Weednaster Generic vs Grazon Next

Help Support CattleToday:

RBP

Reaction score
Is Weednaster stronger than Grazon Next for weed control n pastures. I have used Grazon Next in the past, but used Weednaster Generic this year (June). Seems like the Weednaster has killed some of the bermuda grass too. Any experiences with Weednaster generic you can share with me?

Not sure the question about "stronger" can be answered. Weedmaster is a mix of 2,4-D and dicamba. Grazon next is mix of 2,4-D and Aminopyralid. They are different chemicals with a different list of weeds they will kill/control. Some overlap on the list of weeds, but some different. One may be "stronger" on some weeds and the other "stronger" on other weeds. Really can't say that one is stronger than the other. Grazon next has a fairly long residual (kills some germinating seed weeks/months after application). Both have 2,4-D which I think requires a license to purchase/apply in Texas (no license required here). Some crops will be very susceptible to drift from the dicamba in weedmaster (2,4-d as well), but some of that risk has been eliminated with GMO herbicide ready crops in some soybean and cotton varieties.

Applying herbicides late (June) seems to cause more burning of desirable grasses. Also when it is very hot. Also in drought, which may also make it less effective on weed control. Overlapping will double the rate and may cause burning as well. Tank mix with remedy will burn bermuda as well. Neither will "kill" bermuda, but may burn it badly. Very hard to really "kill" bermuda. People wanting to get rid of bermuda wish that were the case, but bermuda will come back from a single application of most herbicides.

Point is to review the label for weeds controlled, application rate, gallons of water per acre, time of year and other condition issues. My opinion is that Grazon Next will be "stronger" on most weeds (but not all) and Weedmaster will be "stronger" on some weeds (dog fennel) and stronger on hurting your neighbor's cotton and soybeans depending on variety.

Good description by Simme. Grazon Next does not require a license in Texas, Weedmaster and generics do. If mixed according to labels, neither should do much to Bermuda. Mixing stronger than label says will yellow up Bermuda and other desirable grasses and is a waste of money.

I use the generic Brash for most applications and I am very happy with the results and the price but my pastures are not in real bad shape and don't have woody type plants and bunches of milkweed where the Next shines. Next also has a much stronger residual as noted. For first application, Next is hard to beat. After you get some control you can go with the much cheaper product. If I feel I need a broader coverage I mix Patriot with the Brash. Patriot is very economical to use and I have found myself using it more often. Its nice to not have to fool with bottles that you need to clean out and dispose as well as you don't get chemical accidentally splashed on you when mixing. A good surfactant is always a must.

You shouldn't even be spraying this time of year.
That hayfield or pasture should have been sprayed April , May being the latest.
In Texas you're wasting chemicals and diesel after that.
Contact Dr Olson and attend a work shop on zoom or through your local county agent.

Not sure the question about "stronger" can be answered. Weedmaster is a mix of 2,4-D and dicamba. Grazon next is mix of 2,4-D and Aminopyralid. They are different chemicals with a different list of weeds they will kill/control. Some overlap on the list of weeds, but some different. One may be "stronger" on some weeds and the other "stronger" on other weeds. Really can't say that one is stronger than the other. Grazon next has a fairly long residual (kills some germinating seed weeks/months after application). Both have 2,4-D which I think requires a license to purchase/apply in Texas (no license required here). Some crops will be very susceptible to drift from the dicamba in weedmaster (2,4-d as well), but some of that risk has been eliminated with GMO herbicide ready crops in some soybean and cotton varieties.

Applying herbicides late (June) seems to cause more burning of desirable grasses. Also when it is very hot. Also in drought, which may also make it less effective on weed control. Overlapping will double the rate and may cause burning as well. Tank mix with remedy will burn bermuda as well. Neither will "kill" bermuda, but may burn it badly. Very hard to really "kill" bermuda. People wanting to get rid of bermuda wish that were the case, but bermuda will come back from a single application of most herbicides.

Point is to review the label for weeds controlled, application rate, gallons of water per acre, time of year and other condition issues. My opinion is that Grazon Next will be "stronger" on most weeds (but not all) and Weedmaster will be "stronger" on some weeds (dog fennel) and stronger on hurting your neighbor's cotton and soybeans depending on variety.
Thanks Simme. You answered all my questions.

Latest posts