Rain vs no rain

Help Support CattleToday:

I tried to bale some hay tonight, but got rained out. At least I got about half of it. The forecast is calling for rain for the next four or five days, dang, that would have been some nice hay.

I only mowed my lawn 2 times this year...once in March and then in April. Finally got 1" rain at the house and 1/2" at the ranchland a few days ago....seems about right, cattle left out again. At 98 degrees with sun the next morning most of it evaporated. Hay is gone from my area, corn hay sometimes, buying milo now....cattle still grazing the dry matter and greener weeds...and leafs from the trees. Getting the livestock trailer ready...for a few. Still wishing for rain.
What's funny was 1/2 mile from my ranchland they got a full 2" rain....it was pockets of rain.

I only mowed my lawn 2 times this year...once in March and then in April. Finally got 1" rain at the house and 1/2" at the ranchland a few days ago....seems about right, cattle left out again. At 98 degrees with sun the next morning most of it evaporated. Hay is gone from my area, corn hay sometimes, buying milo now....cattle still grazing the dry matter and greener weeds...and leafs from the trees. Getting the livestock trailer ready...for a few. Still wishing for rain.
What's funny was 1/2 mile from my ranchland they got a full 2" rain....it was pockets of rain.
I have got 3" over the last week, the difference is staggering.
Cypress creek had stopped running, never seen that in my lifetime.
It is running again about 4" wide and 2" deep.

Went to walk out of the sale barn yesterday and the sky had openned up. It was pouring. They stopped the sale. All the people working out side had headed for cover. Then there was some hail mixed it. A few minutes it was big marble sized hail. When the hail stopped I made a dash to the car. About 5 miles down the road it was dry.

Wed we got a couple of downpours... About 3-3:30 p.m. we were getting in some nut case cows to take to the sale and it opened up. There was some hail mixed into ours too. Got totally drenched.... got the cows in and I ran home to get another couple shirts for son and I... he got the cows in the barn and we sorted the 3 calves off. He had gotten the one bull to come out of the bull lot and he left him in the next lot to come to the barn and after we got the cows in, the bull came up and he opened the gate and in he came. This sorry SOB has not stayed in his pastures with the cows we put him in with the last 2 years... always winds up at a neighbors... takes his shoulder and will push against posts and either breaks them off or gets them loose and out they come... not mean just gotten too big and ornery to do anything with. Had not been able to get him to come up to the barn but this time it all just worked.
Still raining as we loaded the cows to go... 3 culls and 3 breds that have attitudes.... Bull weighed 2110... brought $1.10 which was nice. cull cows brought in the 60's-70's but they were all smaller 1,000 lb or less and decent flesh... all had crummy calves due to not having much milk, last time and 2 open and 1 idiot, not checked. 3 breds were nothing special... had attitudes. The heifer was a little smaller, 1/4 th jersey 3/4 angus and totally insane... raised on a nurse cow no less... would run over you.. she brought 1100 and the other 2 were about 900 I think. Glad to get them gone and the bull helped to make it a decent night. Freed up a field where they were so it can grow back for something that comes home in the fall. Kept the 3 calves that were small, one has pinkeye that we treated... will feed them some grain and then take them up to another place where they will have plenty of grass and they will be with about 6 others that are on cows and have learned to come in for some grain through the creep gate. 3 are on the nurse cow there, so after a few days there, in the lot, once they learn about the grain in the bunk, they will be allowed out and should associate the barn and me with feed and start coming in with the others through the creep gate. They will be kept until we have something else to go to town. I know feed costs, but they have not had a very good chance and at least 2 of them ought to come along with some grain. The third I think is just going to be a runt but not making a separate trip for it.

Then it poured again on the way home about 8-9 p.m. We wound up getting 2.8 inches in those 2 rains.
Not going to knock it... we have had a very wet summer in comparison to normal and much much wetter than so many others. VERY thankful for it. Has been a pain to try to make hay in between... and some of the quality is not the very best... but we have hay and that is what matters. The corn looks soooo good and will make some fantastic silage.....
I would gladly send some of this rain to you guys in the south. We are supposed to have 2-3 days of sun and back to 30-50% chance of rain all next week....

Forget the damn hay...be happy for the rain. You're talking Nutz
Unfortunately it was just enough to stop me; we didn't get hardly anything in the rain gage. Raked it on to some dry ground late yesterday morning, and baled it that afternoon. The forecast was a 40% chance late that afternoon, and evening. Ended up getting nothing. Maybe I should have left the hay on the ground. They are calling for a 50% chance tonight, and a 60% chance for tomorrow.

Later today (Monday)
Not something I've seen since I arrived here mid May:

ISSUED: 2:39 PM AUG. 21, 2022 – NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE
...FLOOD WATCH IN EFFECT FROM MONDAY MORNING THROUGH MONDAY
EVENING...

* WHAT...Flooding caused by excessive rainfall is possible.

* WHERE...Portions of North and Central Texas including the
following counties Bell, Bosque, Comanche, Coryell, Falls,
Freestone, Hamilton, Hill, Lampasas, Limestone, McLennan, Mills,
Navarro, Anderson, Henderson, Leon, Milam and Robertson.

* WHEN...From Monday morning through Monday evening.

* IMPACTS...Flooding may occur in urban and poor-drainage areas.
Heavy rainfall could also cause flooding of creeks, streams, and
rivers.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...
- Rainfall totals of 2 to 5 inches, with isolated amounts in
excess of 8 inches.

Later today (Monday)
Not something I've seen since I arrived here mid May:

ISSUED: 2:39 PM AUG. 21, 2022 – NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE
...FLOOD WATCH IN EFFECT FROM MONDAY MORNING THROUGH MONDAY
EVENING...

* WHAT...Flooding caused by excessive rainfall is possible.

* WHERE...Portions of North and Central Texas including the
following counties Bell, Bosque, Comanche, Coryell, Falls,
Freestone, Hamilton, Hill, Lampasas, Limestone, McLennan, Mills,
Navarro, Anderson, Henderson, Leon, Milam and Robertson.

* WHEN...From Monday morning through Monday evening.

* IMPACTS...Flooding may occur in urban and poor-drainage areas.
Heavy rainfall could also cause flooding of creeks, streams, and
rivers.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...
- Rainfall totals of 2 to 5 inches, with isolated amounts in
excess of 8 inches.
So far we haven't had a drop, even with the scattered stuff. Hoping we get some.

I took off from my day job Friday and managed to sew a ton of ryegrass on a nice sunny day. We've gotten a bit over 3 inches of rain since. Happy days! (if it don't wash away)
Still to early to be putting winter grass down here. I put a ton of Milo in some failed Sudan over the weekend. Should be enough moisture to get it up and if it stays wet enough time to get a stand before frost. Felt like gambling. There's side benefits to planting august Milo as well.. 😉
IMG_20220820_153538.jpg

Latest posts