was never considered in my family,
That all said giving you some background for my question as a new wheat grazer. How do I know when to start grazing it? I was told to graze it once it "stools" to prevent pulling it out of the ground. I don't know what that means. Others tell me they never pull off it. It was planted Sept 19. This area is around a hay feeding area. I had 6inches of Bermuda on a lot of it that I hope still grows wheat

Attachments

• 71729202076__4C76E4EB-F387-4839-A779-6F790D00657D.jpeg
    71729202076__4C76E4EB-F387-4839-A779-6F790D00657D.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 25
Congratulations on your decision. No tilling has a multitude of benefits. I've been nearly 100% no till on my farms for 25 plus years.

To answer your question, a lot will depend on soil conditions. Very wet, it will pull up easier. Either way, it needs to get well established before grazing.

What is your area?

Congratulations on your decision. No tilling has a multitude of benefits. I've been nearly 100% no till on my farms for 25 plus years.

To answer your question, a lot will depend on soil conditions. Very wet, it will pull up easier. Either way, it needs to get well established before grazing.

What is your area?
NE Oklahoma. Fairly flat ground, good black soil, very Little Rock's with mixed clay.

When it looks like a clump of fescue and it's about 6 inches tall you can graze it. Don't let it get so tall it sends out the flag leaf, but you shouldn't have to worry about that until spring. Depending on the rain, you'll probably be able to start grazing mid November or Thanksgiving safely.

When it looks like a clump of fescue and it's about 6 inches tall you can graze it. Don't let it get so tall it sends out the flag leaf, but you shouldn't have to worry about that until spring. Depending on the rain, you'll probably be able to start grazing mid November or Thanksgiving safely.
I grazed it this last week a few days. Simply because I needed to gather cows for fall working/preg check and didn't have a choice. Boy do they not want to come back off of it.lol

If you still have some summer grass available I would sure graze it first. The wheat won't go anywhere unless bugs eat it. If you are feeding hay then try grabbing and pulling on a tuff and see how hard it is to pull out of the ground.

If you still have some summer grass available I would sure graze it first. The wheat won't go anywhere unless bugs eat it. If you are feeding hay then try grabbing and pulling on a tuff and see how hard it is to pull out of the ground.
Yeah after we worked cows, they went back to the north pasture. It does not have any wheat. Bermuda and fescue is greening back up. I'll leave them there until I have to bring them back to the wheat. Might even feed them hay there for bit if i think it'd help, we will see.
Turned calves out in the other wheat pasture today. I've got about 45days until I plan to sell 75% of them so I figure I might as well get some use of the wheat and save some feed.