Rain vs no rain

Help Support CattleToday:

that's awful.

We're getting all your rain up here. 10" a county or two to the north of me and some golf ball sized hail last night. Wish we could send you some down.

For me 2011 was worse but this one may end the worse before its over. In 2011 it was dry and the ponds were low when it started. Way more water problems then than now.
We had a couple of rains in April that gave us some moisture and topped off the tanks. It was too late to save the oats but it got the grass started. Very little since then. My Sorghum Almum looked similar to Fence's sudan so I grazed it out and disced it under.

My ponds are getting dangerous now and the last of the grass is going away. My next move in two weeks is early weaning the spring calves and further herd reductions. Looking grim.

Their is a field of haygrazer planted behind oats. After the oats got baled he got the haygrazer planted and it raind an inch. 2 weeks later it rained 2.5 inches. I thought he hit it just right. Well, the next rain it got was .05 last week. Looks like yours except his came up.

So far this year we had 9 inches by May 24. In 2011 we didn't have 9 inches till November 1.

Last edited:
Here is what one of my pastures looked like in 2016. July I had closed the cows out to doze out and rebuild fences. Once the fence was down I began to rain. Records show 8 rain days in August. Total 7 inches. Had 2.2 inches in June and none in July.

Those were the days...

IMG_2224.JPG

IMG_2326.JPGIMG_2329.JPG

Fence, I see you're not paying the preacher. Doesn't matter, I tried it, don't work. If you cut out the middle man and sign up for direct deposit you won't have these problems.

I have some "irrigated" Sudan that gets an inch or so of water every 10-15 days. Really doesn't look much better than that in some places. The tight ground or really sandy ground have spots that it just completely died in got a few good spots that are 4 feet tall. Guess I'm just gonna strip graze it.

For me 2011 was worse but this one may end the worse before its over. In 2011 it was dry and the ponds were low when it started. Way more water problems then than now.
We had a couple of rains in April that gave us some moisture and topped off the tanks. It was too late to save the oats but it got the grass started. Very little since then. My Sorghum Almum looked similar to Fence's sudan so I grazed it out and disced it under.

My ponds are getting dangerous now and the last of the grass is going away. My next move in two weeks is early weaning the spring calves and further herd reductions. Looking grim.
We got rain in the spring of 2011 and made some hay.
We went into this with a dry winter.

I hate it for everyone in these drought areas. Here, it thunderstorms 2 or 3 days a week, with sunny weather even during the day time rains. People are mowing their lawns every 4 days or so. And bushogging pastures that are carrying a lot of cattle. People have made a LOT of hay, which means hay prices were low in the field, so those who f grow hay to sell are gonna lose money. I remember in 1986 we had a drought. Quit raining in May and never rained again til Chistmas week. I started building my house Oct 1st, and had to drill holes to put up the batter boards. 42" auger never brought up moist earth. I finished the house 2nd week in December, and never got a drop of rain on it. There were groups of farmers form Texas, Missouri, and 2 more states that I can't remember, that sent trainloads of hay down here. I will be at a meeting with our Ag Com. this week, and I will ask Gary about how to go about returning the favor. Someone else may have already thought of this, If so, I will find out and post it here.

2011 was worse for us. This time around we got the early rains but had low overnight temps that slowed the early grass down. When it turned hot and dry though it happened at a rapid rate. I'm still good on grass but know allot that aren't. Hopefully mid September the rains will start back and that grass will get a few weeks of extra boost. Hot, dry, fuel @$4+ a gallon, hay @ $80-100 a bale, feeds $350+ a ton.......welcome to the ag sector I guess.

Depends on if I have hay down. We got some rain tonight; fortunately I didn't have any hay down, but a buddy of mine does.

The rains here are scattered. If you are under one you may get 1-2" and a half mile away 1-2 tenths. Wednesday we got 1.7" on two pastures next to each other that came fast. On the rest we got .05-.6. We are thankful for every drop,

Latest posts