Thoughts on this cow (pic)

Help Support CattleToday:

Herefords.US":3751izjx said:
DOC HARRIS":3751izjx said:
This particular white-faced cow is not as non-productive as many others around the country are, but she certainly could be a MUCH more profitable producer than she is presently, whatever your excuses for her may be, and being 'Barn Blind' is not a profitable characteristic for ANY BEEF producer to possess - particularly in these days of high land values, high pasture costs, and high FEED costs.

There are plenty of terrific replacement heifers on the market TODAY (February 2, 2009) - if you will take the bit in your teeth and will just jump in and get your feet wet!

DOC HARRIS

Let's see! JHH said she breeds back regularly and she's raised a decent looking calf that was about 60% of her own weight at 6 months of age, even though she doesn't appear to be helped all that much by the bull she was bred to.

Call me "barn-blind" if you want, but I see "moneymaker" when I look at her.

And I'd certainly give any heifers she had at least a chance at staying around, assuming they were by a bull whose daughters I would want to keep. I'm not at all sure many of those replacement heifers for sale "on the market" will outperform them.

George

I have to go with George on this one. That is one productive cow, she has milker written all over her, which is fine, but often those high milking cows don't breed back, with her you have won the lottery if she continues to do the job. If you get a heifer out of her, I would definetly give the daughter a try, she may not live up to her mother's performance but she just might too. Those little high producing cows efficient cows are money makers.

JHH":13qkehtv said:
Almost forgot she weighed 907 lbs at weaning time calf weighed 598 at 6 months old. She is small framed but she stays. She has never given me a heifer yet. I am waiting and hoping for this year.

so she probably weighs closer to 1050-1100 pounds when not nursing a big calf.
that makes the numbers a more realistic.
i would take a whole herd just like her..

found this and found it interesting.
basicly says weaning weight were the same on calves from 1500 pound cows and 1200 pound cows
heres the link..hope it works

http://www.24-7agtv.com/Joomla/index.ph ... d=0&id=120

Herfordsire i will make you the same offer, you got herford cows i will give you 10 straws of semen for you to use on your herford cows.

Red Bull Breeder":4p6xy9wt said:
Herfordsire i will make you the same offer, you got herford cows i will give you 10 straws of semen for you to use on your herford cows.

Watch out there RBB you will be tempting me to offer some semen to these other breeders to improve their herds. :lol:

Red Bull Breeder":dj6nvpu2 said:

Red Bull Breeder....just for offering, I will see what I can do for you. What what does he look like?

Well Herefordsire we no you like dark red so a dark red one is what you will get. If you will go to www.limigene.com you can choose from D'Hanis Red Fox, EAFF Polled Hummer 530P, Second To None DHan 1216L, SOGF Special K 247B,or SVL Polled Enterprise247R Or SVL Polled Profit 037N. All these bulls are pictured on the limigene wed site.You can PM me your choice and i will arrange for the semen to be shipped to you at no charge to you. All i ask in return is that you use the semen on your cattle and post some pictures of the calves on CT.

Red Bull Breeder":2i42n96h said:
Well Herefordsire we no you like dark red so a dark red one is what you will get. If you will go to http://www.limigene.com you can choose from D'Hanis Red Fox, EAFF Polled Hummer 530P, Second To None DHan 1216L, SOGF Special K 247B,or SVL Polled Enterprise247R Or SVL Polled Profit 037N. All these bulls are pictured on the limigene wed site.You can PM me your choice and i will arrange for the semen to be shipped to you at no charge to you. All i ask in return is that you use the semen on your cattle and post some pictures of the calves on CT.

I'd take some on Second To None, but I'm in Oz ;-)

Outstanding bull, btw :clap:

It is possible there may be some Second to None in OZ keren. I will do some checking to see if any has been shipped to your part of the world. I do know there has been quite a bit of fullblood semen sent over recently.

Red Bull Breeder":19vyjfz2 said:
Well Herefordsire we no you like dark red so a dark red one is what you will get. If you will go to http://www.limigene.com you can choose from D'Hanis Red Fox, EAFF Polled Hummer 530P, Second To None DHan 1216L, SOGF Special K 247B,or SVL Polled Enterprise247R Or SVL Polled Profit 037N. All these bulls are pictured on the limigene wed site.You can PM me your choice and i will arrange for the semen to be shipped to you at no charge to you. All i ask in return is that you use the semen on your cattle and post some pictures of the calves on CT.

That your semen on that website Red Bull Breeder? HAH! I like dark red. Glad you remembered. Makes the cattle look more rich.

I hate to be in disagreement with Doc Harris; but phenotype, genotype, EPDs, DNA, and the rest all go out the window when you are evaluating a commercial brood cow IN production. Pounds of calf per pound of cow exposed is what matters in the pasture. Pretty is what pretty does.

Brandonm22":dphzmwxj said:
I hate to be in disagreement with Doc Harris; but phenotype, genotype, EPDs, DNA, and the rest all go out the window when you are evaluating a commercial brood cow IN production. Pounds of calf per pound of cow exposed is what matters in the pasture. Pretty is what pretty does.

Unless the cow was eating all the profits or everything in sight. After all, she must have a healthy appetite or able to convert hay into milk allot easier.

HerefordSire":3j5pzxdt said:
Brandonm22":3j5pzxdt said:

Unless the cow was eating all the profits or everything in sight. After all, she must have a healthy appetite or able to convert hay into milk allot easier.

What she is doing is converting grass and hay into milk that goes into the calf rather than putting it on her fatt a*s. Some of the day in and day out best looking cows we had growing up weaned some of the more disappointing calves. As far as feed efficiency is concerned, until we have a way of measuring what a range cow is eating, I kind of need to just go with what I can actually measure which is lbs of calf relative to pounds of cow.

Brandonm22":4amm1ut0 said:
HerefordSire":4amm1ut0 said:
Brandonm22":4amm1ut0 said:

What she is doing is converting grass and hay into milk that goes into the calf rather than putting it on her fatt a*s. Some of the day in and day out best looking cows we had growing up weaned some of the more disappointing calves. As far as feed efficiency is concerned, until we have a way of measuring what a range cow is eating, I kind of need to just go with what I can actually measure with is lbs of calf relative to pounds of cow.

Imagine if you had a couple of hundred of them 900 pound milk converters or the same percentages in heavier weighted cows. :mrgreen:

HerefordSire":3q3ryxpt said:
Imagine if you had a couple of hundred of them 900 pound milk converters or the same percentages in heavier weighted cows. :mrgreen:

I bet somebody out there probably did.....and they changed them.

They are not my bulls Herfordsire, but they belong to friends of mine. Just take your pick and PM me your choice and i will see you get the semen in time for spring breeding.

She is one of those back pasture cows...She is not easy on the eyes, but gets the job done.

Brandonm22":2ja62ayr said:
well fortunately that's what makes the world whirl.....

Old molly as doc called her has calved again. I think this will be her last year here. She is getting older and I did get one heifer from her. She is one of the most productive cows I have ever raised and had.

JHH":21c3xhd0 said:
Old molly as doc called her has calved again. I think this will be her last year here. She is getting older and I did get one heifer from her. She is one of the most productive cows I have ever raised and had.

Got a current picture?

Latest posts