Drill vs Conservation Seeder

Help Support CattleToday:

txdc

Reaction score
Hello,

Hoping to get advice on how we can get our seed to germinate without tilling up the pasture. We get a lot of water run off so we are moving to no till, hoping to get the pasture established so we can get some sheep or goats once the pasture is established. We are new to homesteading and are going on a year here with not a lot of success so far establishing the pasture. Either the rain washes everything away or there is just not enough rain to germinate the seed.

We have a 47 hp tractor and various broadcast seeders and a crimper. We are looking at the RTP Genesis 3, Saya 505, and the Greenscape Conservation Seeder. I haven't seen a lot of success stories with any of these pieces of equipment and they all come with a high price tag and don't wont to get the selection wrong.

Any guidance is appreciated, we are hoping to get the best piece of equipment and get this pasture established and keep it going all year long with cover cropping and rye/bermuda. The soil is 91% clay, it gets soft and sticky when wet and very compacted when dry. We are in zone 8a.

Thanks,
Donovan

We did go down the route of calling the local conservation offices and trying to locate a place to rent a drill. The conservation office, and other places, (near Farmersville TX) stopped renting or lending them out a while back because of the ongoing maintenance. We hunted a place down for some months to no avail. We did finally find someone that was willing to drive out with his drill, for a fee of course, but he is a ways out and still waiting to get him out here.

If this is going to be a permanent type seeding then I would pay someone to come and plant one time. My bias is that I would mix and plant as many of the possible species that work in the region and zone as I could in the planting. I would try to afford the best selections and improved varieties. The attempt is to make it a one time deal, get a stand, let the survival of the fittest happen and you not have to buy a NT drill or some sort of planter. I do not know your acres but if I had to buy one it would be a used one in good shape and it would not be a heavy drill for a 47 HP tractor. With the clay and the sticky and I'm guessing dry and hard options depending on moisture, I would avoid a Brillion seeds as there would be limited days when it would really work well.

You can always come back in other times and broadcast legumes and such.

Have you done soil samples to see what your PH is and what your soil needs to make grass grow? Also talk with your local NRCS and extension agents and see if they have any reccomendations for species of grass and what will work for your enviroment. I wouldn't just throw good money at the problem hoping it sticks. There are tons of free resources available. If your PH is off or your ground just plain poor, grass seed will not come up or will grow poorly and not establish.

PH looks good, phosphorus is low. I added snapshots of one of the reports. The pasture is only 3.5 acres at most. We are wanting it to to be a very productive 3.5 acres and hopefully get some animals next year if the pasture can get well established.

Below is what we have ready from GreenCover seeds. This may be planted Friday if the guy with the no till drill makes it out this week. He may be added hairy vetch and pees to the mix as well.

Alsike Clover - OMRI Exceed Pre-Coat Inoculated × 4
1lb

Spring Oats (Hayden) × 39
1lb

Cereal Rye (Elbon) × 30
1lb

Winter Wheat (Gore Soft Red) - Beardless × 36
1lb

Gunner 934271498 Triticale × 36
1lb

Annual Ryegrass - Tetraploid × 9
1lb

Annual Ryegrass - Diploid × 9
1lb

Cosaque Black Oats × 32
1lb

Smart Radish × 4
1lb

Kale (Bayou Kale-Rape Hybrid) × 4
1lb

Nitro Radish × 4
1lb

Winter Camelina × 4
1lb

White Mustard (White Gold) × 3
1lb

African Cabbage: VNS × 4
1lb

Safflower (Baldy) × 5
1lb

Caliber Chicory × 2
1lb

Plantain (Boston) × 2
1lb

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 12
PH looks good, phosphorus is low. I added snapshots of one of the reports. The pasture is only 3.5 acres at most. We are wanting it to to be a very productive 3.5 acres and hopefully get some animals next year if the pasture can get well established.

Below is what we have ready from GreenCover seeds. This may be planted Friday if the guy with the no till drill makes it out this week. He may be added hairy vetch and pees to the mix as well.

Alsike Clover - OMRI Exceed Pre-Coat Inoculated × 4
1lb

Spring Oats (Hayden) × 39
1lb

Cereal Rye (Elbon) × 30
1lb

Winter Wheat (Gore Soft Red) - Beardless × 36
1lb

Gunner 934271498 Triticale × 36
1lb

Annual Ryegrass - Tetraploid × 9
1lb

Annual Ryegrass - Diploid × 9
1lb

Cosaque Black Oats × 32
1lb

Smart Radish × 4
1lb

Kale (Bayou Kale-Rape Hybrid) × 4
1lb

Nitro Radish × 4
1lb

Winter Camelina × 4
1lb

White Mustard (White Gold) × 3
1lb

African Cabbage: VNS × 4
1lb

Safflower (Baldy) × 5
1lb

Caliber Chicory × 2
1lb

Plantain (Boston) × 2
1lb
Your PH might actually be a little high, if soil is too alkaline that can be a problem just like it being too acidic, grasses typically grow best at a PH between 6.5-7.5.

Latest posts