2011 vs 2022

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
I have 2 pictures. One is our last pond in 2011. We moved what we had left of our herds, around 120, into this pasture for convenience of feeding and water. It was October and these cows had been in here for weeks with me pumping water twice a day, some insisted on drinking from pond. 1660656265382.png

This is today August 16th. No cows have been in this pasture for a month.. Just a note, since 2011, we have several new ponds and more that were improved so we dont need this pond for emergency. But just to show just how dry it is and what some people who lease land or people who did not improve their ponds are about to deal with.
1660656404619.png

Guys are digging out this pond today. Rented a backhoe and hope to get it in shape for the next drought. This pond has transitions. Its good when its full. When it goes down a bit, it gets really boggy. So boggy, if i have a thin cow or an older one, i'll pull her out and put her in the sick pen. Then, at the point it is now, its safe to get in about 60% of the sides. But just as soon as i get a sick cow, she'll enter at the other 40%. Digging it out will help this i hope.

Latest posts